Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-23-2020, 10:06 AM   #121
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Unless I am mistaken, the racing rulebook states that all the jockeys in all the races are obligated to put forth their best effort so that their mounts attain the best finishing position possible. Am I wrong about this?
Best effort for a horse, jockey and trainer may be running 9th in a 9 horse field though, right? Placement in final results doesn't mean lack of effort.

Yet we've all seen those races where it *looks like* jockey took foot off the gas pedal or otherwise didn't lean into it correctly.......and then have to question "why". Horse may be giving best effort and jockey, too, but late in race legs get all wobbly or lead change didn't happen, etc. Jockey can often feel what spectator cannot see. Jockeys best effort, to my mind, includes keeping horse in race w/out breaking them down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
And if I am right...how do the trainers get away with using actual races for "conditioning" purposes?
I guess it helps that there are no races called "conditioning races"

If you're a climber then summitting Mont Blanc, Kilimanjaro, or Aconcagua may be considered a great accomplishment and a goal in and of itself. For others, these are just "conditioning climbs" before doing Everest.

Everything comes with context.

Yours are interesting questions and I don't agree or disagree.

Last edited by clicknow; 10-23-2020 at 10:08 AM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply