Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 11-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #46
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
If no flag was thrown, less people would be talking about it.

Whether the refs got it right or not is another matter.
Clearly pass interference was involved.
I don't know the N.F.L. rule book well enough to say the refs got it right.
If you're followed the NFL for decades, and i know you have, you know that certain things are "let go". One of those things is what is essentially a jump ball on the last play of the game. One of the other things is offensive holding. They want to protect their QBs health, which you can't argue with. There's zero chance that Tom Brady and his boys didnt get the benefit of the doubt on at least one situation during the game that could have been a penalty per the rule book. But they didnt. They didnt call that holding penalty on the O line...probably more than once during the game. You can't scream and yell about a call that you werent ever getting when your health depends on the refs looking the other way when your O lineman are taclking the pass rushers.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #47
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
If you're followed the NFL for decades, and i know you have, you know that certain things are "let go". One of those things is what is essentially a jump ball on the last play of the game. One of the other things is offensive holding. They want to protect their QBs health, which you can't argue with. There's zero chance that Tom Brady and his boys didnt get the benefit of the doubt on at least one situation during the game that could have been a penalty per the rule book. But they didnt. They didnt call that holding penalty on the O line...probably more than once during the game. You can't scream and yell about a call that you werent ever getting when your health depends on the refs looking the other way when your O lineman are taclking the pass rushers.
I don't know about you, SRU...but I sure didn't see a "jump ball" on that final play.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #48
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
I don't know about you, SRU...but I sure didn't see a "jump ball" on that final play.
Nor I.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #49
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
It was a hail mary type of play, it was a play where tons of players were in the end zone, its not ever getting called, ever. They're not calling PI on a last second play like that, they never have and they never will.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:05 PM   #50
Quagmire

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...-on-hail-marys

Here's NFL spokesman Greg Aiello's statement on the matter of pass interference calls on Hail Marys.

"Officials have long been instructed not to call pass interference on 'Hail Mary,' jump ball plays (at end of halves or end of game) unless it is blatant as it was in the Seattle-Green Bay game. Offensive pass interference should have been called on that play. It was more than incidental bumping and jostling."
Quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #51
Greyfox

Quote:
It was a hail mary type of play, it was a play where tons of players were in the end zone, its not ever getting called, ever. They're not calling PI on a last second play like that, they never have and they never will.
That was not my idea of a hail Mary.
The pass was of medium length specifically intended for Gronkowski.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #52
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
That was not my idea of a hail Mary.
The pass was of medium length specifically intended for Gronkowski.
specifically intended for a player with at least 5 DBs within 3 feet isnt my idea of anything more than a desperation pass. Completing a 25 or 30 yard pass into massive traffic when the defense knows for a fact that the play is a 25/30 yard pass into the end zone isnt going to be completed unless a miracle happens. These types of plays are extremely rare, you dont call any penalty on that type of play.

Also, what's to say that the defenders knew the 'unwritten rule' that no PI ever gets called on these last second plays and therefore played the receiver a little more aggressively than he would have in another circumstance.

It would be unfair to the defender to be inconsistent ....its like calling a runner safe at 2nd on the 'neighborhood play'.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:22 PM   #53
Greyfox

Quote:
specifically intended for a player with at least 5 DBs within 3 feet isnt my idea of anything more than a desperation pass. .
Your last several comments are leading me to conclude that you never saw the play or the game.
The pictures on the previous page of this thread clearly show there were not 5 DBs within 3 feet of Gronkowski.
The pass was not a Hail Mary.
I'm not going to disagree you with you anymore, because I think that you are just posting for the sake of posting and making stuff up.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #54
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I just watched the replay. Didn't see it live. This ball was intercepted well in front of Gronk. Right?

Is there an argument that he could have moved in front of the guy who intercepted it?
Old 11-19-2013, 06:40 PM   #55
Relwob Owner

Quote:
It was a long pass and it was desperate times, it was the last play of the game and they had to have the pass be complete for the game to continue...so yeah, i would say that reeked of desperation.

Don't you?

It wasnt a very long pass....just admit you are wrong, its not hard to do
Relwob Owner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #56
Quagmire

The Pats were at Carolina's 18. This wasn't a hail mary.
Quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #57
Relwob Owner

Quote:
Your last several comments are leading me to conclude that you never saw the play or the game.
The pictures on the previous page of this thread clearly show there were not 5 DBs within 3 feet of Gronkowski.
The pass was not a Hail Mary.
I'm not going to disagree you with you anymore, because I think that you are just posting for the sake of posting and making stuff up.

Bingo. It is maddening.
Relwob Owner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2013, 07:02 PM   #58
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
I just watched the replay. Didn't see it live. This ball was intercepted well in front of Gronk. Right?

Is there an argument that he could have moved in front of the guy who intercepted it?
No, you are dead right...SRU is right too. Hes wrong about the "Hail Mary" but there was double coverage and the pass sucked...it was at least 3 yards short. The defensive player was the only one that had a shot of catching that pass and it was the last play...it was one of the only calls they got right last night. The reciever would have had to run through the defender just to get it....even if he could get there.

Last edited by burnsy; 11-19-2013 at 07:08 PM.
burnsy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #59
NJ Stinks

I can't see the refs picking this flag up if the game was played last night in Foxboro.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:50 PM   #60
Stillriledup
Veteran

The only reason the Pats were "in the game" to begin with was that the refs were on their back the entire game. The refs kept them in the game, and now they want "one more call" to win?

Maybe if they didnt put themselves in a position to need a desperation hail mary at the end of the game, they wouldnt have had to cry like 5 year olds that they didnt win a game. They've won 150 out of the last 200 games, that's about 75%, so they lose a game and act like crybabies because they didnt win every game they play.