Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:39 AM   #61
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUSKER55
got beat to the punch. Chris Mathews and Rachel Maddow need to be added to the list.

But so does Big ED Schultz...smug bastard
and yes...our own Robert Fischer

good morning to you too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
Fischer makes a bold move to take the lead turning for home.

ha
I am an arrogant bastard, but I was also poking fun at some of the "only my opinion can be right" in-fighting already going in this thread.

Thought there was some humor there, considering the topic is 'arrogance' after all...

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 02-06-2015 at 09:41 AM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2015, 09:53 AM   #62
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

I will nominate some non-americans, some living, some dead.

Kim Jun-Un (and Il & Sun before him)
Adolph Hitler (of couse)
Robert Mugabe
Idi Amin
Steve 'StatMan' is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2015, 11:07 AM   #63
ArlJim78

I don't think that believing that your opinion is correct is arrogance.
Everyone believes they are correct. you should believe in your opinions and not be afraid to stand up for them. Of course I also would add that you should also keep an open mind and always be willing to fairly challenge your opinions.

Arrogance is acting superior to others. You can have two people who basically agree on an issue, have the exact same opinion, and one of them can be arrogant towards the other while the other is humble or modest.

Conversely you can have two people who hold completely different opinions who do not show any arrogance about it.
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2015, 02:42 PM   #64
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Fischer makes a bold move to take the lead turning for home.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2015, 07:58 PM   #65
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker

Krauthammer's "look" thing is an annoying verbal tick, but I cut him some slack on that because he is informative and presents new ways of looking at issues, something none of the rest do. And amazingly for many I am sure, he is the only one of the five I would credit with a genuine sense of humor.
..he's a paraplegic
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2015, 08:18 PM   #66
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
..he's a paraplegic
The man is in a wheelchair. He manages to drive a car etc. he should be an inspiration.

Krauthammer was born on March 13, 1950, in New York City[2] and raised in Montreal.[3] "My father was a naturalized French citizen. He lived in France most of his life and moved to the United States after the war and got involved in real estate. A friend of his took him on a business trip to Montreal and he was enchanted by the idea of living in a place where French was spoken" .[4] His parents were Orthodox-Jewish and he went to a Hebrew day school. "I got a rigorous Jewish education. I know what it is to be a Jew. There's a difference between being nominally Jewish or sentimentally Jewish and being grounded in Jewish learning".[4] In 1970, he graduated from McGill University with First Class Honors in political science and economics.[5] The following year, he was a Commonwealth Scholar in politics at Balliol College, Oxford, before returning to the United States and entering Harvard Medical School. During Krauthammer's first year of medical school, he was paralyzed in a diving-board accident[2][6] and was hospitalized for 14 months. He has been confined to a wheelchair ever since the accident. He continued his medical studies at Harvard, however, and graduated with his class, earning his M.D. in 1975. From 1975 to 1978, Krauthammer was a resident and then a chief resident in psychiatry at the Massachusetts General Hospital. In 1984, he became board certified in psychiatry by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology.[7] During his time as chief resident, he discovered a variant of manic depressive disease which he called "Secondary Mania".[8] He also co-authored the path-finding study on the epidemiology of mania.[9]

In 1978, Krauthammer moved to Washington, D.C., to direct planning in psychiatric research under the Carter administration.[1] He began contributing articles about politics to The New Republic and in 1980 served as a speech writer to vice president Walter Mondale.[1] In January 1981, Krauthammer joined The New Republic as both a writer and editor.[1] In 1983, he began writing essays for Time magazine, one of which first brought him national acclaim for his development of the "Reagan Doctrine".[10] In 1984, his New Republic essays won the "National Magazine Award for Essays and Criticism".[1] The weekly column he began writing for The Washington Post in 1985 won him the Pulitzer Prize for commentary in 1987.[11] In 1990, he became a panelist for the weekly PBS political roundtable Inside Washington, remaining with the show until it ceased production in December 2013. For the last decade[vague] he has been a political analyst and commentator for Fox News.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:20 PM   #67
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Ralph, I don't think many are aware of Kraut's diving accident.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2015, 10:14 PM   #68
mountainman

I was aware of his disability. And I salute his courage. Nor did I say the man isn't well-qualified to commentate on politics. I simply indicated that I find him extremely arrogant and a world-class know-it-all.

My take is, of course, subjective-a matter of personal taste and opinion. And I couldn't care less if some see it as politically incorrect. Krauthammer gets lots of money to put himself and his opinions out there, and his physical state no way indemnifies him from critique. Nor should it.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2015, 10:20 PM   #69
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman
I was aware of his disability. And I salute his courage. Nor did I say the man isn't well-qualified to commentate on politics. I simply indicated that I find him extremely arrogant and a world-class know-it-all.

My take is, of course, subjective-a matter of personal taste and opinion. And I couldn't care less if some see it as politically incorrect. Krauthammer gets lots of money to put himself and his opinions out there, and his physical state no way indemnifies him from critique. Nor should it.
I don't think anybody implied otherwise. In fact his public persona opens him up for critique. The discussion of his disability came from the comment about his speech pattern/tick, which is obviously related to his disability
Old 02-06-2015, 10:31 PM   #70
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
I don't think anybody implied otherwise. In fact his public persona opens him up for critique. The discussion of his disability came from the comment about his speech pattern/tick, which is obviously related to his disability
Fair enough, Ralph. I've always respected your opinions and enjoyed your postings. You're an institution here. I just drop in from time to time.

Last edited by mountainman; 02-06-2015 at 10:32 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2015, 11:23 PM   #71
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Fair enough, Ralph. I've always respected your opinions and enjoyed your postings. You're an institution here. I just drop in from time to time.
I think most would concur when I say, come back more often.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:31 AM   #72
Dahoss2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartman51
My TOP 5

1. Obama
2. Limbaugh
3. O'Reilly
4. Hillary
5. B. Williams
Great list but Feinstein deserves a spot too
Dahoss2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2015, 10:14 AM   #73
jballscalls

Quote:

Is it him that's a world class know it all, or is it his fans who kind of make him into a know it all as he's thought of as one of the kings of conservative thought. I have friends who never question anything he says and think of him as the gospel.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:57 AM   #74
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballscalls
Is it him that's a world class know it all, or is it his fans who kind of make him into a know it all as he's thought of as one of the kings of conservative thought. I have friends who never question anything he says and think of him as the gospel.
He's been known to take heat. Lots of conservatives were very upset with him when he single handedly shut down Fred Thompson during the early primary season in 2008

He also took heat for being very critical of John McCain early on.

He is a very smart individual. I pay attention to him and love his opinions on baseball. He's a huge fan
Old 02-07-2015, 11:13 AM   #75
johnhannibalsmith

The reason people take Krauthammer so seriously is that he isn't big on running his mouth without something to support it. That alone puts him in some stratosphere of elite babbling pundits. He is logical and people that like to be dictated to in a logical format give immediate credit to his argument just on subconscious style points alone. He's the sort of guy that you can disagree with him, but it almost has to be on principal because you will play hell trying to outmaneuver him in a verbal slugfest on particulars.

But, I do get the arrogant thing. He even tends to look at the camera as though it is no less than eleven inches lower than the tip of his nose. He's the only guy that gets infinity amount of time to wind around his thesis from beginning to end when he's on with Bret Baier and pretty much the only guy that O'Reilly can not figure out for a second how to deal with other than to go take a leak or something when he starts talking. There's this implied respect, like a command presence or whatever they call it when someone's mere presence coverts everyone to a subordinate. It seems to reflect on him so I can see the arrogance thing I guess, but it always seems like more than that.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply