Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-21-2016, 02:04 PM   #31
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysonpoint36
5 horse field in which the fav ran out.#cmonson. paid generous imo.
The 3rd place horse paid 20 bucks to show.

Ok, it was generous. I usually love getting 12 bucks when I can get a 55-1 to finish 3rd beating the 1-2 shot.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2016, 02:50 PM   #32
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
thanks for playing.

Super paid 27.30 for a dime.
so $273.00 for a buck...
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2016, 02:53 PM   #33
thespaah

Quote:
I thought it was a little low, i know what you're saying about the bombs being overbet underneath, so maybe it was a "Fair" price. its hard to get a lot of money with the 10 cent minimum when 2 of the top 3 contenders run 1-2 no matter what happens underneath.
And I imagine your contention is that the dime minimum "allows" too many people into the pool?
Sort of like, "they don't belong there"?..
Question....If the minimum was $1, do you think the pool amount would be
A. More
B. Same
C. Less
Old 02-21-2016, 02:56 PM   #34
thespaah

Quote:
I suggested a 1 cent minimum....wouldn't that increase handle even more?
Come on. Thats a straw man argument...
Old 02-21-2016, 02:57 PM   #35
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
And I imagine your contention is that the dime minimum "allows" too many people into the pool?
Sort of like, "they don't belong there"?..
Question....If the minimum was $1, do you think the pool amount would be
A. More
B. Same
C. Less
My beef is that if you lower the amounts, you make the bet easier to hit, there are plenty of easy to hit bets, why take a hard to hit bet and make it easier?
Old 02-21-2016, 02:58 PM   #36
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
Come on. Thats a straw man argument...
If the goal is to make the bet easy/easier to hit, why not make it 1 cent, that way, everyone can win, isn't that the goal of tracks who lower minimums, to get everyone to win?
Old 02-21-2016, 03:05 PM   #37
thespaah

Quote:
My beef is that if you lower the amounts, you make the bet easier to hit, there are plenty of easy to hit bets, why take a hard to hit bet and make it easier?
Concurring with another poster.....The lower minimum helps increase the handle...
Look, the pick 5 is a hard bet to hit. The min in some jurisdiction is $0.20.
At Meadowlands, the pick 5 rules allow for conso payoff and a carry over.
There are pools in that bet topping $500,000.. If hard to hit bets are your thing, bet those.
Old 02-21-2016, 03:09 PM   #38
thespaah

Quote:
Ok...its like playing a shorter golf course.
In order to score well, you still have to hit shots and make putts.
With the dime super, 50 cent pick 4's and 20 cent pick 5's, you still have to pick the correct horses.
Yeah, its "shot gun" wagering in that one can spread their wagers into many more combos.....Truthfully, there is less "handicapping" involved hitting multi horse vertical bets than hard hitting homework....
if the wager mins are more than the average budget can handle, they won't bet it.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:00 PM   #39
Dark Horse

Cold 'cheating trainers' superfecta just now in R5 at SA. Not that hard with five red flagged in a field of nine.
Dark Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2016, 07:29 PM   #40
whodoyoulike
Veteran

I find this a very timely bump considering I've been recently thinking about this type of wager. Figures SRU would have thought about it before me and would be the one to bump it up.

Thanks JohnGalt1 for mentioning they started it in Cali around 1995, when I stopped betting exoticas I don't think they were offered which is the reason I've never paid any attention to them until now.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2016, 07:41 PM   #41
InsideTheRaces.com

Quote:
7 horse field. Results were 2-1 over 3-1 over 20-1 over 40-1. The 3 horses out of the super were: 6-5, 6-1 and 24-1.

What's a fair price for a buck.

Thanks.
You should have played the .10 super race 8 at golden gate today $3,055.75
InsideTheRaces.com is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2016, 07:43 PM   #42
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideTheRaces.com
You should have played the .10 super race 8 at golden gate today $3,055.75
Yikes! Great price considering winner was only 5-1
Old 02-21-2016, 09:00 PM   #43
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Point me in the direction of these "easy-to-hit" bets. I like the sound of that.
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2016, 09:29 PM   #44
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg
Point me in the direction of these "easy-to-hit" bets. I like the sound of that.
Easy to hit bets pay Bubkis, that's the problem.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:14 PM   #45
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
I totally agree. Arapahoe Park (where super pools might be $1,400) tried the 10 cent super and found the pools were not only less than what they had been, but paltry. In a 10 horse race there are 5,040 combinations. A $1,400 pool of dollar bets covers AT MOST 1,400 combinations. Assume at 10 cents half the combinations are covered, or 2,520. The pool at least has to be $252 and will probably be a little more than that, but it is unlikely to approach $1,400. So maybe they are distributing a $500 pool, which means even if you snag the whole pool you get $375, which is a great ROI for a small investment but still - $375 for a pool shot? Needless to say, they went back to $1 supers.

One big difference between 10 cent and $1 minimums is that you often get payoffs to the "ALL" in 3rd or 4th at the smaller tracks with $1 minimums. I think the possibility of one of the low probability combos coming in can actually drive more investment in the pool. I hit a number of supers by playing ABC/ABC/ALL/(the two longest shots). Basically if I hit the quinella I was a guarantee to hit the super if nobody had the exact winning combo. I'd have passed the bet at 10 cents. I had a few pool shots this way.

I've talked to a number of professionals who have said the 10 cent super was the reason they've stopped putting money in the super pool. That makes sense when you think what they used to do was use their superior capitalization to overpower the pool. Can't do that anymore when anyone can buy a lot of combos cheaply.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply