Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 06-10-2020, 09:18 AM   #31
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
But when you are playing a horse who ran early in the meet, having the profile tells you what was going on then.

Check - I will find out about the lane stuff tomorrow.
Thanks Tom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesome View Post
Well I was going to sit on the sidelines and let you learn the hardway, but I guess I'll be nice....for once....the data is to broad and general and you need a huge sample size. In theory you could probably take the 1400 or so races over the last 2 years from HK that are easily available and grab the same info and see it there.

But I will say Jeff P's post about the horses closing against the bias is the type of stuff I think might still be valuable, instead of looking at the macro of a race, look at the micro, i.e. bias, pace scenario, odds profile of winner etc. Grading races instead of the individual horses in a race. Something I've dabbled more with recently.
So what you are saying is I need a bigger sample size in order to be more broader and more general? But as the meet goes on would the data for the RACES be a significance?
Old 06-10-2020, 10:05 AM   #32
HHE10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckMark View Post
Thanks Tom!

So what you are saying is I need a bigger sample size in order to be more broader and more general? But as the meet goes on would the data for the RACES be a significance?
I think he was saying that instead of grading horses in that race, you should instead grade the races. So instead of just doing the running style stuff for that horse in a race, instead grade the races that are run.

For example, if a race that pops up the most at Woodbine (like CLM 7.5k 6F on the tapeta) you should be grading that instead. That way when that same conditions go again, you can go back and look at how those races ran at that condition.
HHE10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2020, 10:36 AM   #33
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHE10 View Post
I think he was saying that instead of grading horses in that race, you should instead grade the races. So instead of just doing the running style stuff for that horse in a race, instead grade the races that are run.

For example, if a race that pops up the most at Woodbine (like CLM 7.5k 6F on the tapeta) you should be grading that instead. That way when that same conditions go again, you can go back and look at how those races ran at that condition.
Well there goes 2 days of work
Old 06-10-2020, 10:44 AM   #34
rispa

I think you should do exactly what works for you! But, when you ask for thoughts on your work, the opinions that follow may/may not be to your liking and/or helpful. Getting to know one track inside out would definitely be beneficial, regardless of the track. Find your path and then stay on it.
rispa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2020, 11:28 AM   #35
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckMark View Post
So does anyone want me to continue on this or just give it up?
I would like to continue but that is just me
IMO Conley....

Thats a lot of work for something you can get looking at the bottom of the Ultimate PP's....

Do you plan on using some sort of software or just the PP's?

Last edited by mikesal57; 06-10-2020 at 11:31 AM.
mikesal57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2020, 12:11 PM   #36
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesal57 View Post
IMO Conley....

Thats a lot of work for something you can get looking at the bottom of the Ultimate PP's....

Do you plan on using some sort of software or just the PP's?
Yea I could do that....
but I would like to help out others here with the info.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:12 PM   #37
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by rispa View Post
I think you should do exactly what works for you! But, when you ask for thoughts on your work, the opinions that follow may/may not be to your liking and/or helpful. Getting to know one track inside out would definitely be beneficial, regardless of the track. Find your path and then stay on it.
MOTIVATION!!!

Thank you sir.
Old 06-10-2020, 04:23 PM   #38
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I disagree with the large sample size.
To know what is going on for betting NOW, all you need is 3 races to get started. Long term data is helpful for certain thing, short term for other. If I am going top play CD Saturday, I look at Thurs-Fr races and make a quick profile - then bet using it.

Long term data is fine, but you bet in the short term.

Check, I went to the WO website and couple literally find no useful information there. WORST website for a track I have ever seen.
No idea what a lane means, pretty much don't care at this point- WO is off my list of track I am interested in anymore

Lots of tracks out there, no need to suffer the incompetence of the lousy tracks.

If I can figure it out, I will let you know.

Good luck
Old 06-10-2020, 04:34 PM   #39
CheckMark

Quote:
To know what is going on for betting NOW, all you need is 3 races to get started. Long term data is helpful for certain thing, short term for other. If I am going top play CD Saturday, I look at Thurs-Fr races and make a quick profile - then bet using it.

Check, I went to the WO website and couple literally find no useful information there. WORST website for a track I have ever seen.
No idea what a lane means, pretty much don't care at this point- WO is off my list of track I am interested in anymore

Lots of tracks out there, no need to suffer the incompetence of the lousy tracks.

Good luck
I will still continue to do this profile of Woodbine as it gives me something to do during this pandemic. Thanks for looking into it Tom and good luck with profiling Churchill.
Old 06-10-2020, 06:56 PM   #40
Onesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHE10 View Post

Not quite. I mean the question I would be seeking is what happen to horses who ran well in a sprint when the opening fraction <22 seconds in their next start? were they overbet, underbet or no impact? What if the final fraction was sub 23. How well do horses do when the favorite isn't in the money on their next out? etc.
Onesome is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2020, 06:57 PM   #41
Onesome

Quote:

Good luck
HKJC is the gold standard, everything including the kitchen sink on that site.
Onesome is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2020, 09:04 PM   #42
Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesome View Post
HKJC is the gold standard, everything including the kitchen sink on that site.
It’s unfortunate that many here can’t appreciate the scope of all the information that’s available on the Hong Kong Jockey Club Web site. They really understand how treat and accommodate their patrons. The response of course is reflected in the incredible size of the individual betting pools and the overall handle each and every race day. As far as I’m concerned it’s the best racing product on the planet!
Nitro is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2020, 12:30 AM   #43
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

All the info in the world is of little value if you are not going to play the races at those times of day.

And I am never going to.

Hong Kong racing does not exist in my world and it never will.
Old 06-11-2020, 12:38 AM   #44
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

CheckMark - I found out about the turf rails.
No mention of lanes anywhere I could see.

BRIS does not have any rail placement in any of their charts.
Both DRF and EB doe have them.

EB is he best chart, because it has run up distance as well. Have no idea if it is correct data, but is there. And it show you the running line positions, which is what yo need for a profile.

Unbelievable BRIS charts are so crappy - no Graded Stake mention either. Worst charts there are - FREE and not worth the price!

DRF has a really bizarre chart set up - old style charts, no options for running line positions and BLs, and a separate PDF for just the TV's and rail placements - instead of just putting it in the chart PDF.

The more you look for information in this game, the less you want to bother playing it......

I guess it is rocket science to some.....
Old 06-11-2020, 08:03 AM   #45
CheckMark

Quote:
CheckMark - I found out about the turf rails.
No mention of lanes anywhere I could see.

BRIS does not have any rail placement in any of their charts.
Both DRF and EB doe have them.

EB is he best chart, because it has run up distance as well. Have no idea if it is correct data, but is there. And it show you the running line positions, which is what yo need for a profile.

Unbelievable BRIS charts are so crappy - no Graded Stake mention either. Worst charts there are - FREE and not worth the price!

DRF has a really bizarre chart set up - old style charts, no options for running line positions and BLs, and a separate PDF for just the TV's and rail placements - instead of just putting it in the chart PDF.

The more you look for information in this game, the less you want to bother playing it......

I guess it is rocket science to some.....
Ok Tom thank you.

Yes I would have to agree with you about Equibase and their charts. Yes I checked out before I went to bed last night and saw that there were the placements of the rail in the charts. Now should I keep going with this or no?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: