Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 01-23-2023, 05:21 AM   #1
lamboguy

Bald eagles and cayotes in boston

lately, I have been seeing a few bald eagles hanging out in a park that i go to with my dog. last night i saw a pack of coyotes on my street.

this seems to be something new to my area, until recently i had only seen red-tailed hawks. so now i have to figure out how to dodge those 2 things because my 14-pound dog is a prime candidate for breakfast, dinner, or lunch for these things.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2023, 02:16 PM   #2
Inner Dirt

It seems coyotes have become more brazen these days. I saw a lot of them when I lived in California, in the suburbs and deserts. I strangely haven't seen one in the woods of Central Va in a dozen years. I would get some pepper spray for the coyotes, but even in a pack I think they would find you too big to mess with. I think the dog is a little big for even a bald eagle. I would keep him on a leash unless in a fenced yard. I saw a hawk once trying to get away with a jack rabbit, as much as he tried he could not get enough height
to clear the fence on the side of the highway, finally gave up and the rabbit ran off.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2023, 03:19 PM   #3
davew

The bald eagles I have seen grab their live prey and try to take them back to their nest. I have seen them grab rabbits, chickens and ducks that sometimes wiggle free in flight. They will land and munch on larger already dead animals.

Your 14 pound dog is safe from bald eagles unless he is already dead or if they are extremely hungry and desparate. I am sure there are enough rats to keep them busy.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2023, 03:36 PM   #4
Inner Dirt

Bald eagles also like fish, is there a pond or lake in that park with fish in it?
Old 01-23-2023, 03:44 PM   #5
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
The bald eagles I have seen grab their live prey and try to take them back to their nest. I have seen them grab rabbits, chickens and ducks that sometimes wiggle free in flight. They will land and munch on larger already dead animals.

Your 14 pound dog is safe from bald eagles unless he is already dead or if they are extremely hungry and desparate. I am sure there are enough rats to keep them busy.

Where do you find rats? I swear I have never seen one outside of a pet store or someone keeping them as pets. I have seen mice everywhere, one is currently living in my SUV, not sure how long he can last in there and I think he isn't the first one. I live in the woods, but I think they are in the trash bags I transport to the dump in there. My cat catches and kills a lot of them.
I have even had mice climb in my boots while I was in them while cutting firewood.
Old 01-23-2023, 03:45 PM   #6
zico20

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post

I have seen videos of bald eagles taking full grown coyotes.
Old 01-23-2023, 03:52 PM   #7
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20 View Post
I have seen videos of bald eagles taking full grown coyotes.

You sure that isn't fake? I think they can only take flight with a max of around their own weight, even the smallest full grown coyote will double the weight of a bald eagle.
Old 01-23-2023, 03:52 PM   #8
xtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Where do you find rats? I swear I have never seen one outside of a pet store or someone keeping them as pets.
You've never been to DC then.
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2023, 04:26 PM   #9
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtb View Post
You've never been to DC then.

DC is 75-80 miles north. I did the summer tourist thing for a few days hitting all the museums and a couple bars about 10 years ago, other than that I stay away. Not sure if you are talking about rodents.
Old 01-23-2023, 04:28 PM   #10
lamboguy

https://www.whiskeyriff.com/2023/01/...ss-in-montana/
Old 01-23-2023, 05:25 PM   #11
lamboguy

Old 01-23-2023, 05:53 PM   #12
plainolebill

Around here Bald Eagles kill lambs, they don't carry them off they eat them in the field.
plainolebill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2023, 06:24 PM   #13
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post

I don't know how much of that is accurate as once a source crosses the line and fakes something I don't trust anything it produces. The best example is eagle vs shark. I am sure all of us are aware what a great white shark looks like. First it shows an eagle like it is close to a great white, which even a newborn would dwarf it. Then it shows some eagles feeding off a beached shark, then an eagle carrying away a shark. I am not saying an eagle can't kill something bigger than it, but the video implies it flies away with objects that are way bigger than it, that is false.
Old 01-23-2023, 08:35 PM   #14
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I don't know how much of that is accurate as once a source crosses the line and fakes something I don't trust anything it produces. The best example is eagle vs shark. I am sure all of us are aware what a great white shark looks like. First it shows an eagle like it is close to a great white, which even a newborn would dwarf it. Then it shows some eagles feeding off a beached shark, then an eagle carrying away a shark. I am not saying an eagle can't kill something bigger than it, but the video implies it flies away with objects that are way bigger than it, that is false.
Eagles are formidable and absolutely do prey on animals larger than most of us would think.

But I agree with your point about the authors of the video crossing a line.

A little after the 17:00 mark the narrator starts talking about an eagle attacking a leopard.

Amazingly, during this segment, the video clearly shows footage of a cheetah running.

see the bottom of this post for clickable thumbnails of a cheetah running taken from the video posted above

compare to the clickable thumbnail of the leopard taken from the Cheetah gets too close to a leopard video below

There's really no mistaking the two.

Seems like the creator/producer of a nature video should know the difference.

Cheetah gets too close to a leopard:

How to tell the difference between the two:

-jp

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cheetah1.JPG (36.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Cheetah2.JPG (36.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Leopard1.JPG (43.0 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Jeff P; 01-23-2023 at 08:39 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2023, 08:51 PM   #15
Inner Dirt

Another thing I notice is they would show eagles attacking much larger prey and then flying off with similar prey that was much smaller, like looking like it was getting the better of a full sized fox then flying off with a kitten. That crap is misleading at best, I don't understand the point.