Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-14-2006, 01:42 AM   #61
kenwoodallpromos

Say Cousin Lenny

Not much to comment on, just enough records to speculate that the owner would give Say Cousin Leeny to any trainer that will work the horse hard enough to finish well, even a series of bi-monthly Alw's in front wraps until they had to slow it down to a 1 month break, but that didn't work, so they gave it 3 months and ran it hard enough for a win, but that messed it up so bad it was off 1 year until this July 9- obviously by the end of that race the horse can no longer race. Probably should have retired it permanently April 2005 instead of switching owners to whoever will take it and try to train it.
At least that is what it says in the PP's. I wonder how good of exams the horse got prior to this July 9th's race?
I have benn advocating nuclear and ultrsound exams every 6 months.
Let me know if you hear what the end result is.
Do you know anything about the owner, Sanford Bacon?

Last edited by kenwoodallpromos; 07-14-2006 at 01:47 AM.
kenwoodallpromos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2006, 01:57 AM   #62
kenwoodallpromos

Say Cousin Lenny

Web says Bacon has been around awhils, breeder and owner- probably leaves the hands on training of racers to whichever trainer says he (or she?) can produce with the horse.
Trainer Gary Gullo- web say he trained 25 years, quit for a month to be Chavez' agent, then began training again. Appearantly Gullo recently got Say Cousin Lenny after the long layoff to try to put the horse back in racing shape. Not many workouts leading up to this race. First recorded work after layoff was 5/41 4f, then a slower 5f, then about 13/36 4f aweek prior to the race, 2 post, blinkers, 20% E. Coa- they were going to give Lenny one heck of a shakledown cruise!!

Last edited by kenwoodallpromos; 07-14-2006 at 02:03 AM.
kenwoodallpromos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2006, 02:39 AM   #63
bigmack

Dr Dean:

Today he looks very good," Richardson said. ``His right leg looks to be healing well. He's eating well, walks around his stall, his eyes are bright and his ears are perked up. He nickers when people come near. "If you look at this horse, it would be very hard to put him down."
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2006, 07:26 AM   #64
maxwell

I never had a good feeling about this guy's chances; all those screws and plates.

I was starting to have a little faith but I should have known better. I hope he proves me wrong ... but I don't see it.
maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2006, 08:53 AM   #65
LaughAndBeMerry
Beantown Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPinMaryland
as far as the steriod/putting on bulk comment goes... I dont recall Barbaro being overly muscled or maybe I am forgetting? Tall and rangey maybe?
I don't think Barbaro was bulked up on steroids.

1) Matz is more a hay, oats & water kind of trainer (see O'Neill,Dutrow,Pletcher).

2) Barbaro was a homebred. If the breeder isn't planning on selling the foal there's not as much pressure to push along his development.

Take a look at some of the pictures from the KEE or SAR yearling sales. The 1YOs look like 2YOs used to look, and the 2YO's in training look like 3YOs. That's not all mother nature.

P.S. Steroids are a prohibited substance in the Far East and Middle East (Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Dubai). See the DQ of Brass Hat, Whilly not shipping to HK because O'Neill feared a positive test, Da Hoss scratched on the eve of a race in HK for testing positive, etc.
LaughAndBeMerry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2006, 09:31 AM   #66
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

A glimmer?

Quote:
Barbaro 'Doing Much Better' Friday Morning
Barbaro was doing "much better" Friday morning, a day after his veterinarian said the classic winner was a "long shot" to survive a potentially fatal hoof disease. Blood-Horse
Old 07-14-2006, 10:07 AM   #67
Barbaro2006

Barbaro just has to pull thru this!! He is a champion and a beautiful colt with a large heart and lots of courage!! I've gotten very attached to this colt and it just sickens me to think of them having to put him down. Yesterday when the news was saying he was getting worse and the possibility of putting him down could happen within 24 hrs, all i could do was cry. This horse deserves to run around the paddocks, breed if he wants too, have a happy and healthy life and not be in pain. I know that if the disease gets worse it's only humane to put him down, but i really hope they don't give up on him. Miracles happen and I believe Barbaro deserves his miracle. I don't give up on animals I care about and I don't think the Jacksons are willing to either. I will continue to keep my fave colt in my prayers and thoughts and I hope others do as well.
Barbaro2006 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2006, 11:46 AM   #68
CryingForTheHorses
In Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
Barbaro's injury was nothing more, and nothing less, than bad luck. All these post race theories and hypotheses are absurd. I would assume that most of us have been around the game long enough to know that they are fragile animals that are ALWAYS one step away from catastrophe. Most of the time these catastrophes happen in races most of us don't notice. Sometimes they occur in races we do see and most of the time we simply say some variation of " it's a brutal game ". Just because this time it happened to a high profile horse in a high profile race doesn't make it any different than the plethora of other tragic races and events.

Yes, it hits most of us harder because it happened to a terrific horse in front of millions of eyes, but that doesn't mean it was either predictable or preventable. Simply said, it sucks, but enough of the " we should have seen it coming " posts, as they are neither true nor relevent.

Why is this worse than the seemingly preventable demise of Say Cousin Lenny, a horse who nobody here commented about at all?

Great post and very true!!
CryingForTheHorses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2006, 11:58 AM   #69
46zilzal
velocitician

I went through the Thoroughbred Record's Almanac looking up the obituaries of horses that had passed in that year and about HALF were put down from complications from laminitis. That is what got Secretariat as well.
46zilzal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2006, 01:14 PM   #70
alydar44
Journeyman

I just watched a replay of the derby. My favorite part was at the turn when he got even with sinister minister.

He bumped him as if to say "get out of my way"

The bump was nothing hard, but sinister minister quickly got out of the way cause I guess he knew what was coming.
alydar44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2006, 01:18 PM   #71
WJ47

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal
I went through the Thoroughbred Record's Almanac looking up the obituaries of horses that had passed in that year and about HALF were put down from complications from laminitis. That is what got Secretariat as well.
I believe Sunday Silence suffered from laminitis as well. I think he had it for a long time, maybe 3 months, and they were considering putting him down to end his suffering. But he had a heart attack before they did.

The latest news on Barbaro is encouraging. He's certainly fighting!
WJ47 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2006, 02:32 PM   #72
JPinMaryland

that bumping they do is crazy. I guess it is called dominance. I saw Proud Accolade to that to a horse at BEL, I think it was the CHampaign stakes maybe. This horse thought he'd challenge PA but PA just swatted him into place and there he sat on the rail not challenging anyone. That bump had some force behind it.

I didnt notice Barb doing that in KY Derby. He did try to do that in the FL derby but that other horse was too game to succumb.

I think we have to be circumspect about the good news today. This laminitis stuff has to be watched closely.
JPinMaryland is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2006, 02:36 PM   #73
JPinMaryland

Just read the story linked to above. What does this quote mean:

"If he starts acting like he doesn't want to stand on the leg, that's it - that will be when we call it quits,"

Which leg does he mean? The left one (w/ laminitis) or the right one (broken)? What would it mean if he doesnt want to stand on the leg anyhow? DOes it mean he is in too much pain? Does it mean laminitis has returned?

Sorry, I just not up to speed on horse ailments.
JPinMaryland is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2006, 03:22 PM   #74
alydar44
Journeyman

I assume they mean the leg with the laminites. He developed it from not wanting to stand on his other leg and putting all his leg on the then healthy leg.
alydar44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2006, 03:45 PM   #75
Wiley
Horse Racing Connossieur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPinMaryland
Just read the story linked to above. What does this quote mean:

"If he starts acting like he doesn't want to stand on the leg, that's it - that will be when we call it quits,"

Which leg does he mean? The left one (w/ laminitis) or the right one (broken)?
I think he means the laminitis left hind leg, the biggest problem right now. Comes down to the pain factor, if he won't put any weight on the leg he is in discomfort. Laminitis in the uninjured leg was the big concern early on and the concern is now a reality.
He is a tough dude hope he pulls through.
Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote Reply