Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
moneyandland

Aqu R 7 1/18/13 - Convocation

Convocation was claimed in Nov 2012 for $50K after a 1 year layoff, returned after another 2 months off for $30K, obviously a sign of trouble. Here's where my mind was wondering prior to the race.... IF the horse is a DUD/injured/whatever, Repole stables are out, $50K, big deal that's the game they know it, Pletcher loses a horse, loses some face, but he's got 500 more, the one with something to lose is Ramon Dominguez, he's gotta climb aboard the animal and go for a ride, risking far more than his $ or pride for a $30K clm, I understand that every mount he takes is risk, but does he know in advance what the horses issue is/was/might be? Does he even ask or just take the mount? I can see a young jock wanting mounts for repole/pletcher so taking the risk maybe worth it, but its not like pletchers going to say to dominguez, you didnt ride my 30 claimer so you dont ride my stakes horses

I hope Ramon is OK, no news yet
moneyandland is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
FantasticDan
gelding

The DRF twitter feed says that Convocation is okay, and fell after clipping heels, not a breakdown. Ramon going to hospital for evaluation.
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyandland
Convocation was claimed in Nov 2012 for $50K after a 1 year layoff, returned after another 2 months off for $30K, obviously a sign of trouble. Here's where my mind was wondering prior to the race.... IF the horse is a DUD/injured/whatever, Repole stables are out, $50K, big deal that's the game they know it, Pletcher loses a horse, loses some face, but he's got 500 more, the one with something to lose is Ramon Dominguez, he's gotta climb aboard the animal and go for a ride, risking far more than his $ or pride for a $30K clm, I understand that every mount he takes is risk, but does he know in advance what the horses issue is/was/might be? Does he even ask or just take the mount? I can see a young jock wanting mounts for repole/pletcher so taking the risk maybe worth it, but its not like pletchers going to say to dominguez, you didnt ride my 30 claimer so you dont ride my stakes horses

Not sure if the horse clipped heels or just broke down. He was in tight when the incident happened.

Repole has won with droppers like these...he's an owner willing to lose a little money in order to be 'leading owner' and he did many of these 'mysterious' droppers at the Spa last summer.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #4
moneyandland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Not sure if the horse clipped heels or just broke down. He was in tight when the incident happened.

Repole has won with droppers like these...he's an owner willing to lose a little money in order to be 'leading owner' and he did many of these 'mysterious' droppers at the Spa last summer.

I don't have the charts to back it up but I'm pretty sure every Repole horse I saw taking a huge drop ran horribly at Saratoga
Old 01-18-2013, 04:00 PM   #5
moneyandland

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan
The DRF twitter feed says that Convocation is okay, and fell after clipping heels, not a breakdown. Ramon going to hospital for evaluation.

NOT THE POINT, don't care if the horse won by 15 lengths, the point was does a jockey like Dominguez know what's wrong with a horse?
Old 01-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #6
RXB

Quote:
NOT THE POINT, don't care if the horse won by 15 lengths, the point was does a jockey like Dominguez know what's wrong with a horse?
I don't know how anyone could read your original post and not think that you believed the horse had broke down-- which it didn't. Thus, Fantastic Dan's post really was to THE POINT.
RXB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-18-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
Some_One

No one is forcing the jockey on top of the horse, the jockey/agent can read a form, they know the trainers.
Some_One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #8
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Trainers are VERY cautious of putting an elite guy down on any kind of horse who might be compromised. I remember many years ago i was in a conversation with a hardboot type of trainer who was a regular on the NY circuit, he was in his 60s and had been training for decades. He had won a race with a really good allowance type with Jorge Velasquez and i asked him about his runner tomorrow and he told me that he couldnt put JV down on that type of horse, he was like "oh no, you cant do that". So i guess many trainers understand that you cant use an elite guy on a horse who might be compromised in any way.

Of course, this trainer im talking about isnt of the Pletcher calibre, he was a smaller outfit so maybe Pletcher can 'get away with' sticking up top jocks on compromised horses but that's neither here nor there considering the horse clipped heels and didnt break down according to the reports.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #9
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
If he clipped heels, it's possible that nothing was wrong with the horse. I couldn't tell if it was a breakdown or clipping heels in tight quarters. About a $200 swing in bankroll for me on that horse.

These jockeys don't ask questions.
You do see situations in lower claiming ranks where a barn's top jockey isn't on a horse you would normally see him on.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:15 PM   #10
moneyandland

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXB
I don't know how anyone could read your original post and not think that you believed the horse had broke down-- which it didn't. Thus, Fantastic Dan's post really was to THE POINT.

Doesnt matter if I thought the horse flew to the moon, nowhere did I ask does anyone know if the horse broke down, and regardless of what you inferred from my post the question was does a jockey know why a horse is dropping?

RXB please go back to school and learn how to comprehend what an authors main POINT is... Fantastic Dan's post had absolutely nothing to do with THE POINT of my post

Last edited by moneyandland; 01-18-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #11
FrankieFigs
The 19th Hole

The talk on HRTV was clipped heels caused the wipeout.

If Dominguez had a crystal ball and could predict that, then his safety wouldn't be compromised, right moneyandland?

Hope he is ok; word is he left in ambulance.
FrankieFigs is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #12
Robert Fischer
clean money

chart is saying the horse walked off the track.

Convocation was claimed for 30K by Dunn, new trainer Jacobson.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #13
turninforhome10

Jacobsen to Convocation back for the 30k. Who will ride him next. Horse was trying to get out on the first turn and the whole way down the backside. Upon review, he clipped heels. Horse will be ok, but Ramon got stepped on for sure.
Synthetic Anyone? I am sure the safety cops are gonna be all over this one, especially with the drop in price.
turninforhome10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #14
moneyandland

The fact that the horse fell down has nothing to do with anything, you guys are some hardheads, I never even mentioned it, 9 posts in and only 2 of them really address my question
Old 01-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #15
turninforhome10

Quote:

I really have a hard time believing that Ramon's agent would put him on a cripple. If the horse had real problems, he would have been shipped to Parx and get a bug boy. They wanted to win the race and took no chances by booking Ramon. They win and give the horse back to Jacobsen. By the year layoff I would bet that he broke a bone or a suspensory issue.
turninforhome10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply