Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-12-2012, 01:50 AM   #16
guckers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickJ26
I wasn't aware of that. I thought he was retired immediately after the Belmont. I stand corrected. What does FTFY stand for?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ftfy
guckers is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2012, 02:46 AM   #17
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
After review, I still say thumbs down to RTR and thumbs up to Invasor.
And by the way, I have to say that Winning Colors is a pretty suspect Hall of Famer. RTR almost did just as much as WC (but let's face it, the Derby carries more weight than the Belmont), and I would not seriously consider RTR a Hall of Fame type.

BUT, Winning Colors did win the Derby and she came within 3/4 of a length of Personal Ensign in the Maskette and almost held her off by a lip in the BC Distaff...I'm sure that had something to do with her getting in...but she is a dicey entrant at best in hindsight.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2012, 04:29 AM   #18
shouldacoulda

I recently found a list of HOF horses. I don't know if it was complete but I was disappointed that Hoist The Flag was not on it. I know he had a shortened career but he was one hell of a horse.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #19
Cardus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shouldacoulda
I recently found a list of HOF horses. I don't know if it was complete but I was disappointed that Hoist The Flag was not on it. I know he had a shortened career but he was one hell of a horse.
The horse was brilliant, but come on...

Wouldn't it be fairer to say "disasppointed that his career was cut short by injury" than to be disappointed that he is not in the Hall of Fame?
Cardus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #20
shouldacoulda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus
The horse was brilliant, but come on...

Wouldn't it be fairer to say "disasppointed that his career was cut short by injury" than to be disappointed that he is not in the Hall of Fame?
I would have to say both. JMO
Old 03-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #21
MickJ26

Quote:
Originally Posted by guckers
Okay, gotcha. Smarty Jones did come about a furlong away from immortality, though. That's basically the difference between footnote in history and legend status.
MickJ26 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #22
CryingForTheHorses
In Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise Over Run
FTFY

Smarty was retired because he was physically crippled after the Triple Crown run. He still wasn't walking right when they did a short feature of him for the following year's Kentucky Derby. When they realized he wasn't making it back to the track in 2004 and probably a good portion of 2005, they made the deal to send him to stud. The Chapman's would have loved to continue running him into his 4yo season.

WOW!! Thankyou sir..Back when Smarty Jones was running the triple crown,They showed a clip of him cooling out.I did say then that he wasnt walking right.The thread Im sure is in the archives and there was a great debate over my words.
CryingForTheHorses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #23
CyberBet

I will say this, Invasor should be a lock if this horse made it to the HOF.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #24
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberBet
I will say this, Invasor should be a lock if this horse made it to the HOF.
In the realm of juvenile and 3yo fillies, Open Mind was one of the best. She put together one of the great campaigns of her division, winning at the top level at 8f, 8.5f, 9f, 10f, and 12f in the span of 10 months (with an additional graded win at 7f). From the BC Juvenile Fillies onwards, she took down every prestigious race for her age group save the Test Stakes.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #25
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No!
In the realm of juvenile and 3yo fillies, Open Mind was one of the best. She put together one of the great campaigns of her division, winning at the top level at 8f, 8.5f, 9f, 10f, and 12f in the span of 10 months (with an additional graded win at 7f). From the BC Juvenile Fillies onwards, she took down every prestigious race for her age group save the Test Stakes.

I agree, but it would be nice in her Hall of Fame write-up if when they referenced her CCA Oaks " win " if they said it was via DQ.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #26
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
I agree, but it would be nice in her Hall of Fame write-up if when they referenced her CCA Oaks " win " if they said it was via DQ.
All the HOF write-ups are horrendous. And the race records are atrocious. It's like the back of a baseball card.

Why don't they get together with DRF or Equibase and put up some meaningful PPs?

No wonder racing is in the tubes.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2012, 09:10 PM   #27
Rise Over Run
Slope Handicapping ™

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSchell_Racing
WOW!! Thankyou sir..Back when Smarty Jones was running the triple crown,They showed a clip of him cooling out.I did say then that he wasnt walking right.The thread Im sure is in the archives and there was a great debate over my words.
Well I wasn't around on PA in 2004 and I'm not sure how to dig through the older archives, but I'll take your word for your observations. I know your a good horseman from what I read here as well as my limited involvement in a racing partnership with Mike D in ~2006.

All things considered, the John Servis barn did an outstanding job keeping Smarty together for as long as they did. He gets a lot of flak for his training regiment between the Preakness and Belmont. Smarty really should have won that race, bad feet and all, and reached "immortal" status whether he ever ran again or not.

The Chapman's had extremely strong roots in the Philly area and wanted to run Smarty in the PA Derby, where a record crowd would have surely packed in to Philly Park.

Fragile breed..., yup. As great as he was for a 4 month stretch in 2004, Smarty doesn't belong in the HOF.

Our learning institutions only want diversity in appearances, not in thoughts.
Rise Over Run is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2012, 09:23 PM   #28
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise Over Run
Well I wasn't around on PA in 2004 and I'm not sure how to dig through the older archives, but I'll take your word for your observations..
Here you go:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...rty#post111765

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 03-13-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:31 PM   #29
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Where is the "great debate" over that opinion?
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2012, 09:36 PM   #30
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698
Where is the "great debate" over that opinion?
In subsequent threads (especially after he was officially retired). I believe in the "Smarty Jones Retired" thread specifically...or maybe not...I just looked that one over...

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...8&page=1&pp=15

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 03-13-2012 at 09:38 PM.