Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 06-18-2017, 03:52 PM   #991
MutuelClerk

A lot of your exposed list don't you think the teams have worked out a deal with Vegas? Ok, time to watch the Open. Friend of mine was in Vegas last week. I have Kim at 75-1.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2017, 04:46 PM   #992
HoofedInTheChest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutuelClerk View Post
A lot of your exposed list don't you think the teams have worked out a deal with Vegas?
Absolutely, it would be dumb not to have something worked out in advance.

George McPhee stated that he plans to build the team through the Entry Draft, and not through the Expansion Draft. If that’s the case, then it tells me that Vegas are about to get swamped with draft picks.

These mock drafts are a complete waste of time, many of the exposed players won’t even be in play when it comes time for drafting. Most teams have pre-existing deals worked out beforehand, as well as trades after the fact. This is one way the Leafs can land a defenseman, ask Vegas to draft so and so in the Expansion Draft, and then Vegas trades that player to us for more picks or prospects.

What is your Over/Under on Vegas ending up with 15 draft picks for this year’s Entry Draft?

I’m going with Over.
HoofedInTheChest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2017, 05:26 PM   #993
HoofedInTheChest

The NHL salary cap has been set at $75 million for next season, an increase of $2 million from last season.

The NHL Players' Association elected to use their escalator clause to raise it.

For budget teams, the floor increased just $1.4 million from $54 million. Vegas must meet the $55.4 million cap floor before the start of the season.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:55 PM   #994
MutuelClerk

15 is a good line. Vegas could be pretty decent very quickly.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:38 PM   #995
MutuelClerk

Ken Holland has lost his mind. Keeping terrible contracts ( DeKeyser, Abdelkader). Howard over Mrazek? Holland was lucky to follow a hockey icon like Devallano. The youngest GM in the league impresses me more and more. Phoenix trading Mike Smith is smart. I can see them trading for Mrazek, while still receiving a decent prospect and pick in the Mike Smith compensation.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:42 PM   #996
HoofedInTheChest

Quote:
Phoenix trading Mike Smith is smart. I can see them trading for Mrazek, while still receiving a decent prospect and pick in the Mike Smith compensation.
But it came at a price.

Arizona had to retain 25% of Mike Smith’ salary, which equates to $1.4 million over two years. So they just shelled out $1.4 million for a prospect and a conditional pick, which could turn out to be nothing in reality. Were they just trying to shed salary, or was he dead weight?

I understand why Arizona wanted Johnson, they needed a goalie to expose in the draft, but Johnson is a UFA, and Arizona will probably let him walk. There are rumblings that Calgary will re-sign Johnson on July 1st.

Chad Johnson is the same donkey that refused a trade to the Leafs last summer.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:39 PM   #997
MutuelClerk

Arizona retained the Datsuyk contract too and along the way stole a pretty good defenseman in the first round last year. They have lots of good young talent. I see them as a team on the rise. Granted they almost have to rise they've been bad for quite awhile.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:02 PM   #998
HoofedInTheChest

Quote:
They have lots of good young talent.
Dylan Strome?

I thank the hockey gods every day for that one.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:16 PM   #999
MutuelClerk

Agree on Strome. I was hoping Strome fell to us. Like you said glad he didn't. But I really like Clayton Keller ( Team USA). Like our Leafs I think most of their young talent is upfront. That's why stealing Chychrun from the Wings last year in the draft was so smart. That kid had a pretty good season.

Enough on Arizona. Lets get this week going. Chaos is right. Trades, picks, all of it. Bring it on. GO LEAFS GO!!!!!!
Old 06-19-2017, 02:17 PM   #1000
HoofedInTheChest

George McPhee has given his fellow general managers a midnight deadline to make deals to keep players not on their protected list.

"What we've told everyone today is that today will be the last day that we are going to have (trade) discussions," McPhee said. "We are going to pick our team tomorrow."

Pierre LeBrun reported Sunday that the Florida Panthers, Ottawa Senators, Nashville Predators and Minnesota Wild were all trying to make deals with Vegas but had not yet reached a deal.

The New York Islanders, Anaheim Ducks, Columbus Blue Jackets and Chicago Blackhawks are all reported to already have deals in place with the Golden Knights.

The Golden Knights must have their team selected by Wednesday at 10am et.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:03 PM   #1001
MutuelClerk

Maybe the Leafs get Marc Methot who the Sens left unprotected thanks to Dion Phaneuf. I was all for the Leafs standing pat and building slowly but surely. Now I'm not so sure. They have a two year window before the entry level deals of these talented rookies expires. Maybe the time to strike is now with all this turnover going on in the league. The Leafs also have cap room, not a lot of teams do. It's going to be a very interesting summer.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:20 PM   #1002
HoofedInTheChest

I agree, if the Sens lose a D-man you can expect the fanbase to have a serious hate-on for Dion, he didn’t exactly think that one through.

I’m all for spending the cap space that we have now, except if it’s Shattenkirk, he played like garbage in the playoffs and Washington wasted a first round pick on that stiff.

There’s a slim chance that we can send Lupul to Vegas, and that will create $5.5 mill in cap space, keep your fingers crossed.

From here on out, it’s Cup or bust.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:08 AM   #1003
ldiatone

and now in Lancaster, CA.
ldiatone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2017, 03:16 PM   #1004
HoofedInTheChest

McPhee believes Golden Knights will be 'a really good team'

With the expansion draft looming, Golden Knights GM George McPhee explains the process he went through with each club when it came to selecting players. McPhee was surprised at the amount of scoring that was available on the wings, and hinted that the team may go heavy on defensemen in hopes of making deals with other clubs.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:41 PM   #1005
HoofedInTheChest

Golden Knights, Leafs in trade talks as deadline nears...

http://www.tsn.ca/golden-knights-lea...nears-1.784337

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: