Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion > Interviews

Old 04-11-2011, 07:45 PM   #16
rangiles

Is your "qualified competitive speed" any different than a minimum speed par? If so, how?

The Competitive Speed Figure Range is based on how fast horse have run in their last three races. I don’t use speed pars. The CSFR tells me only if “today’s” horses are fast enough to compete with each other.
rangiles is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2011, 07:50 PM   #17
rangiles

Question: How many characters (profitable situations) should I expect on average handicapping 1-2 tracks per day?

On average I get only 1 play per day per card. That’s not a lot so simulcasting is very important when we’re talking about extreme pace aberrations. Now with Pace Boxes the number of plays improves, which is more like 3 plays per day.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:03 PM   #18
rangiles

Question: Do you suggest any shortcuts to doodling 1-2 cards?
Yes. Let’s say a pace picture looks like this:

E/P7
E/P5
E/p6
E/P3
--------P3
--------P3
--------------P/C
--------------P/C

There’s no extreme pace aberration or a pace box situation in this picture - If one of the early pace types has a very good PCZ (3.0 to 4.0) then I might be interested if the odds are very good, say, 4/1 or better. I really try to stay with horses that will be racing in a comfortable pace environment, but there are some good plays in these situations if an early pace type has a strong PCZ. As the early picture builds then the more talent those early pace horses have to have. In my experience the PCZ gives me that information. The pace picture, if used properly, is to assess odds.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:08 PM   #19
rangiles

Question: Do you automatically choose or ignore any particular races?

Since I’m a simulcast win player I typically pass mush races…those races that don’t have an aberration or a pace box.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:15 PM   #20
rangiles

2. Record keeping? What do you do after the day's races have run?

I’m a fanatic when it comes to bookkeeping. I label every play I make and it’s recorded along with date, track, race number, class, and pace profile, etc. I also keep a hard copy of all races I bet. I know at given time how good I’m doing at any class, distance, surface, track, pace profile, etc. I just have know or I feel like I’m playing blind.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:31 PM   #21
Capper Al

We should have used a chat room. Randy, would you take a look at the Question thread and post some answers later as you have time? Everyone thanks for trying this. Thanks Randy. Sorry about how it turned out.

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Capper Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2011, 08:35 PM   #22
rangiles

3. What is the LE/listed horse? How do you find him and why is he important?

An LE listed a front runner that does not qualify for the competitive speed figure range. In the PaceAppraiser PPs it will not be in bold type. Only CSFR qualifiers are in bold type. The LE/Listed will have a CSFR in its past history, say, 10 races back. The idea is this: The horse is in the right place at the right time but has terrible recent form. So the horse has the right running style for today’s race, just needs to get free early, which today’s pace picture should provide. The crowd generally overlooks these types because of terrible recent form. These have generated some of my best payoffs, but patience is required.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:49 PM   #23
CincyHorseplayer

1)Pace Pressure Gauge

Since Quirin came up with his early pace numbers and statistics a lot of handicappers and
authors have used the concept of probable pace,but have not tried
to quantify it as to actual results like you have with the PPG,that I know of.How did that evolve and how
long did it take for you to come up with parameters that were near exact
measures of what to expect?

2)Pace Multipliers

I think the multipliers serve a quicker utility function for pace analysis as
opposed to having 2 isolated figures(speed/pace) standing alone as things in
themselves.Do you think that the strength of the multipliers is more that it
emphasizes the relationship of final time to pace of the race and it's effect on
running styles, than isolating both parts of the equation?
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2011, 12:22 AM   #24
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapperAl
Randy, I'm going to double up on the questions because it takes forever to get a reply through the system. Although I'm sending you multiple questions, please answer them one question to a post. This way we won't be waiting so long because of the network.
For the next interview, we'll use the chat room. It is much more conducive to an interview.

There was nothing wrong with "the network" or the speed of the message board during the interview. It's an inefficient way to conduct an interview because you have to keep refreshing the thread to see when the question has been asked/answered. But as soon as you hit that "submit reply" button, the reply is instantaneously added to the thread, just as it always has been.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2011, 12:23 AM   #25
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Much thanks goes out to Capper Al and Randy Giles for taking the time to answer these questions tonight!
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2011, 06:55 AM   #26
Capper Al

Unanswered questions

Randy will be answering unanswered questions that we didn't have time to get to in the Questions thread. Thanks again for participating in last night's interview. We had the right idea but the wrong technology. Next time, we'll use a chat room.

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Old 04-12-2011, 07:12 AM   #27
Partsnut
BetMix User

Hi Al,

The interview was very much appreciated and I have to commend
the administration for allowing it. To me it was quite a surprising reversal of prior policies.

The chat room is a good way to go but you also have the option to video conference on "Skype" which would be a lot more responsive and personal for those that wish to participate.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:45 AM   #28
mikeb

Partsnut,

Where can i view Randy's replys?
Thanks
Mike.
mikeb is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #29
Capper Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb
Partsnut,

Where can i view Randy's reply?
Thanks
Mike.
I know you asked Partsnut but I'll jump in. Randy should reply in the Questions thread at the link below:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=81922

Anatole France

Old 04-12-2011, 11:05 AM   #30
Jay Trotter
CHEESEY

Thanks Randy and CapperAl -- much appreciated!

It's initiatives like this that continue to make PaceAdvantage the number one site for handicappers on the web.

Thanks to Mike for promoting this.

Jim Schoenfeld
Jay Trotter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: