Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 07-17-2010, 08:28 PM   #91
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame
No, actually, it does not represent racism or slavery. Please cite the website that shows that. Now some groups have adopted the flag and they are hate groups but that is not what the FLAG represents. Again, thats an association.

That in itself is one example of rewriting history.

If thats the case, based on B.O apology tour, why does this country still use "old glory".
You know the stars and stripes??

You can precieve what you think it means but since you like to use wikepedia...please show me where wikepedia says it represents slavery???

Now as I said, it does say that some groups have adopted it.....but that was not its original intent.
You're on the money as usual. In fact, the War between the North and the South wasn't even over slavery!

Boxcar
Old 07-18-2010, 12:55 AM   #92
TJDave

A bit simplistic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar
In fact, the War between the North and the South wasn't even over slavery!

Boxcar
I would think.

While the war was fought over succession there were a host of reasons for succession. Among them...the perpetuation of slavery.

Regarding the Confederate flag:

Association should be the operative word. While partial misrepresentations, most Blacks associate the Stars and Bars with racial oppression just as most of the western world associates the swastika with the atrocities of Nazi Germany. IMO, neither should occupy a place of prominence in our society. The harm outweighs the historical good... Which is best displayed in books and museums.
TJDave is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2010, 01:58 AM   #93
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave
I would think.

While the war was fought over succession there were a host of reasons for succession. Among them...the perpetuation of slavery.

Association should be the operative word. While partial misrepresentations, most Blacks associate the Stars and Bars with racial oppression just as most of the western world associates the swastika with the atrocities of Nazi Germany. IMO, neither should occupy a place of prominence in our society. The harm outweighs the historical good... Which is best displayed in books and museums.
And guess why Honest Abe didn't want the southern states to secede? Can you spell R-E-V-E-N-U-E? The government needed the South's bucks. Funny how all these things always seem to come down to money and/or power, isn't it?

Boxcar
Old 07-18-2010, 04:09 AM   #94
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar
And guess why Honest Abe didn't want the southern states to secede? Can you spell R-E-V-E-N-U-E?
I'm not arguing your point. Only that one reason leading to Southern succession was the perpetuation of slavery. Additionally, had Lincoln not later appeased the radical republicans in issuance of the Emancipation Proclamation congress would have shut off funding.

Slavery was an issue in both reasons for and continued prosecution of the war.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:41 AM   #95
boxcar

Quote:
I'm not arguing your point. Only that one reason leading to Southern succession was the perpetuation of slavery. Additionally, had Lincoln not later appeased the radical republicans in issuance of the Emancipation Proclamation congress would have shut off funding.

Slavery was an issue in both reasons for and continued prosecution of the war.
And another very often overlooked little "side issue" was the fact that many Northerners during this time also owned slaves. So, at the terrible risk of concocting a bad pun...the War was not nearly such err... Black and White issue and many would have us believe.

Boxcar
Old 07-18-2010, 11:48 AM   #96
newtothegame

Quote:
I would think.

Thanks for proving my point about progressives wanting to REWRITE history.

Libs and progressives alike would just as soon have this "dissappear" from history. But as I said before...to forget history only heightens the chance to repeat it!!

Last edited by newtothegame; 07-18-2010 at 11:49 AM.
newtothegame is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2010, 12:35 PM   #97
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame
Thanks for proving my point about progressives wanting to REWRITE history.
Who said anything about a rewrite?

Read my comments carefully. I understand the history. I also understand that rightly or wrongly, waving the rebel flag and whistling Dixie pisses people off. Then adding that the Civil War was fought over tariffs doesn't help the situation.

You wanna rub peoples noses in it? Fine...Let me know how that works out.

Last edited by TJDave; 07-18-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:46 PM   #98
boxcar

Quote:

Read my comments carefully. I understand the history. I also understand that rightly or wrongly, waving the rebel flag and whistling Dixie pisses people off. Then adding that the Civil War was fought over tariffs doesn't help the situation.

Yeah...there's lots of that irrational anger in the air these days. Some people just can't breathe enough of the stuff, it seems.

Boxcar
Old 07-18-2010, 01:01 PM   #99
newtothegame

Quote:

I did read them carefully...you specifically said "outweighs historical good".....
So what would you suggest? If the historical good is outweighed by "stereotypical beliefs, then should the history be "hidden"??

What are you trying to say...or are you saying nothing at all?
Old 07-18-2010, 01:04 PM   #100
newtothegame

Quote:

It has nothing to do with rubbing peoples noses in it!! If their beliefs...(which I have already shown to be wrong) offend them, then maybe they should actually learn HISTORY! Maybe they should really look at what the flag means versus what they THINK it means.

People of french descent were sold on blocks right here in New Orleans during the slave periods and before. Does that mean I wish New Olreans to be burned to the ground?? Get real!!

This is the problem in itself...when history is allowed to be distorted, rewritten, thats how misbeliefs happen.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:46 PM   #101
Space Monkey
Veteran

Quote:
Mr. Space Cadet, you say you voted for BO who is actually a left-wing extremist -- yet, you imply that you're a moderate -- a centrist -- someone who always has the middle ground in view? What in the world did you think BO was before you voted him? What were you thinking?
BO is a left wing extremist?? He kept on Guientner, Bernancke, Summers, Gates and we are still in Iraq and Afghanistan. He got health care passed, but took care of the health ins co's. He bailed out Wall St. Left wing extremist? You're dilusional.
Space Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2010, 04:55 PM   #102
Space Monkey
Veteran

Quote:
It is about time for another one of those sayonara "You won't have this monkey to slap around any more" posts. I think Peter Gabriel had a song about that
When are you going to post something with some intelligence to it. All you ever do is comment on others posts. You're a coat tailin lackey Gary.

I see that the Tea Party expelled the racist Marc Williams and his Tea Party Express. Good for them. I don't have anything against the TP. They have a right to their beliefs and place in our political system. I hope they grow within the GOP. So far, their candidates lose. I don't think Angle and Rand are going to win either.

What the Tea Party did was justify my belief that racist elements were being drawn to the organization and the GOP in general.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:02 PM   #103
Space Monkey
Veteran

Quote:
so you admit, you are a sucker? You fell for it.........

Get in line......you are one of a million fools..........

Now, how does that make me feel about just about anything you pontificate about ? Take a guess
It's unbelievablle how you all here spin everything I say to the negative. If you think for 1 second that I believe that McCain/Palin would have been better then you are truly dilusional. I'm disappointed that BO has followed many of the policies of Bush and Clinton. He has done a lot of good, but he needs to change our trade policies and show me that he's not a corporate politician like everyone President has been since Reagan.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:20 PM   #104
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Monkey
When are you going to post something with some intelligence to it. All you ever do is comment on others posts. You're a coat tailin lackey Gary.

I see that the Tea Party expelled the racist Marc Williams and his Tea Party Express. Good for them. I don't have anything against the TP. They have a right to their beliefs and place in our political system. I hope they grow within the GOP. So far, their candidates lose. I don't think Angle and Rand are going to win either.

What the Tea Party did was justify my belief that racist elements were being drawn to the organization and the GOP in general.
Another post about race from you...how interesting given your most recent thread.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2010, 05:49 PM   #105
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Monkey
If you think for 1 second that I believe that McCain/Palin would have been better then you are truly dilusional.
so you admit it ......... you're a sucker who fell for Obama's lies and the cult of personality. Hope and Change turned into Lies and Deception. Keep talking, you look worse and worse all the time.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply