Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 08-21-2017, 09:25 PM   #1
Actor
Librocubicularist

Eclipse

MARVELOUS!

Just marvelous.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:07 AM   #2
delayjf

For me it totally sucked. Local WX report said nothing about the storm moving into the Northern Kansas City area - in fact they were predicting that the overcast would clear in time to view the eclipse. Not only was it overcast the entire afternoon - we never saw any portion of the eclipse at all, only the brief darkness. 25 miles away, my wife saw the whole show. Had I known I would have gone over to where my wife works to see the eclipse. On top of that they predicted a 40% chance of rain which turned into 10 inches with massive flooding.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2017, 11:54 AM   #3
Marshall Bennett

I'd forgotten how uninteresting anything other than the total eclipse really is. Was 70% total here and other than a slight darkening, was next to nothing.
I'd love to witness a total eclipse, they say being there is breathtaking. Because of the sheer brightness of the sun however, anything much less than total is a boring waste of time. Anything short of 90% for sure.
The media once again piled on vigorously. I don't think they had a clue. All the hype over something that for most turned out to be nothing. Other than educating the public with a lesson in astronomy, I'm hard pressed to think of another event ever covered that was more overplayed.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2017, 08:26 PM   #4
tucker6

I was in Greenville sc leasing a car and we finished 15 minutes before a two minute solar eclipse. Everyone went outside and watched the show on a clear day. At 90%, the sun was dim for a sunny day, but it wasn't extraordinary. Then as we headed toward totality, the sky quickly darkened to twilight. Planets and stars came out overhead, but the horizon was still lit. Like it is near sunset. The view of the corona during totality was breathtaking, and an image I'll take to my grave. If you ever have the opportunity, don't waste it.

Last edited by tucker6; 08-22-2017 at 08:28 PM.
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2017, 08:27 PM   #5
Big Russ

Flew into Nashville last Thursday. Had a great day in town and then spent the night at the Opryland. Friday morning I was off the Ellis Park for my first time there. Got to go up to announcer's booth and watch Jimmy call the 7th race. Nice guy, had a great time. Went back Saturday morning for barn tour with John Hancock which was also great. Breakfast at track kitchen and then back to front side for handicapping seminar. Spent the rest of the day at the track and enjoyed it all...other than the heat. Spent all day Sunday at Holiday World. Road all the coasters and had a great day there, except it was still hot,and humid. Monday was eclipse day in Hopkinsville, KY at the community college. They did a great job. Not overcrowded, indoor facilities as needed with a/c, good lectures, and plenty of staff to answer questions. As for the eclipse itself, I was quite aware that anything less than about 90% coverage wouldn't make much difference, but when it got to that 90% coverage, I could really tell that the sun was not nearly as harsh, and the lighting was starting to dim. But it really didn't prepare me for the totality portion. That part was pretty amazing. It went pretty dark almost instantly. Not really nighttime dark, as I could still see light all around the horizon, but the stars and what I could see encircling the moon was really something. I really wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was. I'd do it again if I get the chance. Today was Mammoth Cave day. It was fun, but the eclipse was better. Tomorrow I'm off to Lake Barkley for a few days, then back to Nashville for the flight to Tampa on Saturday. Looks like the weather will finally cool down for my last few days....hooray!
Big Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2017, 11:00 PM   #6
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Rush Limbaugh was pre-empted for RADIO coverage of the eclipse.
Duh......

Not much to see here.
STorm the next day was much darker.
I saw the last eclipse years ago....no big deal then, either,
Watching Global Warming every day, how could this be so exciting?
Old 08-24-2017, 07:23 PM   #7
RunForTheRoses

Instead of taking a vacation at Saratoga or Vegas or some other gambling destination I went to Nashville to see the eclipse. Up until the week before I was probably going to go to Columbia SC but early weather reports seemed to favor Nashville. I also love music and had always wanted to visit Nashville.I had thought about going to Hopkinsville but after driving all day Sunday (oy) figured I'd stay in town.

I hate to admit it was cloudy and less than perfect. I watched from a big bridge closed to cars not far from Broadway (those who know Nashville please fill in details). Clouds rolled in right when the show was getting good. There were boos from the crowd.

All in all though the trip was great anyway. I had never been to Nashville and it was fantastic. Went to Johnny Cash Museum. Nudie's Honky Tonk, Nelson's Distillery, and Big Al's Deli among other things. Wish I had more time.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2017, 07:37 PM   #8
RunForTheRoses

It wasn't a total bust, birds started acting weird and building lights went on.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.JPG (110.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 3.JPG (105.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Eclipse1.JPG (108.4 KB, 3 views)
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2017, 08:44 PM   #9
Inner Dirt

We were supposed to get 85% coverage, moot point as it was heavily overcast the whole time. The sun was never visible.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply