Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software > HandiFast Handicapping Software

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:27 PM   #31
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handiman
Head,

To clear up any misconceptions on my part, by weighting, I am talking about giving double the weight to top horse than the other three when assigning points.

So are we talking about changing point values for the categories and leaving the weighting where it is or something else? By this I mean let user assign whatever points he may want and leave top with double weight and next three get the same or do we let the points be changed and the weight distribution of those points to the top 4 horses be changed also?
Ahh....I see the misunderstanding now. I was looking at things from the highest rated horse on down but your original code doubled the weights for the top horse. The way that I have set it up in HHX v2 is that if the user sets the weight at 20 then the next three horses get 1/2 that number or 10. In your code if the weight was 15 the top horse would get 30 points. It doesn't matter which way that you do it but the users will need to know especially if they are using v2. If you use your original method it will certainly deliver vastly different results from the way that I coded mine. The users can make adjustments to the weighting process as long as they know if it's different from HHX v2.

But the main point of my previous post was whether or not you wanted to give the user the ability to set four weights per rating. As I mentioned in my email that seems like a lot of code that might unnecessarily make things more complicated without giving much of a benefit to the users. But that's your call.

Last edited by headhawg; 12-09-2009 at 09:32 PM.
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-09-2009, 11:18 PM   #32
Handiman
BarelyWinning

Thanks Head that really helps!

Handi
Handiman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-10-2009, 12:17 AM   #33
douglasw32
douglasw32

If it helps in my years of developing the program I found that a horse with just ONE TOP FIGURE in just ONE of the categories would often win.

So I started awarding that scenario

Any horse owning the top figure, in any of the ranks got double the point value for that specific part of the total number (FAST)

Not perfect since ones with 2 or 3 tops would trump the one with one, but it would throw them up into the top 4 when it would normally dismiss them.

I use your part of the program and look for any horse top ranked not in the top 4 and consider them a contender.

If that adds anything to your idea.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:33 AM   #34
Handiman
BarelyWinning

Ok here's a little update. I created a window and added a slider, so the user can right now if it was available, click the mouse on the slider and move the pointer between 0 and 30 to set points for the Class Category.

Now I am looking for a little help from some people on how to add more sliders to the window. Once I get some clarification, the window will have sliders for every category. So the user can set a point value for every category.

There will also be a default button to return to original settings. Once I get this figured out I will add it to the six track version and get it to you Doug.

We will start there. Idea down the road would be to be able to set points for use with specific distances and surfaces and maybe even tracks.

Handi
Old 12-10-2009, 10:05 AM   #35
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handiman
Ok here's a little update. I created a window and added a slider, so the user can right now if it was available, click the mouse on the slider and move the pointer between 0 and 30 to set points for the Class Category.

Now I am looking for a little help from some people on how to add more sliders to the window. Once I get some clarification, the window will have sliders for every category. So the user can set a point value for every category.

There will also be a default button to return to original settings. Once I get this figured out I will add it to the six track version and get it to you Doug.

We will start there. Idea down the road would be to be able to set points for use with specific distances and surfaces and maybe even tracks.

Handi
I hope I'm not being a pain, but it would make more sense to me to have (at least) two sets of settings. This could be controlled through a drop-down. The idea would be to have the default settings and the custom settings that could be saved. I wouldn't want to have to clear the custom settings to get back to the default settings. Or am I just not understanding what you are saying?
Old 12-10-2009, 10:52 AM   #36
Handiman
BarelyWinning

Ranch,

The default settings will always be available. The new settings will be saved and loaded whenever the program is started. So in the beginning there will be 2 sets of settings. The default and the custom. But when user first fires up the program, custom settings will not exist until the user opens the settings window and creates them. Then they will be saved and remain until changed by user.

Hope that clears things up.

Handi
Old 12-10-2009, 11:45 AM   #37
Vinnie

More props for Handifast..

Douglas, Handiman and Headhawg:

Wonderful program that you have created and are so phenomenal to share in Handifast. Yesterday, HH was so very gracious to send me Version 2.0 of Handifast. Due to the recommendations of Lsosa54 with regard to weights for Socal tracks, I essentially mirrored Lsosa54's recommended settings. Using the BEST average of PWR and FAST ratings in each race alone, I was able to hit several reasonable Pic 3's and the Pic 6 would have been hit although it wasn't anything large the P6 would have been hit for as little as $64.00 at the most. Four of the 6 selections came in first and the other two were the 2nd selections.

R1- had the 3-5 and they led for virtually most of the race and it was too hot on the front end and the #3 fell out of contention with the #5 holding on for third place.

R2- A medium range FTS won by the #3 Malibu Rum at nearly 50 to 1 paying $100.80.

R3- Had the 2, 1, but the #1 scratched. The #2 won and paid $6.20.

R4- 6-3. The #6 won and paid $5.00.

R5- 6-1. The #6 won and paid $7.00.

R6- 1-7. The #7 won and paid $11.00 (Biggest mutuel in the P6 sequence).

R7- 6-4. The #4 won and paid $5.40.

R8- 9-10. The #9 won and paid $6.40. The P6 carryover was at or around the 900k mark, and the P6 paid out $1,364.00 for 6 of 6.

I just wanted to tell you guys that you are AWESOME!! Thanks for sharing such a wonderful tool for handicapping as the Handifast is with all of us. "YOU GUYS TOTALLY ROCK"!!!

Have a great day today. All the BEST!

Vinnie

"All Human error is impatience; a premature renunciation of method"- F. Kafka
Vinnie is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-10-2009, 12:31 PM   #38
Light
Veteran

Even Mr B just missed that p6 yesterday. If a handicapping program cant do as well as Mr. B. it belongs in the trash, so I wouldn't use the results at Hol yesterday to praise any handicapping program.Every legitamate program should have had 5 of 6 at Hol in its top 2 for a grand return of $38. Congrats on that. My homemade program has picked several retirement pk6's in its top 2. That also means squat. Because it doesn't do that most of the time and therefore I don't bet its selections blindly so calm down. You guys still have a tremendous flaw in your program and you think that my pointing it out was rude.You can shape it all you want,but you will never get around it. I'll shut up now.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-10-2009, 12:50 PM   #39
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

Would you like to put your homemade program up for "FREE" so we all can see the flaws yours may have?
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-10-2009, 01:01 PM   #40
Vinnie

WOW!!

Light:

Such Cynicism in your post.. Unbelievable!! Did I say that Handifast or any other program was a black box or a world beater? I currently work around folks with some major Mental Health issues and even they seem to possess better attitudes than you do in general.

All the BEST!

Vinnie

"All Human error is impatience; a premature renunciation of method"- F. Kafka
Vinnie is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-10-2009, 02:54 PM   #41
Light
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie
Light:

Did I say that Handifast or any other program was a black box or a world beater?
No. But you advertized it that way.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:09 PM   #42
Light
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Figure
Would you like to put your homemade program up for "FREE" so we all can see the flaws yours may have?
Of course my program has minor flaws.But I am aware of them when I see its output. But the free one here has a major flaw and mentioning it is taboo. Good luck with that.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:10 PM   #43
Handiman
BarelyWinning

Light,

You can say whatever you want to about the program. It's just a tool. It's not the world's greatest hammer, but someone might be able to drive a nail with it where with several other style hammers they can't.

Can you refresh me on what the Major flaw is again. I don't remember. I suspect for most guys using this program the cost out weighs the major flaw.

Handi

By the way, who is Mr. B.?

Last edited by Handiman; 12-10-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:05 PM   #44
douglasw32
douglasw32

Do not feed into it.

How do you use the ignore feature of this board?

No one is advertising anything since no one gains anything, if you do not like it then sorta like with public TV, change the channel.

Why follow and contribute negativity to a post, no one evr said anything you said was taboo for mentioning, they just explained that what you consider a flaw they consider a non issue with the way the program is set up to function.

Everyone got your point, no one cared, why is that so hard to understand.

Move on. I am.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:56 PM   #45
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light
I'll shut up now.
Unfortunately for all of us, you won't. You're not smart enough for that.
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply