Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 07:54 PM   #8491
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I just received this intriguing e mail from a relative this morning.
He found it on Facebook.
I thought it might be of value in this thread.
With what is going on in the world these days Heaven could end up a ghost town??

My name is God.

You hardly have time for me. I love you and will always bless you. I am always with you. I need you to spend 30 seconds of your time with Me today. Don't pray, just praise. Today, I want this message to go across the world before midnight. Will you help?

Please do not delete it and I'll help you with something that you are in need of. Just dare Me! A blessing is coming your way. Please drop everything & pass it on. Why are prayers getting smaller, but bars and clubs are expanding? Why is it so easy to worship a celebrity, but very difficult to engage with God? Think about it, are you going to forward this or are you going to ignore it because you think you will get laughed at? Please forward this to all your friends. 80%
of you won't. God said if you deny me in front of your friends, I will deny you on the Day of Judgment.

When one door closes, God opens two. If God has opened doors for you, send this message to everyone... Forward if God's been good to you! God has been very good to me; He has given me wonderful family, great friends, great health for the most of my life and so much
more!

THANK YOU LORD!
AMEN, AMEN AND AMEN
Perhaps the author on Facebook had this passage in mind when he wrote what he did:

Rev 3:20
20 'Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him, and will dine with him, and he with Me.
NASB

How ironic that this text is found in the last prophetic book in the bible.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:19 PM   #8492
Greyfox

Good pickup.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:29 PM   #8493
boxcar

What is the difference between exegesis and eisegesis?

This is an excellent article -- a little lengthy but worth the read. The reason it's long is because the writer provides a very good example of how easy it is for any dishonest person to pervert the meaning of any given text, whereas exegesis requires "due process". It requires analytical investigation, which any honest truth seeker will do.

Exegesis and eisegesis are two conflicting approaches in Bible study. Exegesis is the exposition or explanation of a text based on a careful, objective analysis. The word exegesis literally means “to lead out of.” That means that the interpreter is led to his conclusions by following the text.

The opposite approach to Scripture is eisegesis, which is the interpretation of a passage based on a subjective, non-analytical reading. The word eisegesis literally means “to lead into,” which means the interpreter injects his own ideas into the text, making it mean whatever he wants.

Obviously, only exegesis does justice to the text. Eisegesis is a mishandling of the text and often leads to a misinterpretation. Exegesis is concerned with discovering the true meaning of the text, respecting its grammar, syntax, and setting. Eisegesis is concerned only with making a point, even at the expense of the meaning of words.

Second Timothy 2:15 commands us to use exegetical methods: “Present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.” An honest student of the Bible will be an exegete, allowing the text to speak for itself. Eisegesis easily lends itself to error, as the would-be interpreter attempts to align the text with his own preconceived notions. Exegesis allows us to agree with the Bible; eisegesis seeks to force the Bible to agree with us.

The process of exegesis involves 1) observation: what does the passage say? 2) interpretation: what does the passage mean? 3) correlation: how does the passage relate to the rest of the Bible? and 4) application: how should this passage affect my life?

Eisegesis, on the other hand, involves 1) imagination: what idea do I want to present? 2) exploration: what Scripture passage seems to fit with my idea? and 3) application: what does my idea mean? Notice that, in eisegesis, there is no examination of the words of the text or their relationship to each other, no cross-referencing with related passages, and no real desire to understand the actual meaning. Scripture serves only as a prop to the interpreter’s idea.

https://www.gotquestions.org/QOTW.htm

The example is given later in the article.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:53 AM   #8494
Greyfox

The Power of Prayer

A man's malignant brain tumor has vanished.
No surgery was done and apparently no other treatment.
He credits 'the Power of Prayer.'
That is not the first time I've heard of this sort of wonderful thing happening.

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2018...e-brain-tumor/
Old 11-10-2018, 12:02 PM   #8495
boxcar

Quote:
A man's malignant brain tumor has vanished.
No surgery was done and apparently no other treatment.
He credits 'the Power of Prayer.'
That is not the first time I've heard of this sort of wonderful thing happening.

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2018...e-brain-tumor/
Absolutely! God is still at work performing his wonders according to his perfect will.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:49 AM   #8496
sammy the sage

An interesting take on scientology...

Old 11-13-2018, 05:55 PM   #8497
Greyfox

Paul Harvey

Words of Wisdom from 1965

Old 11-13-2018, 11:34 PM   #8498
MargieRose

Quote:
Words of Wisdom from 1965

https://youtu.be/xSC21kRGseM
Paul Harvey offered some amazing messages. This one clearly has come to pass and appropriately deserves to be posted outside of the Religion II thread, as well. The devil, in one form or another, is among all of us!
Old 11-21-2018, 10:17 AM   #8499
boxcar

Colorado Christian Baker scores another victory -- but Colorado is relentless in its pursuit to make his life miserable in spite of Supreme Court ruling earlier this year.

https://www.wnd.com/2018/11/big-vict...r-in-colorado/
Old 11-21-2018, 12:43 PM   #8500
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Colorado Christian Baker scores another victory -- but Colorado is relentless in its pursuit to make his life miserable in spite of Supreme Court ruling earlier this year.

https://www.wnd.com/2018/11/big-vict...r-in-colorado/
To be clear, The SCOTUS basically said the Civil Rights Commission was biased. They were not explicit on whether businesses can invoke religious objections to refuse service. This is from the Chicago Tribune.

"A Colorado baker who refused to make a wedding cake for a gay couple on religious grounds — a stance partially upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court — has sued the state over its opposition to his refusal to bake a cake celebrating a gender transition, his attorneys said Wednesday.

Jack Phillips, owner of the Masterpiece Cakeshop in suburban Denver, claimed that Colorado officials are on a "crusade to crush" him and force him into mediation over the gender transition cake because of his religious beliefs, according to a federal lawsuit filed Tuesday.

Phillips is seeking to overturn a Colorado Civil Rights Commission ruling that he discriminated against a transgender person by refusing to make a cake celebrating that person's transition from male to female.

His lawsuit came after the Supreme Court ruled in June that Colorado's Civil Rights Commission displayed anti-religious bias when it sanctioned Phillips for refusing to make a wedding cake in 2012 for Charlie Craig and Dave Mullins, a same-sex couple.

The justices voted 7-2 that the commission violated Phillips' rights under the First Amendment. But the court did not rule on the larger issue of whether businesses can invoke religious objections to refuse service to gays and lesbians.

The Alliance Defending Freedom, a conservative Christian nonprofit law firm, represented Phillips in the case and filed the new lawsuit.

Phillips operates a small, family-run bakery in a strip mall in the southwest Denver suburb of Lakewood. He told the state civil rights commission that he can make no more than two to five custom cakes per week, depending on time constraints and consumer demand for the cakes that he sells in his store that are not for special orders.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:51 PM   #8501
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
To be clear, The SCOTUS basically said the Civil Rights Commission was biased. They were not explicit on whether businesses can invoke religious objections to refuse service. This is from the Chicago Tribune.

"A Colorado baker who refused to make a wedding cake for a gay couple on religious grounds — a stance partially upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court — has sued the state over its opposition to his refusal to bake a cake celebrating a gender transition, his attorneys said Wednesday.

Jack Phillips, owner of the Masterpiece Cakeshop in suburban Denver, claimed that Colorado officials are on a "crusade to crush" him and force him into mediation over the gender transition cake because of his religious beliefs, according to a federal lawsuit filed Tuesday.

Phillips is seeking to overturn a Colorado Civil Rights Commission ruling that he discriminated against a transgender person by refusing to make a cake celebrating that person's transition from male to female.

His lawsuit came after the Supreme Court ruled in June that Colorado's Civil Rights Commission displayed anti-religious bias when it sanctioned Phillips for refusing to make a wedding cake in 2012 for Charlie Craig and Dave Mullins, a same-sex couple.

The justices voted 7-2 that the commission violated Phillips' rights under the First Amendment. But the court did not rule on the larger issue of whether businesses can invoke religious objections to refuse service to gays and lesbians.

The Alliance Defending Freedom, a conservative Christian nonprofit law firm, represented Phillips in the case and filed the new lawsuit.

Phillips operates a small, family-run bakery in a strip mall in the southwest Denver suburb of Lakewood. He told the state civil rights commission that he can make no more than two to five custom cakes per week, depending on time constraints and consumer demand for the cakes that he sells in his store that are not for special orders.
Like the article itself said, the CO. Commission was NOT religion-neutral during their decision-making process.

You see, the hypocrisy here? The commission used religion to bias their decision but the baker cannot use religion to bias his choices. If someone decides to go into business for themselves, they are expected to hide their religion under the rug.

The commission should quit and cut its losses instead of persisting finding ways to persecute this baker; otherwise, this case it will end up back in the SC where this time the decision won't be so narrow.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:56 AM   #8502
sammy the sage

So extreme islamists go to their form of heaven by suicide bombing....

Christians are not allowed in heaven via suicide...at least by most branches of...they're so many have lost track...

so what about this guy...seems it could be suicide to some...but in reality...he was attempting missionary work....albeit...not the brightest way to go about it...

what's the call ?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/22/asia/...Top+Stories%29
Old 11-23-2018, 10:49 AM   #8503
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy the sage View Post
So extreme islamists go to their form of heaven by suicide bombing....

Christians are not allowed in heaven via suicide...at least by most branches of...they're so many have lost track...

so what about this guy...seems it could be suicide to some...but in reality...he was attempting missionary work....albeit...not the brightest way to go about it...

what's the call ?

Untold numbers of Christian missionaries have been killed for attempting to spread the gospel. That being said, there are too many missing facts to determine what the state of mind of this particular missionary was.
Old 11-23-2018, 12:16 PM   #8504
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy the sage View Post

what's the call ?

That's the same guy who I posted about in another thread.
Why isn't the Press and MSM screaming about that death?
They are certainly banging the drum about the Saudis killing a reporter
in a domestic affair.
Why aren't they screaming at Trump to do something?
Oh, silly me.
This guy was a Missionary. His death isn't as important to the Media as one of their own is.
Old 11-23-2018, 12:43 PM   #8505
boxcar

Quote:
That's the same guy who I posted about in another thread.
Why isn't the Press and MSM screaming about that death?
They are certainly banging the drum about the Saudis killing a reporter
in a domestic affair.
Why aren't they screaming at Trump to do something?
Oh, silly me.
This guy was a Missionary. His death isn't as important to the Media as one of their own is.
Don't you know: Christians are never persecuted. And those who think so suffer from a martyr's complex.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: