Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:08 AM   #1
HalvOnHorseracing

Lasix:Fact and Myth

I apparently wasn't pummeled enough over Kellyn Gorder. I'm back at it again with a piece on Lasix at halveyonhorseracing.com
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2015, 05:13 AM   #2
Seabiscuit@AR

You cannot compare number of starts per year for USA vs say England and take the answer at face value. English flat racing on the turf effectively closes down for a good portion of the year while they have their jumps season. American racing on dirt can still go on through the winter

Sure they have All Weather tracks in the UK during the winter but not everyone wants to race on those so it is true that many English turf horses are put away several months each year

Last edited by Seabiscuit@AR; 05-19-2015 at 05:15 AM.
Seabiscuit@AR is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2015, 06:06 AM   #3
biggestal99

I like the new kentucky law, card races for raceday lasix users, card races for non raceday lasix horses.

That will level the playing field.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2015, 09:04 AM   #4
minethatbird08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabiscuit@AR
You cannot compare number of starts per year for USA vs say England and take the answer at face value. English flat racing on the turf effectively closes down for a good portion of the year while they have their jumps season. American racing on dirt can still go on through the winter

Sure they have All Weather tracks in the UK during the winter but not everyone wants to race on those so it is true that many English turf horses are put away several months each year
That is a fair point. However, Australia has year around racing correct? If so you would expect significantly more starts maybe? Just thinking out loud here.
minethatbird08 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2015, 10:14 AM   #5
magwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99
I like the new kentucky law, card races for raceday lasix users, card races for non raceday lasix horses.

Allan
Yep that will help the handle on those races................
Old 05-19-2015, 06:38 PM   #6
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99

Allan
What does the bold part mean?
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2015, 07:16 PM   #7
Some_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodoyoulike
What does the bold part mean?
They would have races where horses would not be able to run on lasix.
Some_One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2015, 07:58 PM   #8
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_One
They would have races where horses would not be able to run on lasix.
Thank you for clearing it up for me.

Some one (not you) in another thread mentioned that horses weren't allowed to go on and then off lasix at the trainers discretion. The horse would have to be examined by the track vet before being allowed to re-use lasix.

Is this a good thing for the horse's well being?

Today, I don't see very many horses racing without lasix even a lot of FTS are being treated for lasix. Years ago, I remember some jurisdictions didn't allow certain drugs for races but, I don't know of any tracks currently with these restrictions.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:05 AM   #9
Ruffian1

Quote:
Thank you for clearing it up for me.

Some one (not you) in another thread mentioned that horses weren't allowed to go on and then off lasix at the trainers discretion. The horse would have to be examined by the track vet before being allowed to re-use lasix.

Is this a good thing for the horse's well being?

Today, I don't see very many horses racing without lasix even a lot of FTS are being treated for lasix. Years ago, I remember some jurisdictions didn't allow certain drugs for races but, I don't know of any tracks currently with these restrictions.

That was me, and unless the rules have changed recently, the horse would need to bleed again and be scoped and the bleeding documented with the state. The horse would also be considered a 2nd time bleeder and sit out the appropriate time line for that jurisdiction. The horse would have 2 strikes against them with bleeding so a third bleeding that the state vet might witness would make it 3 strikes. Not sure about today's time off on that but back in my day, it was a one year ban.
Hope that helps.
Ruffian1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2015, 08:21 AM   #10
Seabiscuit@AR

minethatbird08

HalvOnHorseracing says that in Australia they are training horses on lasix (which is correct). So not sure if Australia is supposed to be a lasix country or a non lasix country????

One thing I do know is that in Australia the average backup time between runs is still close to 14 days and has been that way for the last 20 years. So horses once up and running will run once every 2 weeks on average in Australia. In America that gap in days between races has blown out over the years since lasix came into use
Seabiscuit@AR is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2015, 11:03 AM   #11
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing
I apparently wasn't pummeled enough over Kellyn Gorder. I'm back at it again with a piece on Lasix at halveyonhorseracing.com
I'll be very curious to read. I think it depends on what your sources are. I personally think the truth is undeniable, Lasix enhances performance for all. It does help horses with EIPH, but it does not eliminate it. And, most importantly, it makes it harder for most horses to recover.

I personally don't need to hear much from "experts" on either side of the debate. I have all the evidence I need in the past performances and 30 years of handicapping which spans the pre-Lasix, some-Lasix and nearly all-Lasix eras.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2015, 11:12 AM   #12
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I'll be very curious to read. I think it depends on what your sources are. I personally think the truth is undeniable, Lasix enhances performance for all. It does help horses with EIPH, but it does not eliminate it. And, most importantly, it makes it harder for most horses to recover.

I personally don't need to hear much from "experts" on either side of the debate. I have all the evidence I need in the past performances and 30 years of handicapping which spans the pre-Lasix, some-Lasix and nearly all-Lasix eras.
well said
Old 05-20-2015, 05:46 PM   #13
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffian1
That was me, and unless the rules have changed recently, ...

Hope that helps.
Just to let you know I try to pay attention what others post. I'm an outsider (just a bettor) so I appreciate any insights which helps me understand this game a little better.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:42 PM   #14
Ruffian1

Quote:
Just to let you know I try to pay attention what others post. I'm an outsider (just a bettor) so I appreciate any insights which helps me understand this game a little better.
Hey, anytime. I am a former trainer that maybe goes to the track and reads the form once a year on a major day.
Ruffian1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2015, 06:47 PM   #15
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
lots of great info posted here by trainers.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...d.php?t=104608
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply