Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-18-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
beertapper

0.20 cent supers in Canada

as close as we can get to dime supers.... the wheels of woodbine seem to be moving

via assiniboia downs insider, aug 18/10

Good news for superfecta players!Your chance to play 20-cent superfectas on U.S. races appears to be just around the corner. Sean Pinsonneault, the chief operating officer of Woodbine Entertainment, tells me that his lobbyists are finally getting "traction" with the federal body that oversees horseracing in Canada, the Canadian Pari-Mutuel Association, to allow this to go ahead--perhaps even this fall. The stumbling block had been the fact Canada distributes betting pools differently from bets in the U.S. (Canadians receive more left-over pennies than Americans receive) and it had appeared a Canada Criminal Code amendment would have been required to change the rules. But now it appears sophisticated software developed by Amtote, the company Woodbine uses for its betting operation, will overcome CPMA concerns. Assiniboia Downs uses United Tote but Pinsonneault said it would just be a matter of time before all systems are capable of offering the same opportunities.

So, hallelujah, we may soon have a playing field more equal to that of the Americans who can play dime superfectas and have a chance at getting an entire pool--sometimes in the thousands of dollars--for one thin dime. It will just take two dimes in Canada. Let's hope this happens sooner rather than later.

It's been a busy week with an overloaded stable of news. Let's go . . .

beertapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2010, 09:31 PM   #2
vikingrob

Basically the primary reason why Canada would be using the 20¢ super rather than the 10¢ super is due to the fact breakage in Canada is nickel breakage rather than the dime breakage used in most of the United States (notable exception: New York and its tiered breakage). Because Canada requires the use of nickel breakage on wagers placed in Canada in US-based pools, many races where the same takeout rate is used on a given pool will have a payout that is five cents more on a $1 wager.

However, I wonder if New York deals with the odd half-cent from a 10¢ bet with a payoff on a $1 wager that is not an even multiple of 10¢; for instance, will a $2 super payoff of $121.50 be paid as $6.07 for a 10¢ bet or will it be $6.08?

Last edited by vikingrob; 08-18-2010 at 09:36 PM.
vikingrob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2010, 01:54 AM   #3
snoadog

Woohooo!!! Soon I'll need to increase my reasons for losing the super fivefold!
snoadog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2010, 09:24 AM   #4
Red Knave
dGnr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by beertapper

But now it appears "sophisticated software" "developed by Amtote", the company Woodbine uses for its betting operation, will overcome CPMA concerns.
Now, there's 2 statements you have not likely ever heard together before.

I use HPI and they show a .20 betting unit as being available but I have never been able to figure out what types of wagers it works with. Does anyone know?

The takers get the honey, the givers sing the blues - Robin Trower, Too Rolling Stoned - 1974
Red Knave is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2010, 10:18 AM   #5
beertapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Knave
Now, there's 2 statements you have not likely ever heard together before.

I use HPI and they show a .20 betting unit as being available but I have never been able to figure out what types of wagers it works with. Does anyone know?
0.20 woodbine p4
beertapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #6
Skanoochies

H.P.I.`s 20 cent wager is for trifectas at all Canadian tracks. Wood. Hast. Ft. Erie Northlands Assin. Downs, etc.

Up till a few weeks back you could make pick four bets also for 20 cents, but I tried recently and could not complete the transaction, so I called H.P.I. and was told that 20 cent pick fours were no longer available.

Anyone else have the same problem?
Old 08-19-2010, 02:43 PM   #7
snoadog

Ya, I only ever used the 20 cent wager for Canadian tracks, I just assumed after a few tries that no U.S. tracks allow <$1:00 wagers from Canucks.
snoadog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2010, 04:55 PM   #8
HuggingTheRail
BC Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanoochies
H.P.I.`s 20 cent wager is for trifectas at all Canadian tracks. Wood. Hast. Ft. Erie Northlands Assin. Downs, etc.

Up till a few weeks back you could make pick four bets also for 20 cents, but I tried recently and could not complete the transaction, so I called H.P.I. and was told that 20 cent pick fours were no longer available.

Anyone else have the same problem?
Which track were you trying - I have had no problems with Woodbine...
HuggingTheRail is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2010, 07:41 PM   #9
Skanoochies

HTR....I`m sure I tried wood. and hastings both the same day. Maybe it was just something wrong that day. I`ll call back and ask. Check later.

O.K I just called H.P.I. and 20 cent pick 4s are available for Woodbine, Mohawk, and Australia only.

That bugs me we can`t play hastings.

Last edited by Skanoochies; 08-19-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Skanoochies is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2010, 07:54 PM   #10
HuggingTheRail
BC Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanoochies
HTR....I`m sure I tried wood. and hastings both the same day. Maybe it was just something wrong that day. I`ll call back and ask. Check later.

O.K I just called H.P.I. and 20 cent pick 4s are available for Woodbine, Mohawk, and Australia only.

That bugs me we can`t play hastings.
That is a Hastings decision, they made thier WIN 4 a $1 minimum at the beginning of the meet, and they recently changed the payout rule....now there is no paying out for 3/4 if no one hits 4/4 - now they will carryover if no one hits 4.
HuggingTheRail is offline   Reply With Quote Reply