Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-13-2019, 08:44 PM   #1
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

NYRA Triple Crown Turf

NYRA announcing a Triple Crown Turf series for both Colts/Fillies.

I think it is a great idea for 6 races already on the ledger, that didn't need much more money influence anyway.

Come on New York horse race enthusiasts. Create the interest and back this needed turf race influence into everything that is known as American turf horse racing.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...os-3yo-fillies
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2019, 10:41 PM   #2
SG4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post

I think it is a great idea for 6 races already on the ledger, that didn't need much more money influence anyway.

Come on New York horse race enthusiasts. Create the interest and back this needed turf race influence into everything that is known as American turf horse racing.

Which 6 races are you referring to as having already been on the ledger? 4 of these are newly created.

I do appreciate a continuance of events, but if you're going to make a triple anything I think it'd be cool if tracks could work together with possibly arranging a bonus for races already on the schedule. A Penn Mile - Belmont Derby (shorten to 9f?) - Secretariat triple would've been a nice progression for already established races. With everything at one location I worry about competition thinning out through the series.

Also anything that brings major 3yo only races to the fall continues to aggravate. I know that's just the racing world we're in now, but by September it'd be nice if we saw 3yo's stepping up to face older.
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2019, 12:46 AM   #3
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
Which 6 races are you referring to as having already been on the ledger? 4 of these are newly created.

I do appreciate a continuance of events, but if you're going to make a triple anything I think it'd be cool if tracks could work together with possibly arranging a bonus for races already on the schedule. A Penn Mile - Belmont Derby (shorten to 9f?) - Secretariat triple would've been a nice progression for already established races. With everything at one location I worry about competition thinning out through the series.

Also anything that brings major 3yo only races to the fall continues to aggravate. I know that's just the racing world we're in now, but by September it'd be nice if we saw 3yo's stepping up to face older.
Correct.

I read an earlier release or some clown on Twitter.

As for diminishing racing?

For 3YOs to race on turf into September or beyond, I think this series promotes EXACTLY that as Auto-Bids for winners to move on to their respective BC Classic races against elders.

Damn. I guess everybody needs to look for negatives in anything and everything.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2019, 12:33 PM   #4
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post

This is great news. Hopefully it is will spur an interest among connections to keep horses in training and not fear their horses running more often than every 8 to 10 weeks
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2019, 08:55 PM   #5
Someday Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah View Post
This is great news. Hopefully it is will spur an interest among connections to keep horses in training and not fear their horses running more often than every 8 to 10 weeks
I'd say most (if not all) turf horses in the U.S. aren't in danger of being retired at age three anyway, but I do agree about the racing every 8 to 10 weeks part of your post.
Someday Silent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2019, 10:27 PM   #6
Spalding No!

According to the Blood-Horse article, the 4 new races are not eligible for graded status for a couple of years.

I wonder why NYRA wouldn't simply retool some of their other 3yo turf stakes to exploit the graded status already in place. For example, the Jamaica was a Grade 1 in the first decade of the 21st century and the graded Saranac has (or had) been a mainstay of the Saratoga meet.

As it stands, this triple is basically the Lexington, Saranac, and Lawrence Realization (which originally was the US answer to the famed St. Leger in England) using the 1980s stakes calendar.

The idea of a triple has also been done before. Arlington had what was called a "Mid-American Triple", which was made up of the Arlington Classic, the American Derby, and the Secretariat. At one point, there was a $500K bonus attached. Never seemed to take off, perhaps because the purse money wasn't particularly lucrative or because of the focus on 3yo dirt races during most of the summer.

Colonial Downs had a strong hand in their brief history when they had a rich double made up of the Colonial Turf Cup and the Virginia Derby. They then teamed with Arlington adding the Secretariat and offered an unheard of $5 million bonus (with the catch being the horse had to win the BC Turf, too).

The first two races unfortunately died suddenly when Colonial Downs hit the skids, but given those races short-lived, but strong popularity, this NY version might prove to be successful.

However, I'm not sure if I buy into Martin Panza's "American racing is heading towards turf" outlook. I think it is very likely, as ever, that these races will be dominated by Euro runners whether imported to stay or "raiders" making a quick score. That in itself is not a bad thing and if the series doesn't make a dent in the breeding industry it might compel more American trainers with the means to follow Chad Brown and his owners' example and look to the European yearling sales for unraced stock (e.g., Newspaperofrecord (IRE), Demarchelier (GB)).
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2019, 11:37 PM   #7
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post

However, I'm not sure if I buy into Martin Panza's "American racing is heading towards turf" outlook. I think it is very likely, as ever, that these races will be dominated by Euro runners whether imported to stay or "raiders" making a quick score. That in itself is not a bad thing and if the series doesn't make a dent in the breeding industry it might compel more American trainers with the means to follow Chad Brown and his owners' example and look to the European yearling sales for unraced stock (e.g., Newspaperofrecord (IRE), Demarchelier (GB)).
Don't leave out Digital Age.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-15-2019, 11:36 AM   #8
Robert Fischer
clean money

even australians claim to have bitter ricing
Old 02-15-2019, 12:50 PM   #9
Robert Fischer
clean money

sorry, the 'Winx' stuff is in my head... NYRA's turf racing is exceptional.

This Turf Triple Crown is a great idea.

Starts July 6th with the Belmont Derby(boys) and the Belmont Oaks(fillies).
Old 02-16-2019, 12:02 AM   #10
SG4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
According to the Blood-Horse article, the 4 new races are not eligible for graded status for a couple of years.

I wonder why NYRA wouldn't simply retool some of their other 3yo turf stakes to exploit the graded status already in place. For example, the Jamaica was a Grade 1 in the first decade of the 21st century and the graded Saranac has (or had) been a mainstay of the Saratoga meet.

I believe something was mentioned where if the races start out as new they can receive a grade after 2 editions so I assume they're hoping all go straight to G1 status, whereas existing races would have 5 years worth of results in the review process & therefore might be harder to move up to the top rung so quickly.
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2019, 02:57 AM   #11
GBL

That idea was first floated by Panza when he joined NYRA after the closure of Hollywood Park. He did say it is one of his long term goals. It's a good news it is moving.

Haven't read any details but thinking...

1) All races must be G1 events from the get-go and must be run at differnt locations to make it more appealing, attractive, and neutral. Even more appealing will be cross country. One circuit hosting all races will dampen the excitement.

2) The turf races are popular around the world because most of the their top
races are run over long distances which showcases real stamina and class. 1m, 1 1/16, or 1 1/8m distance would be a disaster for their purpose. Starting the first jewel at 1 1/4m and having next two legs at even longer distances is what this endeavor should be about -- class and stamina is what the turf racing is all about. This possibly will attract international stars and not just their second-string which is a commonplace these days. They would need top horses from Europe and probably from Japan as well.

3) All legs ought to carry a minimum of $1m purse.
GBL is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2019, 09:13 AM   #12
classhandicapper

I like his idea, but the trend is a little surprising to me. I always thought that ultimately (long term) CA would become the turf racing center of the US and NY would remain dirt-centric because of the seasonal and weather advantages in CA. We don't even run turf races in NY for about 4 months and then we lose more races due to weather during the actual season. But the better turf racing is in NY and it seems the advantage is likely to grow.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:08 PM   #13
ultracapper

Whether coincidence or by plan, having a new series of championship races begin the same day as the final race of the biggest series of races in NAmerica is potentially a real opportunity for keeping fans that jump into the game in late April and are usually gone by mid-June. Keep them in for another 8 weeks after The Belmont. It would be great to really see the marketing efforts of the NHRC or whatever it is take good, intelligent, constructive steps with these new series.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2019, 11:22 AM   #14
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper View Post
Whether coincidence or by plan, having a new series of championship races begin the same day as the final race of the biggest series of races in NAmerica is potentially a real opportunity for keeping fans that jump into the game in late April and are usually gone by mid-June.
The Belmont Derby is scheduled for July 6, not Belmont Stakes day.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2019, 06:06 PM   #15
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

So they will be called what, the Triple BROWN and the Triple CHAD?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: