Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Poll: Is HANA Useful
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Is HANA Useful

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:21 PM   #1
flatstats

H.A.N.A.

I am interested in if HANA http://www.horseplayersassociation.org/ is an essential requirement for racing fans / handicappers.
flatstats is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2015, 07:30 PM   #2
flatstats

As a follow up I am particularly interested in:

1. Are handicappers better off with HANA or do they make no difference?
2. Is the racing industry (tracks, bookmakers, racing rulers) attentive of HANA and do they listen (but may not respond as required) to HANA?
3. Would you support HANA financially?
4. How could HANA be improved?
flatstats is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2015, 11:33 PM   #3
Some_One

1. No Difference
2. Aware, but for the most part, don't listen as they don't need to listen to them
3. No
4. Not possible
Some_One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2015, 03:24 AM   #4
Stillriledup
Veteran

I'm a fan of HANA, Jeff and Dean and those guys are great friends to the game and are always looking out for the player. Unfortunately, i don't know if the industry itself has embraced them, this is a 'horsemens game' and owners view HANA and player advocates like Andy Asaro as the 'enemy' so its hard to get much traction. Track execs think they know it all, so they probably snicker (and then toss it in the trash) when a HANA suggestion comes their way.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2015, 09:34 AM   #5
DJofSD
Screw PC

Yep, it's a horseman's game and they believe in the mushroom theory. HANA provides some illumination.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:43 AM   #6
Robert Fischer
clean money

I voted 'Very'. I believe they do a great job.
I am not crazy about voting in polls that reveal the voter's name and selection to the public.
However, I feel that 'Very' was my honest answer in the context of this thread.

I feel there is room for improvement and room to grow, but I am Very happy with what they do for the most part.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:39 PM   #7
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatstats
As a follow up I am particularly interested in:

2. Is the racing industry (tracks, bookmakers, racing rulers) attentive of HANA and do they listen (but may not respond as required) to HANA?
I voted "Very", and as one of the 5 or 6 original proponents and organizers, I think they have given the handicapper a national voice that we didn't have before.

1. Yes, HANA is the one place where the serious handicapper can go to get information one needs in order to make informed decisions regarding which tracks to support and which ones under-perform, in an industry that by and large disregards their customers wants and needs.

2. Some tracks take HANA seriously, and have improved their facilities and its operations, making them more customer focused.

3. Absolutely!

4. I have lobbied for a long time to have each track's average win payouts displayed in the HANA spreadsheet. I believe that this single piece of data could allow any handicapper a better chance of becoming profitable, simply by choosing to play those tacks with higher average win payouts. So far this data is not available by HANA, but I still hold hope that someday it will be!!

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2015, 04:26 PM   #8
Ray2000
Apple 2GS Wiz

Total handle at Churchill last year went down 11.5%

Churchill says that due to fewer races (94%, 372 vs 396) than the year before.

I don't buy it.

HANA's boycott had an effect so I voted "very"

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...cted-churchill
Bret Harte
Ray2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2015, 04:27 PM   #9
Dave Schwartz

To date, no difference. But certainly not for lack of trying. The industry is just too resistant to change at this point in time.

No on all counts. They may invite people to meetings as a courtesy but there is no impact.

Beyond a small, Wikipedia-type-per-year donation? No.

Get the membership to 50,000, take a stance (i.e. boycott) and knock down the handle for a week by (say) $50m.

Anything short of that is simply ignored by the industry. Alternatively, HANA could pick one track at a time and knock their handle down by say $3 million for a weekend.

If you cannot influence the handle substantially - which is akin to holding a gun to the head of track management - then there is no power. These people will simply not change because the slimeballs known as customers want things changed.

How many members does HANA have now?

Last edited by Dave Schwartz; 04-20-2015 at 04:29 PM.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2015, 07:03 PM   #10
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz
To date, no difference. But certainly not for lack of trying. The industry is just too resistant to change at this point in time.

No on all counts. They may invite people to meetings as a courtesy but there is no impact.

Beyond a small, Wikipedia-type-per-year donation? No.

Get the membership to 50,000, take a stance (i.e. boycott) and knock down the handle for a week by (say) $50m.

Anything short of that is simply ignored by the industry. Alternatively, HANA could pick one track at a time and knock their handle down by say $3 million for a weekend.

If you cannot influence the handle substantially - which is akin to holding a gun to the head of track management - then there is no power. These people will simply not change because the slimeballs known as customers want things changed.

How many members does HANA have now?
If HANA can get as big as PETA (and as ruthless), they can do some damage.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:25 PM   #11
Augenj
Top Horse Analytics

Quote:
How about being selective and pick a major track that has a high takeout and is financially weak (not CD of course) and pound on them in a boycott frenzy everywhere... here, racing media, Facebook, Twitter, blogs, etc. Boycott until they drop their takeout and breakage. Not likely to work but "You never know." from Let It Ride.
Augenj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2015, 07:36 PM   #12
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augenj
How about being selective and pick a major track that has a high takeout and is financially weak (not CD of course) and pound on them in a boycott frenzy everywhere... here, racing media, Facebook, Twitter, blogs, etc. Boycott until they drop their takeout and breakage. Not likely to work but "You never know." from Let It Ride.
I like it. Single out someone and pound them mercilessly. Organize protests in front of the track, send "moles" inside the stable area to "find" violations, etc. #Be relentless.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:53 PM   #13
Augenj
Top Horse Analytics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
I like it. Single out someone and pound them mercilessly. Organize protests in front of the track, send "moles" inside the stable area to "find" violations, etc. #Be relentless.
Yes, add all that to the list also. The odd thing about all of this is if they reduced the takeout, they MIGHT just generate more profit from the increased handle. Shall we shoot for 10 per cent for all bets?
Augenj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2015, 08:04 PM   #14
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
That is a plan. Doubt that "we" have the clout to pull it off.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2015, 08:23 PM   #15
horses4courses

Quote:

I didn't vote in this poll.
I like HANA, and what they stand for, but wish they could accomplish more.

DS hits the nail on the head here for me.
Increasing membership would give them so much more clout.
Then, and only then, could they make a real difference.

I appreciate their efforts in identifying tracks that have
unreasonably high takeout rates.
Beyond that, there really isn't much else they can do.
As things stand right now, at least.

In an ideal world, US horse racing would have a central governing body.
HANA should be included within any such group.
Yet, if such a group were formed this week,
I doubt that HANA would be invited to the table.
chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply