Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-06-2017, 09:51 PM   #1
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Parx Race 9 (2-6-2017)

Check out the replay, especially the head on. Favorite should have been declared a non-starter. What were the stewards thinking? Check out the chart comments. Sure seems like he was trying to indicate the stewards just wanted to go home.

Attached Images
File Type: png ParxComment.png (22.6 KB, 127 views)
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2017, 09:55 PM   #2
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Standard operating procedure at Parx, nothing more to see or say....
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2017, 11:05 PM   #3
SuperPickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Check out the replay, especially the head on. Favorite should have been declared a non-starter. What were the stewards thinking? Check out the chart comments. Sure seems like he was trying to indicate the stewards just wanted to go home.
So I watched it live. I can attest to the fact it was a good 10-15 minute inquiry. I think the chart caller is alluding to the length of inquiry versus calling them out.

I personally think this one should have been a refund but I'm generally of he belief 90% of the time horses cause their own trouble.

Btw... isn't this one of those areas where the rule is vey different via jurisdiction. Basically in some places if the horse acted up and caused its own trouble it's irrelevant what the starter did?
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2017, 05:39 AM   #4
Jack950

Yeah I watched the race and saw the replay of the incident in the gate with the #6. Thought they would declare him a non starter. Took them a while to make a decision. Tough call as it looked like the horse caused some of his problem, but it also seemed like the gate crew had a hold of him when the gate opened.
Jack950 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2017, 08:21 AM   #5
no breathalyzer
Veteran

The chart guy at parx is one of the best.. tells it like it is and doesn't sugar coat anything
no breathalyzer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2017, 08:56 AM   #6
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPickle
So I watched it live. I can attest to the fact it was a good 10-15 minute inquiry. I think the chart caller is alluding to the length of inquiry versus calling them out.

I personally think this one should have been a refund but I'm generally of he belief 90% of the time horses cause their own trouble.

Btw... isn't this one of those areas where the rule is vey different via jurisdiction. Basically in some places if the horse acted up and caused its own trouble it's irrelevant what the starter did?
The race did go off 15 minutes late best I can tell. Equibase had first post listed at 12:25, but I assume that was a mistake and 1st post was 12:55. That would put the 9th at a scheduled 4:31 and it went off at 4:46. I have no idea why that was included in the chart. I have never seen that before.

I'd disagree the horse caused his own trouble. Horses act up like that all the time and the vast majority don't wind up being held when the gate is open. No idea why the starter pushed the button when he did.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:50 AM   #7
Elliott Sidewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by no breathalyzer
The chart guy at parx is one of the best.. tells it like it is and doesn't sugar coat anything
Ok, he had a good description of the favorite's bad start, but overall I respectfully disagree; for years the chart caller at Parx has been putting snarky comments about how many minutes behind scheduled post times the races go off. It's almost as if he's looking at his watch and wondering he'll be at the restaurant in time for the "early bird" dinner prices. It's unprofessional in my opinion. A truly good chart caller (like the one at the major tracks in NY) gives more path information in his race description - if he did, I wouldn't have to watch so many race replays to evaluate how the track was playing each day.
Elliott Sidewater is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2017, 11:06 AM   #8
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
The race did go off 15 minutes late best I can tell. Equibase had first post listed at 12:25, but I assume that was a mistake and 1st post was 12:55. That would put the 9th at a scheduled 4:31 and it went off at 4:46. I have no idea why that was included in the chart. I have never seen that before.

I'd disagree the horse caused his own trouble. Horses act up like that all the time and the vast majority don't wind up being held when the gate is open. No idea why the starter pushed the button when he did.
The Parx chart caller mentions races going off late every single time it happens (and it happens a lot). He seems to take it as a personal offense that things are running behind schedule and keeping him there working. I haven't seen it in any other track's chart but it's SOP for that guy.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2017, 01:12 PM   #9
tophatmert

I believe they were 15 minutes behind schedule halfway through the card.
tophatmert is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2017, 01:16 PM   #10
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01
The Parx chart caller mentions races going off late every single time it happens (and it happens a lot). He seems to take it as a personal offense that things are running behind schedule and keeping him there working. I haven't seen it in any other track's chart but it's SOP for that guy.
I hadn't noticed it before, seems pretty petty.