Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 03-26-2015, 08:48 PM   #1
Stillriledup
Veteran

Popularity of March Madness.

NBA players are far superior than most of these players in this tournament, you have a few freaks who could step into the NBA today and fit right in, but many of these guys are going to be pumping gas when their college career is over.

Why the "lure" to watch players who are not as good as the pros?
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2015, 09:10 PM   #2
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
NBA players are far superior than most of these players in this tournament, you have a few freaks who could step into the NBA today and fit right in, but many of these guys are going to be pumping gas when their college career is over.

haven't watched one game in 20 years.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2015, 10:43 PM   #3
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6
haven't watched one game in 20 years.
Its all about brackets and gambling. And ironically, you have the NCAA fighting NJ on the sports betting issue when the only reason their basketball is popular is because of fantasy sports, gambling and office pools. Its a great gambling product, people aren't watching it because of the great players.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:25 PM   #4
Valuist

Can you imagine an office pool on Triple A baseball teams in a tournament?

Its the brackets and nothing else. And the huge interest is opening Thurs-Sunday. It dies down quite a bit for the next weekend and then a resurgence for the Final Four.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2015, 12:49 AM   #5
Clocker

Quote:
Its all about brackets and gambling.
I haven't watched NBA games in untold years. I remember them as boring. Regular college games are a cut above that, one reason being you favor one school over another. College tournament or championship games are a step up from that because of the intensity.

March Madness is the best of all because of the drama, the one and done aspect, and the Cinderella teams. I don't make out brackets and I don't bet on any sports that only involve two-legged athletes. The NCAA this year is okay, but below average for a causal fan because of the preponderance of chalk.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:59 AM   #6
Tall One
Scum Bum!

Quote:

Uh....Stein(maybe) Lyles(maybe) Townes(probably) Twins(no) Booker(no) Ulis(no) Lee(no) Poythress(graduates this year, can basically stay in college for free next year) Johnson(no)...

Last edited by Tall One; 03-27-2015 at 01:01 AM.
Tall One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2015, 03:38 AM   #7
Marshall Bennett

Quote:

The excitement level is greater when you have kids playing their hearts out versus overpaid men that half the time seem like they don't give a shit. That's it for me, anyway.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2015, 03:55 AM   #8
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett
The excitement level is greater when you have kids playing their hearts out versus overpaid men that half the time seem like they don't give a shit. That's it for me, anyway.
I don't really agree that they're overpaid, if anything they're underpaid because of a cap on the contracts, there's only so much you could make, if there was unlimited amounts the players could get paid, Lebron and a few others would be making double what they're making. The owners aren't going to pay the players so much money that they themselves are in the red at the end...so, i think that if they're making a large enough profit, by definition the players aren't overpaid.

There's 82 grueling NBA games in the season, they play WAY more games than the college players, and the players are so much bigger and faster, its really tiring to play that many games, but the effort is pretty good, its much better than it used to be, i don't think kids who are going to be pumping gas in a year or two are "playing harder" than NBA stars. Is the 4th best player on Wisconsin playing harder than Russell Westbrook? I'd say no, not even close.

I think the idea that these college players are playing harder for free than NBA guys are playing (knowing that millions of dollars await them in their next contract) is just a little hard for me to believe. I just dont see it.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:32 AM   #9
Dark Horse

No way I'm watching games with 29 timeouts (5 per half per team plus nine tv timeouts) over 40 minutes of play. It's truly amazing what you can stuff down people's throats. I remember when March Madness was fun, but this is a joke.

Last edited by Dark Horse; 03-27-2015 at 11:39 AM.
Dark Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2015, 12:09 PM   #10
Marshall Bennett

Quote:

I think the idea that these college players are playing harder for free than NBA guys are playing (knowing that millions of dollars await them in their next contract) is just a little hard for me to believe. I just dont see it.
You have to be joking, right?
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2015, 04:15 PM   #11
Tall One
Scum Bum!

Note to self...make sure you understand the topic of the thread before posting. Also, be sober when posting in said thread.

On topic, I don't think NBA players take it up a notch until playoff time.
Tall One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2015, 08:40 PM   #12
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall One
Note to self...make sure you understand the topic of the thread before posting. Also, be sober when posting in said thread.

[YT=""]Qw9oX-kZ_9k[/YT]
Old 03-27-2015, 11:32 PM   #13
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall One

And if the college teams played 82 games? They'd be laying down a lot.

I used the example earlier of Triple A baseball. Imagine the country in a frenzy over a Pawtucket vs Albequerque playoff, or an Arena League football playoff. I guess we certainly can use college football also, although that clearly has a big following. To each their own, but I have to agree with SRU; I'd rather watch the best in a sport, than a level that's clearly a cut below.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:49 PM   #14
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
I'd rather watch the best in a sport, than a level that's clearly a cut below.
They are two different sports. Steaks and hamburgers are both beef, but they are two different foods. I'd rather have a great hamburger than an average steak.

I'd rather watch an exciting NCAA game than an average NBA game. You have a lot better chance of seeing best of class in March Madness than in the slog through an NBA season.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:16 AM   #15
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker
They are two different sports. Steaks and hamburgers are both beef, but they are two different foods. I'd rather have a great hamburger than an average steak.

I'd rather watch an exciting NCAA game than an average NBA game. You have a lot better chance of seeing best of class in March Madness than in the slog through an NBA season.
Again apples and oranges. An NCAA tourney game should really only be compared to NBA playoffs. Yes, some NBA regular season games can be boring. Same could be said for plenty of college games in December and January.

I will agree with your great hamburger analogy. Unless its a filet, I'll usually take the good burger.