Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 09-07-2010, 05:09 PM   #16
skate
s.e. pa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal
every day but that is not where the best ROI comes from
every day....WHAT?
skate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2010, 06:04 PM   #17
judd

i am mostly a win bet type of person
i play tris & supers just at times
like to pound a win place show bet across the board
judd is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2010, 06:05 PM   #18
1GCFAN

Analyized my Twin Spires account and it shows a nice balance but I am $0 when betting win and place and an alarming $0 return when submitting 57 exacta bets. My game is tri partwheels and I am going to stick to it!
1GCFAN is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2010, 06:08 PM   #19
appistappis
longshot kick de bucket

my game has turned profitable again in the last six months......the reason, WIN betting only.
appistappis is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2010, 06:20 PM   #20
judd

Quote:
Originally Posted by appistappis
my game has turned profitable again in the last six months......the reason, WIN betting only.

thats what im talking about, sure you can get lucky and hit a pick 4 etc but
daily win betting you have better odds at success
judd is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2010, 06:21 PM   #21
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingal
As Dick Mitchell said- If you can't make a profit betting to win, you have no business playing the exotics.

Or as in Glen Frey's Smuggler's Blues

It's the lure of easy money
It's gotta very strong appeal
Fundamentals, Fundamentals, Fundamentals.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:48 PM   #22
CincyHorseplayer

If you are a win bettor,what is your criteria for a bet and what is your ROI using such strategy?
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2010, 08:02 PM   #23
Space Monkey
Veteran

Misscashalot, do you ever box your win bet in your exactas?

I always considered win betting boring, but lately I've embraced it. I've totally revamped my handicapping and for August I showed a win profit and an exotic loss. No surprise really and I've come to realize win betting isn't boring if you take the $ you would be spreading around on exotics and just put it on the nose. Saying that, I am now playing 5 times a week, instead of 4 or 5 times a month. That helps.
Space Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2010, 08:28 PM   #24
Trotman
Veteran

For 40 years WIN betting only and Exacta's when it fits.
Trotman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2010, 09:08 PM   #25
bugboy

win betting

o.k. gonna try two bets for 9-8-10
pen nat. race 7 # 10 win only
rpx r 1 # 3 win only
bugboy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2010, 10:27 PM   #26
misscashalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Monkey
Misscashalot, do you ever box your win bet in your exactas?

I always considered win betting boring, but lately I've embraced it. I've totally revamped my handicapping and for August I showed a win profit and an exotic loss. No surprise really and I've come to realize win betting isn't boring if you take the $ you would be spreading around on exotics and just put it on the nose. Saying that, I am now playing 5 times a week, instead of 4 or 5 times a month. That helps.
Yes, win betting is an acquired taste. But when you're on to it, it is sweet

My prime situation is where I key one horse to win, and play him on top in exactas with 3 others underneath. I never have a horse less than 8/1 underneath. The average win price is $7.50, and I usually put horses that are 8-1 (many times 25/1) or higher underneath. Average X mutuel is $75.00. Strike rate for win is 42%. Strike rate for X is 17%. I bet 1 unit in X and 5 units win. I bet NYRA only. So far this calendar year I have 158 bets of this kind. I have several other different types of situations which are handled differently. The numbers for these differ widely as compared to my prime. I wont bet into a situation where my strike rate is about less than 40% and roi no less than about +40%. That's my comfort level. I use an excel data base. I spend nothing for info, and bet at home. I'm strictly a board player. I don't know or care to know one end of a horse from another. I spend about 3 hrs a day in data entry and analyzing data. I live for what I do. I tell you all this because I'm curious about what other players here are doing in regard to what I've covered, and would appreciate finding out about what their comfort levels are, and what they, in fact realize in profitability. Thanx Misscash

misscashalot is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2010, 10:56 PM   #27
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by misscashalot
Yes, win betting is an acquired taste. But when you're on to it, it is sweet

My prime situation is where I key one horse to win, and play him on top in exactas with 3 others underneath. I never have a horse less than 8/1 underneath. The average win price is $7.50, and I usually put horses that are 8-1 (many times 25/1) or higher underneath. Average X mutuel is $75.00. Strike rate for win is 42%. Strike rate for X is 17%. I bet 1 unit in X and 5 units win. I bet NYRA only. So far this calendar year I have 158 bets of this kind. I have several other different types of situations which are handled differently. The numbers for these differ widely as compared to my prime. I wont bet into a situation where my strike rate is about less than 40% and roi no less than about +40%. That's my comfort level. I use an excel data base. I spend nothing for info, and bet at home. I'm strictly a board player. I don't know or care to know one end of a horse from another. I spend about 3 hrs a day in data entry and analyzing data. I live for what I do. I tell you all this because I'm curious about what other players here are doing in regard to what I've covered, and would appreciate finding out about what their comfort levels are, and what they, in fact realize in profitability. Thanx Misscash
Am I reading this right? Are you saying that these "prime" win bets bring you a ROI of +58%, and your exactas an ROI +114%?

If that is the case...my hat is off to you. I never thought that results like these were possible.

I am showing a ROI of +11.5% on my bets - which involve a rather complicated, structured form of superfecta wagers - and I couldn't be happier. But my bet sample is a lot larger than yours.

You say that you bet only NYRA. Is that because you have tried other circuits and were not pleased with the results...or do you just prefer to only bet one circuit?

Last edited by thaskalos; 09-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2010, 11:15 PM   #28
appistappis
longshot kick de bucket

space money, I couldn't agree more.
appistappis is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2010, 11:39 PM   #29
misscashalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
Am I reading this right? Are you saying that these "prime" win bets bring you a ROI of +58%, and your exactas an ROI +114%?

If that is the case...my hat is off to you. I never thought that results like these were possible.

I am showing a ROI of +11.5% on my bets - which involve a rather complicated, structured form of superfecta wagers - and I couldn't be happier. But my bet sample is a lot larger than yours.

You say that you bet only NYRA. Is that because you have tried other circuits and were not pleased with the results...or do you just prefer to only bet one circuit?
Yes youre reading right.

I collected data fr SoCal, Gulf and Churchill. But, because of several factors I gave it up. Reasons: 1- Using data that is successful at one track does not necessarily transfer to others. So new analysis is required. 2- Time involved left me no time to enjoy life. 3- Profitability was greatest at NYRA, so since all we are dealing with is hard cash, the more I needed, the more I can lay it in at NYRA.

You talk about complicated. My method is likewise very complicated. So we both know how difficult it is, at certain times to keep our heads on straight.
My Data entry is all manual input. My db is unique and is extremely complicated and contains many convoluted macros without which I couldn't function.
Your 11% roi is good. All it takes is cash, and if a player is profitable, they can lay it in (after all, a bank gives shit interest now). But that requires self confidence and the ability of maintaining your sanity in long stretches of consecutive losses which is inevitable. It requires balls, confidence and the ability to maintain concentration. In my example the longest losing streak, at a strike rate of 42% is 9; and this is on the win end. On the x its much more. Thanks for your info...and keep it going.

misscashalot is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2010, 11:45 PM   #30
DeanT

With you two, I'm thinking of changing my name to mrcashnotsomuch.
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply