Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 08-22-2017, 10:07 AM   #1
mountainman

Stop Playing the anthem at Nfl games

I stand proudly for the anthem, but support the right of others to kneel, turn their backs, or downright disrespect our flag. In my opinion, that right proves how strong and noble our flag IS.

But from a business standpoint, if NFL owners feel they are being used for a platform, or the forum they provide exploited at real cost to their brand and financial interests, why no simply STOP PLAYING THE ANTHEM.

Not everything is about politics. And there would be nothing unpatriotic about shutting down the anthem before games. Owners are not required to provide players with any particular opportunity to protest.

And before you call such a potential move cowardly, I'll reiterate..not everything is about God and country..the NFL HAS EVERY RIGHT TO PROTECT ITS BRAND AND FINANCIAL INTERESTS.

And I would LOVE to see protesters demand with a straight face that the anthem be resumed-just so they can display contempt for it. How ridiculous would THAT be??????

Last edited by mountainman; 08-22-2017 at 10:18 AM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2017, 12:58 PM   #2
woodbinepmi

Or you could play it while they are still in the locker room.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:42 PM   #3
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
The NFL HAS EVERY RIGHT TO PROTECT ITS BRAND AND FINANCIAL INTERESTS.
The NFL doesn't exist without those who've served and protected our country. If paying respect to that sacrifice by standing for the anthem doesn't suit you, I suggest a mandated trip to Arlington cemetery for those who don't wish to stand. If you refuse to go to Arlington, then you're suspended indefinitely until you do. If you do go, and you still refuse to honor their sacrifice, then you just don't understand the meaning and purpose of why you've been blessed to live in a country where someone else put their lives on the line for YOUR freedom, thus making $millions playing in the NFL....Go be a rebel in the Canadian Football League, I'm sure they'd love you there...

The NFL is taking a public relations BEATING on this issue, they couldn't have handled it any worse.....Goodell is the worst Comish of any sport in my lifetime.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2017, 01:54 PM   #4
delayjf

How about playing the anthem and simply not showing the players who are kneeling. Perhaps fans should start boycotting the products the NFL advertises. I'd be down with that.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2017, 03:39 PM   #5
Dave Schwartz

I am sure that Pat Tillman would be taking a knee if he was out there.
(Yes, that was sarcasm.)

I have the right to my own protest just as Kaepernick and the others have a right to protest, and if the NFL does this, I will show my disagreement by not watching a single game this year.

I am sure that most veterans (myself included) would say that "protest" is a valid way to stand for a cause, and rightful, at that. However, the venue for protest should be appropriate. If an NFL player wants to hold a press conference, fine.

...But. IMHO, what they are doing is called DISRESPECT for the country that supports them; that has given them all that they have.

Just my opinion. Yours may be different.

Dave Schwartz
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2017, 05:05 PM   #6
jimmyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
The NFL doesn't exist without those who've served and protected our country. If paying respect to that sacrifice by standing for the anthem doesn't suit you, I suggest a mandated trip to Arlington cemetery for those who don't wish to stand. If you refuse to go to Arlington, then you're suspended indefinitely until you do. If you do go, and you still refuse to honor their sacrifice, then you just don't understand the meaning and purpose of why you've been blessed to live in a country where someone else put their lives on the line for YOUR freedom, thus making $millions playing in the NFL....Go be a rebel in the Canadian Football League, I'm sure they'd love you there...

The NFL is taking a public relations BEATING on this issue, they couldn't have handled it any worse.....Goodell is the worst Comish of any sport in my lifetime.
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2017, 05:18 PM   #7
FantasticDan
gelding

I don't really get the original post. It's an actual thing that these protests have damaged a team or owner's bottom line? Didn't Kapernick's jersey become the #1 seller after he started his protest?

If any team actually decided to suspend the anthem, the blow back from that would be a million times worse than anything you might be seeing now.
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2017, 05:23 PM   #8
jimmyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
I am sure that Pat Tillman would be taking a knee if he was out there.
(Yes, that was sarcasm.)

I have the right to my own protest just as Kaepernick and the others have a right to protest, and if the NFL does this, I will show my disagreement by not watching a single game this year.

I am sure that most veterans (myself included) would say that "protest" is a valid way to stand for a cause, and rightful, at that. However, the venue for protest should be appropriate. If an NFL player wants to hold a press conference, fine.

...But. IMHO, what they are doing is called DISRESPECT for the country that supports them; that has given them all that they have.

Just my opinion. Yours may be different.

Dave Schwartz
You'll have to speak for yourself. I hold an honorable discharge fron the U.S. Army (1971-1973). I had a surgical consult the the VA Jamaica Plain hospital today. I was watching television in th Pharmacy waiting are with a couple of dozen other vets. The TV had a sports show on when a video of Kapernick appeared. Negative comments and groans with the calls of change the channel. Not one Vet said, 'awwww. c'mon guys, he's right'. I met a guy with two prostetic legs and patched up holes in his right arm. He wears a bandana on his head to cover his wounds. I've not shared this here, but I live in veterans housing. 15 in my building, 9 next door and nine next door to that. We talk sports often and to a man, nobody thinks much of Kapernick. We don't think he's getting a rotten deal, and an overwhelmingly majority of vets feel the same.

Speak for yourself. I have my own mouth, eyes and ears. If it bans me because you are a paid PA vendor, so be it.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:37 PM   #9
jms62
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
You'll have to speak for yourself. I hold an honorable discharge fron the U.S. Army (1971-1973). I had a surgical consult the the VA Jamaica Plain hospital today. I was watching television in th Pharmacy waiting are with a couple of dozen other vets. The TV had a sports show on when a video of Kapernick appeared. Negative comments and groans with the calls of change the channel. Not one Vet said, 'awwww. c'mon guys, he's right'. I met a guy with two prostetic legs and patched up holes in his right arm. He wears a bandana on his head to cover his wounds. I've not shared this here, but I live in veterans housing. 15 in my building, 9 next door and nine next door to that. We talk sports often and to a man, nobody thinks much of Kapernick. We don't think he's getting a rotten deal, and an overwhelmingly majority of vets feel the same.

Speak for yourself. I have my own mouth, eyes and ears. If it bans me because you are a paid PA vendor, so be it.
Maybe I can't read but I think you and Dave are on the same side of this issue.
jms62 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2017, 05:38 PM   #10
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
No, you're good.
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2017, 05:57 PM   #11
jimmyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
After re reaeding, yes it did and I apologize to Dave. I get to the part where it says he has a right to protest, and after the day had, my blood starts boiling and I see red and thats it.

Again, I apologize. But for anyone else that believes Kapernick is in the right, I'd challenge you , as RR so eloquently stated, to spend some time at a VA hospital, visit a veterans cemetery. Volunteer at a veterans homeless shelter. You will see many of the dead, wounded and spirit that these men sacrificed. Some are broken physically, some mentally and will carry these scars for life.

Try serving as these men and women have, to protect your azzhole right to earn millions and have the audacity to complain about how tough things are.

Sweet Jesus, many Americans are incredibly fortunate but can see past their nose.

Last edited by jimmyb; 08-22-2017 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:33 PM   #12
jimmyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
I stand proudly for the anthem, but support the right of others to kneel, turn their backs, or downright disrespect our flag. In my opinion, that right proves how strong and noble our flag IS.

But from a business standpoint, if NFL owners feel they are being used for a platform, or the forum they provide exploited at real cost to their brand and financial interests, why no simply STOP PLAYING THE ANTHEM.

Not everything is about politics. And there would be nothing unpatriotic about shutting down the anthem before games. Owners are not required to provide players with any particular opportunity to protest.

And before you call such a potential move cowardly, I'll reiterate..not everything is about God and country..the NFL HAS EVERY RIGHT TO PROTECT ITS BRAND AND FINANCIAL INTERESTS.

And I would LOVE to see protesters demand with a straight face that the anthem be resumed-just so they can display contempt for it. How ridiculous would THAT be??????
Kapernick owes me and anyone else who served in the military this courtesy. And you owe us the same.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:27 PM   #13
Dave Schwartz

Quote:

Jimmy, you've not offended me. Everyone has a right to their opinion.

I thought I made it pretty clear that I was speaking for myself. Did I not?

But I must admit that I am confused. Are you saying that you are in favor of or alright with them not playing the anthem so that some people would not be offended?

Dave
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2017, 08:03 PM   #14
jimmyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
Jimmy, you've not offended me. Everyone has a right to their opinion.

I thought I made it pretty clear that I was speaking for myself. Did I not?

But I must admit that I am confused. Are you saying that you are in favor of or alright with them not playing the anthem so that some people would not be offended?

Dave
Like I said, after the day I had, spending most of it at the Jamaica Plain hospital, reading the big ego of the mountains post, and getting to this part of your post "I am sure that most veterans (myself included) would say that "protest" is a valid way to stand for a cause" I took this to mean you validated Kapernicks protest. I was corrected by Dan and JMS and apologize.

I never said it was okay not to play the anthem, that was from the mountain mouth, not me. Quite the contrary. We, us, you, anyone that served in the military is owed the courtesy of standing during it's playing. Protesting anything while it is behing played dishonors us.

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America, and to that puke Kapernick, for an amount of "up to and including THEIR LIVES, Our lives"

He owes us.

Last edited by jimmyb; 08-22-2017 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:39 PM   #15
mountainman

Lol.
Quote:
Kapernick owes me and anyone else who served in the military this courtesy. And you owe us the same.
If you continue to twist my words, you and I have a big problem..

What part of " I stand proudly for our anthem" is difficult to interpret. And I never said I agree with Kapernicks stance- just that he has the right to protest. In fact, plausible or not, I proposed a way to stop the protests. So knock it off. Personally, I think the guy is an insincere and ill-informed spokesman for his own cause. But, do you REALLY want to live in a country that would compel him to stand???? They do that in North Korea.

Last edited by mountainman; 08-22-2017 at 08:52 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: