Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.40 average.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #46
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
The rule I have a problem with is this "extended possession" rule they now have for receptions, esp TD catches.
This is the rule that robbed Calvin Johnson a few years ago and robbed the 49ers yesterday vs the Saints (although they scored on the next play or two).

The Niner receiver caught a pass in the end zone, dragged his second foot in bounds and then out of bounds (which effectively ends the play in my book), only to drop the ball when he hit the ground...which was some two yards out of bounds.
The rule was "no catch" since he didn't hold on through his tumble to the turf.
RIDICULOUS....he established possession and had two feet in bounds. Once that dragged foot makes contact with the ground out of bounds I say the play should end right there....thus a touchdown.
It is an awful rule that was created to make things easy on officials. But still, at least it is one rule that actually favors the defense, so I can live with it.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2013, 06:58 AM   #47
Quagmire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Refs don't have the benefit of replay on that play, and live it sure looked like a penalty. Hard to fault them too much in my opinion.
I agree with you on it looking like a penalty in real time CJ...it looked like a head shot.

If the NFL is serious about getting the calls correct they need to expand the use of replay to include questionable penalties like the this one and the one at the end of the Carolina New England game last night, they affect the outcome of games just as much as what they do use replay for now.
Quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #48
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire
I agree with you on it looking like a penalty in real time CJ...it looked like a head shot.

If the NFL is serious about getting the calls correct they need to expand the use of replay to include questionable penalties like the this one and the one at the end of the Carolina New England game last night, they affect the outcome of games just as much as what they do use replay for now.
New England got ticky tack calls in their favor all game, including on the last drive, but nobody seems to want to debate those because .......well, i'm not sure why, maybe selective memories.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2013, 06:47 PM   #49
burnsy
self medicated

[QUOTE=Stillriledup]New England got ticky tack calls in their favor all game, including on the last drive, but nobody seems to want to debate those because .......well, i'm not sure why, maybe selective memories.[/QUOTE

I don't want to debate it because i agree with you. For crying out loud, at the end of every pass play the players on BOTH sides look around for a flag...its gotten ridiculous. This thread just gets better and more acurate, 300 pound guys crying about bullying, the hit on Drew Brees (on the shoulder pad) may draw a fine (what BS) and that play last night when the Patriots are hoping for a "miracle" and the ball is thrown 3 yards short into double coverage, plus numerous BS calls before that even happened. If you play defense in that league, you are screwed...its not even fair anymore, tackling a guy in tackle football is now a penalty. Its all watered down for TV, the refs give scores like halloween candy even though the rules are so slighted in favor of scoring now anyway. I used to love NFL football, it used to be my favorite sport, but the penalties are making it unwatchable. Its so bad that the people that watch seem to want these BS calls. The ball went right to the defensive player, it was practically handed to him, held or not he was not going to get to that pass in a million years, he was at least 10 feet behind where it was thrown...it was a shitty pass, that only one guy could of caught and he did. Its barely the same game with these cheap calls and the new rules.

Last edited by burnsy; 11-19-2013 at 06:49 PM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2013, 11:58 PM   #50
Stillriledup
Veteran

[QUOTE=burnsy]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
New England got ticky tack calls in their favor all game, including on the last drive, but nobody seems to want to debate those because .......well, i'm not sure why, maybe selective memories.[/QUOTE

I don't want to debate it because i agree with you. For crying out loud, at the end of every pass play the players on BOTH sides look around for a flag...its gotten ridiculous. This thread just gets better and more acurate, 300 pound guys crying about bullying, the hit on Drew Brees (on the shoulder pad) may draw a fine (what BS) and that play last night when the Patriots are hoping for a "miracle" and the ball is thrown 3 yards short into double coverage, plus numerous BS calls before that even happened. If you play defense in that league, you are screwed...its not even fair anymore, tackling a guy in tackle football is now a penalty. Its all watered down for TV, the refs give scores like halloween candy even though the rules are so slighted in favor of scoring now anyway. I used to love NFL football, it used to be my favorite sport, but the penalties are making it unwatchable. Its so bad that the people that watch seem to want these BS calls. The ball went right to the defensive player, it was practically handed to him, held or not he was not going to get to that pass in a million years, he was at least 10 feet behind where it was thrown...it was a shitty pass, that only one guy could of caught and he did. Its barely the same game with these cheap calls and the new rules.
They're crying like little schoolgirls because the ref didnt make a call that's never been made in NFL history, it wasnt bad enough that the officials essentially kept them in the game all night long, but now they wanted to be handed the game on a play that the entire world knows is a free for all in the end zone, the precedent is that they never call it, no matter what and people are acting like a "penalty is a penalty" when they know the unwritten rules of the sport.

I didnt hear anyone pointing out all the times that Brady's O line held so he wouldnt get hit, but you know they all forget about the other "unwritten rules" that O lineman are essentially allowed to hold the pass rushers, but when an unwritten rule goes against them, they kick and scream like school children.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:31 PM   #51
dav4463

Otis Taylor, Fred Biletnikoff, Don Maynard, Lance Alworth, John Stallworth, Lynn Swan, etc, etc....made great catches with defenders hanging all over them ...after being knocked down while running their route!
Old 11-22-2013, 07:21 AM   #52
Quagmire

Some interesting ideas for rule changes. Some actually make sense.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...xing-nfl-rules
Quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2013, 02:36 AM   #53
Stillriledup
Veteran

Do we think the product improved today?
Old 12-23-2013, 10:33 AM   #54
MutuelClerk

No the product still sucks. However there is always one constant. Same Old Lions. Hahahahahahaha.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #55
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutuelClerk
No the product still sucks. However there is always one constant. Same Old Lions. Hahahahahahaha.
Its a horrendous product, look at the performances of the Ravens, Bears and Dolphins in "must win" games, pathetic.
Old 12-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #56
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

How would you like to live in Bills Country and get them every single week?
Old 09-11-2014, 07:32 PM   #57
Stillriledup
Veteran

Sorry to bump and oldie but goodie, since NFL is here, i thought this would be a great place to start.

Parity has essentially turned the NFL (and other major sports) into coin flips.

YAY WE WON means nothing because you didnt win because you were good, you won because the league is set up watered down, you won today, but you'll be crap tomorrow.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:32 PM   #58
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Sorry to bump and oldie but goodie, since NFL is here, i thought this would be a great place to start.

Parity has essentially turned the NFL (and other major sports) into coin flips.

YAY WE WON means nothing because you didnt win because you were good, you won because the league is set up watered down, you won today, but you'll be crap tomorrow.
Disagree. There are GM's that will adapt well to the new environment and others who won't. There will still be teams that are at the ends of a bell curve.

I will agree that 400 yards is the new 300 yards for a quarterback. As terrible as that may be to some, it's not a bad trade off a reduction in cognitively disabled former players.

I can live with it.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-11-2014, 10:25 PM   #59
Dark Horse

Goodell's NFL?

Orchestrated ballet, with a few sumo wrestlers tossed in to keep up appearances.

(two imaginary 'unnecessary roughness' penalties just handed the Ravens another TD against the Steelers).
Dark Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2014, 05:57 PM   #60
Stillriledup
Veteran

NFL at Rock Bottom these days.

Cleveland is 6-4 and got embarrassed today by a .500 team and got humiliated by Jacksonville earlier in the year.

Washington, goes into Dallas and plays a great game against the team, at the time, was the best in the NFL so what happens? They come home a couple weeks later and lose by 20 to the Bucs?

You see this type of stuff every week, teams just don't perform at a high level back to back games, its really random when a team decides to try, any team, even the best teams. Back in the 70s and 80s and even into the 90s, you could count on the top teams playing great every week, they didn't mail in games...now, you have a very fragile product, mentally these guys just don't get up week in and week out, not sure why there's really no true great teams anymore.