Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion


Poll: Who wins HOY? Accelerate or Justify?
This poll will close on 01-17-2019 at 06:52 PM
Poll Options
Who wins HOY? Accelerate or Justify?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-07-2018, 09:38 PM   #91
GMB@BP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Dark Side of the Moon
Posts: 3,164
Rep Power: 21 GMB@BP is a jewel in the roughGMB@BP is a jewel in the roughGMB@BP is a jewel in the rough
This horse of the year debate is kind of silly.

in 20 years when someone me mentions Accelerate people will say, yea I remember him a bit, good horse.

In 20 years when they say Justify everyone will know who he is and what he did.

This is a trophy and in some regards a political vote, history will dictate who the most accomplished horse was in the year 2018 in regards what they did on the track.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2018, 09:44 AM   #92
Andy Asaro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,715
Rep Power: 8 Andy Asaro is a glorious beacon of lightAndy Asaro is a glorious beacon of lightAndy Asaro is a glorious beacon of lightAndy Asaro is a glorious beacon of lightAndy Asaro is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
This horse of the year debate is kind of silly.

in 20 years when someone me mentions Accelerate people will say, yea I remember him a bit, good horse.

In 20 years when they say Justify everyone will know who he is and what he did.

This is a trophy and in some regards a political vote, history will dictate who the most accomplished horse was in the year 2018 in regards what they did on the track.
I mostly agree. My motivation is Baffert. I do believe Accelerate deserves it but I really hate to see Baffert rewarded for anything.
Andy Asaro is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2018, 03:30 PM   #93
dilanesp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,689
Rep Power: 14 dilanesp is a jewel in the roughdilanesp is a jewel in the roughdilanesp is a jewel in the roughdilanesp is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
I mostly agree. My motivation is Baffert. I do believe Accelerate deserves it but I really hate to see Baffert rewarded for anything.
I don't hate Baffert. I hate the owners for retiring a horse after six races.

Baffert did an amazing job with Justify.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2018, 04:52 PM   #94
Andy Asaro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,715
Rep Power: 8 Andy Asaro is a glorious beacon of lightAndy Asaro is a glorious beacon of lightAndy Asaro is a glorious beacon of lightAndy Asaro is a glorious beacon of lightAndy Asaro is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I don't hate Baffert. I hate the owners for retiring a horse after six races.

Baffert did an amazing job with Justify.
He was retired cuz he couldn't run anymore. Otherwise he'd have run in the Breeders' Cup for sure and possibly Pegasus. He was burned out physically IMO
Andy Asaro is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2018, 06:17 PM   #95
dilanesp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,689
Rep Power: 14 dilanesp is a jewel in the roughdilanesp is a jewel in the roughdilanesp is a jewel in the roughdilanesp is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
He was retired cuz he couldn't run anymore. Otherwise he'd have run in the Breeders' Cup for sure and possibly Pegasus. He was burned out physically IMO
No, I think Justify could have been the soundest horse in history after the Belmont and they were going to find an excuse to retire him.

And I am highly skeptical that 6 races burned him out.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2018, 06:20 PM   #96
Andy Asaro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,715
Rep Power: 8 Andy Asaro is a glorious beacon of lightAndy Asaro is a glorious beacon of lightAndy Asaro is a glorious beacon of lightAndy Asaro is a glorious beacon of lightAndy Asaro is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
No, I think Justify could have been the soundest horse in history after the Belmont and they were going to find an excuse to retire him.

And I am highly skeptical that 6 races burned him out.
6 races in that short of a period of time would certainly burn a new 3yo out. They rushed him into the Derby and Triple Crown for the $$$$ and they got it.
Andy Asaro is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2018, 06:24 PM   #97
GMB@BP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Dark Side of the Moon
Posts: 3,164
Rep Power: 21 GMB@BP is a jewel in the roughGMB@BP is a jewel in the roughGMB@BP is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
6 races in that short of a period of time would certainly burn a new 3yo out. They rushed him into the Derby and Triple Crown for the $$$$ and they got it.
I would be fine with that if I owned him.

I would rather win the triple crown than the BC and some important races at SA and Del Mar.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2018, 06:29 PM   #98
Andy Asaro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,715
Rep Power: 8 Andy Asaro is a glorious beacon of lightAndy Asaro is a glorious beacon of lightAndy Asaro is a glorious beacon of lightAndy Asaro is a glorious beacon of lightAndy Asaro is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
I would be fine with that if I owned him.

I would rather win the triple crown than the BC and some important races at SA and Del Mar.
Right. They didn't care about his career as a racehorse which is their right.
Andy Asaro is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2018, 10:00 PM   #99
Andy Asaro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,715
Rep Power: 8 Andy Asaro is a glorious beacon of lightAndy Asaro is a glorious beacon of lightAndy Asaro is a glorious beacon of lightAndy Asaro is a glorious beacon of lightAndy Asaro is a glorious beacon of light
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...19#post2393919
Andy Asaro is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-12-2018, 05:35 PM   #100
papillon
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 264
Rep Power: 9 papillon will become famous soon enoughpapillon will become famous soon enough
Horseracing Nation has a list of it's writers (?) choices.

The break down was almost evenly male/female Accelerate/Justify. The women even used exclamation points. The lone male was about 18yrs old.

I showed it to a friend of mine, who is female her for take. She sighed and said, "That's the real reason we [women] always are taking one step forward, two steps back. Grown women basically saying 'because pretty pony'."

Someone over there also posted some sports (?) writers lists of best TC winners ranked.

One had Justify 4th, above Affirmed. AP was 8th.

The other, had Justify tied with Slew at 5th, ahead of War Admiral, Citation, and Whirlaway. He had AP above Slew.

I find this more than assinine, I find it offensive. Those who argue this horse, who never ran fast on any track by any clock and who's best left over competition is being hailed as world beater for winning a listed stakes over nothing, deserves to be HOTY because of an obsession with the TC, will cement this crap.

Fager never won it, and he's greater than all of them.

Magnum Moon entered the Derby on 4 wins, and he too never raced at 2. He did that in 4 months as well. Clearly he had a full and historic career, ended too soon by some unknown injury.

Yet Nyquist, meh. Blah. Nothing of a career. FWIW, Nyquist had to have colic surgey in early December 2015, they discovered he had a severe blockage of his intestine from blunt force trauma that must have happened months before. He would have suffered from malabsorption, which would have depleted his glycogen stores, making it impossible for him to sustain any physical exertion. O'Neil had to close Nyquist's twitter because people wouldn't stop saying he looked small and thin. Before the Preakness, Ron Ellis picked against him because he didn't look healthy. Oh, what might have been. Oh wait, he raced as a 2 year old and only won 8 in a row and the BCJ and Derby, what was I thinking.

Last edited by papillon; 11-12-2018 at 05:38 PM. Reason: typo
papillon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-12-2018, 08:01 PM   #101
Spalding No!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,022
Rep Power: 13 Spalding No! has a spectacular aura aboutSpalding No! has a spectacular aura aboutSpalding No! has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by papillon View Post
Yet Nyquist, meh. Blah. Nothing of a career. FWIW, Nyquist had to have colic surgey in early December 2015, they discovered he had a severe blockage of his intestine from blunt force trauma that must have happened months before. He would have suffered from malabsorption, which would have depleted his glycogen stores, making it impossible for him to sustain any physical exertion. O'Neil had to close Nyquist's twitter because people wouldn't stop saying he looked small and thin. Before the Preakness, Ron Ellis picked against him because he didn't look healthy. Oh, what might have been. Oh wait, he raced as a 2 year old and only won 8 in a row and the BCJ and Derby, what was I thinking.
Nyquist had colic surgery after he was retired, not before the Triple Crown. It was December 2016, not 2015.

Nyquist was retired because he had a leg injury (note he's on the California Vet List that was posted on another thread), not because of any gastrointestinal insult.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-12-2018, 08:53 PM   #102
GMB@BP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Dark Side of the Moon
Posts: 3,164
Rep Power: 21 GMB@BP is a jewel in the roughGMB@BP is a jewel in the roughGMB@BP is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
Nyquist had colic surgery after he was retired, not before the Triple Crown. It was December 2016, not 2015.

Nyquist was retired because he had a leg injury (note he's on the California Vet List that was posted on another thread), not because of any gastrointestinal insult.
stop posting fake news here man
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-13-2018, 04:06 PM   #103
dilanesp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,689
Rep Power: 14 dilanesp is a jewel in the roughdilanesp is a jewel in the roughdilanesp is a jewel in the roughdilanesp is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by papillon View Post
Someone over there also posted some sports (?) writers lists of best TC winners ranked.

One had Justify 4th, above Affirmed. AP was 8th.

The other, had Justify tied with Slew at 5th, ahead of War Admiral, Citation, and Whirlaway. He had AP above Slew.
This shouldn't surprise you. Horse racing's decline means that there aren't a lot of people who know even the basic history. The only horses from bygone eras who a lot of people can probably name are Man O'War and Seabiscuit, and neither one won the TC. (Of course, there's a lesson there for people who say that Justify will be "immortal" because he won the thing and did literally nothing else.)

To know how good Citation was, you have to know something about racing. You have to know how good some of the horses he beat (like Armed and Miss Grillo) were. You have to know how much faster the times he ran in 1950 were (including the ones when he was running second to Noor) compared to anything that had come before.

Few people know that anymore.

So they say "sure Justify's better than Citation. Justify's undefeated, right?".
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-13-2018, 10:58 PM   #104
GMB@BP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Dark Side of the Moon
Posts: 3,164
Rep Power: 21 GMB@BP is a jewel in the roughGMB@BP is a jewel in the roughGMB@BP is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
This shouldn't surprise you. Horse racing's decline means that there aren't a lot of people who know even the basic history. The only horses from bygone eras who a lot of people can probably name are Man O'War and Seabiscuit, and neither one won the TC. (Of course, there's a lesson there for people who say that Justify will be "immortal" because he won the thing and did literally nothing else.)

To know how good Citation was, you have to know something about racing. You have to know how good some of the horses he beat (like Armed and Miss Grillo) were. You have to know how much faster the times he ran in 1950 were (including the ones when he was running second to Noor) compared to anything that had come before.

Few people know that anymore.

So they say "sure Justify's better than Citation. Justify's undefeated, right?".
We have gone from saying Justify will be more remembered than Accelerate to bringing in Man O War, Seabiscuit and Citation. Talk about a straw man argument, your comparing immortal horse racing legends that no one contends Justify will be higher thought of than.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2018, 01:57 AM   #105
dilanesp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,689
Rep Power: 14 dilanesp is a jewel in the roughdilanesp is a jewel in the roughdilanesp is a jewel in the roughdilanesp is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
We have gone from saying Justify will be more remembered than Accelerate to bringing in Man O War, Seabiscuit and Citation. Talk about a straw man argument, your comparing immortal horse racing legends that no one contends Justify will be higher thought of than.
Except a poll says he is.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Reply




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Reason for drop off...
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1999 - 2018 -- PaceAdvantage.Com -- All Rights Reserved -- Best Viewed in a modern browser @ 1280x720 Resolution Or Higher
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program
designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.