Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Advance Deposit Wagering (ADW)

Old 07-13-2018, 05:47 PM   #61
Hapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicemaster View Post
It's nice to hear some positive words!

thaskalos, that is part of the story....those are daily points (on non-CDI tracks, CDI tracks pay 4x that), then there are promotions. The real value of the VIP program comes with the monthly bonus. If you averaged a bit more than your $3k example for the month, one earns 18x that, in addition to promotions.

Finally, if one lives in a high value state (meaning the profit margin is there) and wagers at a VIP level, we may be able to provide even more incentives. If you are interested, feel free to contact me.
Want to say off the bat I really like TS and it's all I use. Great interface and reliable, easy to use.

I still don't quite think the rewards are what they could be. Putting aside the points, for example, the amount you have to bet just to get to "Bronze" and get the CDI benefits of admission and parking just seems kind of absurd to me.

It would be great if you guys offered something for people below that level, it doesn't have to be anything amazing but for example I am at Arlington many times over the course of the meet and it would be great if you had something like an occasional GA ticket free or even food/drink rewards or something like that. Right now unless you are doing pretty high volume all you have is the points which aren't much of a cash back to be honest with you.
Hapman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2018, 07:50 PM   #62
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Someone suggested we look at the underlying html code and see how 'complicated' it is in order to excuse batch betting being 'out of service' for an extended period.

Only problem with that , it has zero to do with the issue.

I'll make it simple.

I send a batch bet that tells them , in simple ascii, to bet $100 to win on the 5.

This completely bypasses any web based coding.

All they have to do is convert it to the same coding that they would use if I went to the web page and clicked 100 win , #5.

Rinse repeat , for 1000 trifecta combinations or exactas.

Since their normal betting platform is in full operation, and parsing the upload is trivial, then I can find no reason for batch being down other than sloth.

There's a 50 cent word for ya.

Last edited by AltonKelsey; 07-13-2018 at 07:52 PM.
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2018, 11:49 AM   #63
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonKelsey View Post
Someone suggested we look at the underlying html code and see how 'complicated' it is in order to excuse batch betting being 'out of service' for an extended period.

Only problem with that , it has zero to do with the issue.

I'll make it simple.

I send a batch bet that tells them , in simple ascii, to bet $100 to win on the 5.

This completely bypasses any web based coding.

All they have to do is convert it to the same coding that they would use if I went to the web page and clicked 100 win , #5.

Rinse repeat , for 1000 trifecta combinations or exactas.

Since their normal betting platform is in full operation, and parsing the upload is trivial, then I can find no reason for batch being down other than sloth.

There's a 50 cent word for ya.
There's a legitimate gripe for TS failing to test basic functionality across the common platforms. But what you perceive to be a simple click or two, is often many lines of code and interpretative functions underneath the covers. Even "simple" ASCII commands are at the mercy of whatever Google, Microsoft, Mozilla and others are up to when it comes to updates, as well as whatever add-ons you use and how they are configured. Since a web interface is used to upload batch wagers, they are always using web based coding on the front end of the transaction.

On the back end, that simple ASCII file of course has to be parsed, translated to a SQL insert, confirmed with the transaction ID# with the tote, and linked to your account - and probably a few other things I'm not thinking of off the top of my head. That functionality needs to be integrated with numerous tools and levels of code, (O/S patches, DB APIs, user ids, permissions and security, network connectivity and ports, etc.). There are many places where the functionality can break.

Even with the batch upload disabled, the web interface in Chrome displays 331 lines of HTML to present the menus to me, including one ginormous line that wraps several dozen times.

As for the batch processing being down because of "sloth", well there's certainly the view (once again) that testing across the functions is coming up short. But I would venture to guess that batch processing is used by a relatively small number of users, and is certainly a subset of the entire Twinspires account holders. Considering web and mobile are probably the big hitters, the priority to repair functionality used by fewer users is of course lower - pretty much like folks up in the hills and hollers of the county are last to get the road out front plowed after a blizzard. Sloth maybe, being lower on the totem pole, most probably.

I'm not making excuses for TS - it's obvious to me they need to upgrade the quality of their IT staff, and the corresponding departments of development and support, if they want to maintain the same or improve the user experience. But as one who works in IT myself, I can tell you the bean counters are firmly in charge - and the trend has definitely been to pay less, staff with fewer people, and keep the stock price up. And I don't see that trend changing.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2018, 02:12 PM   #64
howardjim

Most endeavors of any CD business carry a strong scent of "we don't give a shit".

It's been that way for years and is unlikely to change.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:14 PM   #65
mikesal57
Veteran

Watching the races should be like this....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (259.0 KB, 26 views)
mikesal57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2018, 02:15 PM   #66
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkview_Pirate View Post
There's a legitimate gripe for TS failing to test basic functionality across the common platforms. But what you perceive to be a simple click or two, is often many lines of code and interpretative functions underneath the covers. Even "simple" ASCII commands are at the mercy of whatever Google, Microsoft, Mozilla and others are up to when it comes to updates, as well as whatever add-ons you use and how they are configured. Since a web interface is used to upload batch wagers, they are always using web based coding on the front end of the transaction.

On the back end, that simple ASCII file of course has to be parsed, translated to a SQL insert, confirmed with the transaction ID# with the tote, and linked to your account - and probably a few other things I'm not thinking of off the top of my head. That functionality needs to be integrated with numerous tools and levels of code, (O/S patches, DB APIs, user ids, permissions and security, network connectivity and ports, etc.). There are many places where the functionality can break.

Even with the batch upload disabled, the web interface in Chrome displays 331 lines of HTML to present the menus to me, including one ginormous line that wraps several dozen times.

As for the batch processing being down because of "sloth", well there's certainly the view (once again) that testing across the functions is coming up short. But I would venture to guess that batch processing is used by a relatively small number of users, and is certainly a subset of the entire Twinspires account holders. Considering web and mobile are probably the big hitters, the priority to repair functionality used by fewer users is of course lower - pretty much like folks up in the hills and hollers of the county are last to get the road out front plowed after a blizzard. Sloth maybe, being lower on the totem pole, most probably.

I'm not making excuses for TS - it's obvious to me they need to upgrade the quality of their IT staff, and the corresponding departments of development and support, if they want to maintain the same or improve the user experience. But as one who works in IT myself, I can tell you the bean counters are firmly in charge - and the trend has definitely been to pay less, staff with fewer people, and keep the stock price up. And I don't see that trend changing.
They did update their ADVERTISING STAFF......
Old 07-14-2018, 02:40 PM   #67
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Parkview_Pirate, I'm not sure you're thinking this through.

We're talking about functionality that was already working perfectly for years.

They know all the algos, all the parsing routines already. Not rocket science.

Nothing here, that can't be done in days, not months.

Claiming it's in the queue , without a real reason for the downtime doesn't cut it.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:04 PM   #68
Spicemaster

howardjim and altonkelsey

howardjim, I assure you that is not the case when it comes to TwinSpires.com. Not only would that be bad for business but I certainly never would have posted here if that was the case. There are a lot of good people that sincerely care about the job they do that don't deserve to be lumped into that general comment.

altonkelsey, I don't know how else to say it other than you aren't thinking this through. I didn't just ask about the issue, I asked for details. They tried to fix it a couple of times after it stopped operating with new/needed updates to the systems. They were unable to revive it - sometimes there are only so many times one use band-aids before needing to operate.

If it were an easy fix it would have been fixed. Once again, we are in the business of taking wagers, not driving business away. If you don't agree with my sentiment above to howardjim, surely you will agree that CDI cares about the bottom line and wouldn't lose business to an "easy fix"? The decision was made to reconfigure and that is where it stands.
Spicemaster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2018, 12:27 PM   #69
howardjim

Spicemaster, I wish you and CD the best of luck with your business model.

The profits will continue, as will client dissatisfaction and placing the sport's best interests as they lie, off the radar.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:40 PM   #70
AltonKelsey
Veteran

With all due respect, as a programmer, I find it inconceivable that your 'people' are unable to take a betting instruction and convert it into a live bet, when that's what the site does all day. Every day. And was able to do for years.

If there's some miraculous problem then I'd like to hear it.

Sounds like nonsense to me.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:19 PM   #71
Spicemaster

howardjim and altonkelsey

howardjim, I'm sorry that is what you thought my comment conveyed.

altonkelsey, sorry, I have no further details. I take the Development Team at their word they tried multiple times to fix it. I see no reason why they wouldn't have tried...
Old 07-15-2018, 04:28 PM   #72
sjk

It worked fine for 10+ years and broke on Derby Day when a lot of other things broke as well and then on another big day shortly after. Other than that it has almost always worked fine.

If the Development Team is setting priorities that are costing business I would hope the business people would redirect them.
sjk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2018, 05:25 PM   #73
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicemaster View Post
howardjim, I'm sorry that is what you thought my comment conveyed.

altonkelsey, sorry, I have no further details. I take the Development Team at their word they tried multiple times to fix it. I see no reason why they wouldn't have tried...
Most likely they out-sourced the work to India....get better programmers!!

How come other sites fixes their stuff in a reasonable time?
Condition betting works every where else , but TS has issues.....

PS- Kudos to your marketing department , I enjoy the 5 emails I get EVERY DAY!!!
Old 07-15-2018, 08:18 PM   #74
Spicemaster

Not here to argue or nitpick...

Thanks All, I'll go back to lurking...looks like it was a mistake to come with an honest POV. It's not accepted by the majority here, which is fine. I'll leave you to your discussion. L

Like I said in an earlier post, there are lots of options out there if you are unhappy....we'll continue to try to make you happy and work on upgrading the product.

If anyone wants to pass along constructive criticism or has a competitive situation I can fix, feel free to contact me directly. If you are a current VIP and think I can help LMK, after all that is my area. I'll do my best...
Old 07-15-2018, 08:37 PM   #75
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

A shame you are taking this course of action.

I would think you could understand just why certain people, who have been using a function of your website for like, FOREVER, can't understand how something like that could "break" so hard, that it appears unfixable for the time being.

If you are used to using the batch function to upload all of your wagers, and have developed a method of play that revolves around such a function, you're going to be pretty pissed off and not very understanding when days and weeks go by, and it hasn't been fixed.

I've done a pretty fair amount of programming myself, and I know something like this SHOULD be a fairly simple fix.

It's obviously not a priority for TwinSpires, for whatever reason.

I can guarantee that if there were a MAJOR PLAYER utilizing this function, it would have been fixed pronto.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: