Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 09-30-2020, 01:33 PM   #1
Teach

Patriots vs. Chiefs

Last Sunday’s New England Patriots vs. Las Vegas Raiders’ game, at least for my own personal account, turned out to be a “push.” The Patriots romped, 36-20 (Much to my chagrin, I took the Raiders and the points). As it turned out, the Raiders looked more like “Paul Revere and the Raiders” than the Las Vegas professional football team; but I “saved my bacon” with the “over.”

This week, Bill Belichick’s Patriots are singin’ the Fats Domino hit-tune, “I’m going to Kansas City; Kansas City here I come.” On MNF, the Chiefs easily prevailed over the Baltimore Ravens, 34-20. The Ravens left M & T Bank Stadium with ruffled feathers. Ravens QB Lamar Jackson - he had a terrible night, passing - called the Chiefs “our kryptonite.” Number #8 should know better than to “tug on superman’s cape.”

As for the Patriots, they throttled the Raiders’ Derek Carr-to-Darren Waller combination. Waller had just two catches. Meanwhile, Rex Burkhead had his best game as a New England Patriot. The former Nebraska Cornhusker rushed for 49 yards on six carries. He scored two rushing touchdowns and one passing touchdown. Meanwhile, Sony Michel, who thus far has acted like a clipper ship who was becalmed in the “Horse Latitudes” got a gust of “wind in his sails” and rushed for 117 yards on nine carries. Meanwhile, Cam Newton connected on 17 of 29 passes, seven of those going to the aforementioned Burkhead who was playing like a man possessed. Yet one would be less than candid if they didn’t say that Newton struggled at times in Week 3.

Now, the Patriots venture into Arrowhead for a 4:25 p.m. Sunday afternoon tilt. The last I saw, the Chiefs were -7.

I personally believe the 3-0 Chiefs have too many weapons for the 2-1 Patriots. First, the Chiefs have one the best quarterbacks in the NFL, “The Mahomey,” Patrick Mahomes, the son of the former MLB relief pitcher, Pat Mahomes, (he was 3-0 with the Red Sox and 8-0 with the Mets). Mahomes connected on 31/42 passes for 385 yards and four touchdowns against the Ravens; he also rushed for 26 yards on four carries. Further, I don’t believe the Patriots can contain the Chiefs; the Ravens couldn’t. Further, the Chiefs have a solid rookie running back who can catch the football, the former LSU star, Clyde Edwards-Helaire.

And now for a little deductive reasoning. Given: the Baltimore Ravens are a better team than the New England Patriots. Given: the Ravens lost to the Kansas City by 14 points. Therefore, the Kansas City Chiefs should beat the New England Patriots by more than 14 points (all they need is 8). Thus, I’ll lay the 7 and take the Chiefs. As for the over/under, the last I saw it was: 53. That in my opinion, is a tougher mountain to climb, especially if the Chiefs grab a convincing first-half lead and then, subsequently, “take their foot off the gas pedal.” I’m tempted to bet the “under.” Yet I do not say that with any conviction. Something keeps saying to me that both teams will go “over.”

One other factor, the usually reliable Chiefs’ place-kicker, Harrison Butker, had an uncharacteristic, for him, poor game; he missed both an extra point and a makeable field goal. Was that an aberration, or is it a harbinger of things to come? Then there’s Nick Folk who missed an extra point (as it turns out, it didn’t hurt, but it could have).
In concluding, the Chiefs hold the edge in both total yards gained and total offense; yet the Patriots are better in the rushing department. Where the Chiefs really prevail is in passing offense. Other than that there’s not that much disparity between the two teams. Then, there’s Patrick Mahomes.

As for the weather, the last I read, it’s a fast track. Temps should be in the low 60’s.

My pick: Kansas City Chiefs, 35; New England Patriots, 25.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-01-2020, 01:03 PM   #2
Robert Fischer
clean money

Mahomes is tough to stop.

play zone? and Mahomes will try to run at that defender and put him in a 'monkey-in-the-middle' situation, where 1 zone defender is stuck is forced to commit to either Mahomes or the reciever.

play part man, and Mahomes has some good accuracy and enough talent and chemistry in his receivers to throw the ball to spots in timing.

I don't know how you stop that.
You can 'bluff' if you have a smart enough linebacker or safety where you jab step to the QB and step back into coverage (think the footwork on an NBA step-back 3pt).

You can give Mahomes a big rushing game, and try to keep him in bounds and taking some hits. (and I'm not up to date with the extent that the NFL protects these guys on hits even more)...

Great early season matchup
Old 10-01-2020, 01:17 PM   #3
jay68802

Should be a good game. Patriots try to play keep away by controlling the clock with the ground game. Limit the Chiefs offensive possessions.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-01-2020, 01:21 PM   #4
pandy

It's always interesting to see how Belichick designs a defensive plan to stop or at least slow down a top-scoring team. No one does it better.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-03-2020, 01:01 PM   #5
lamboguy

Patriot starting QB Cam Newton has the virus along with other players on both teams... so far the game has been postponed until either Monday or Tuesday
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: