Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 12:39 AM   #1
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

David Jacobsen in action

Nice treatment of D'Tiger. First, the horse beats 16k maidens in very good time. He steps up and wins a NW2LT race with a 68k purse next out. For his next start, he is dropped suspiciously into a bad claimer and wins. However, no New York trainers would bite on the claim.

Next move, ship the horse to Parx and run him in a starter allowance where he is eased and vanned off as the HEAVY favorite.

Last edited by cj; 11-27-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:01 AM   #2
redshift1

Interesting.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/item_...qRMWiPtko1J4xL
Old 11-27-2012, 05:46 AM   #3
jk3521
Registered Loser

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshift1
What a wonderful man!
Old 11-27-2012, 08:30 AM   #4
wisconsin

The horse was eased at the eighth pole and crossed the wire under his own power. Why persevere a lost cause.

Lots of horses are vanned off and come back to run including Big Brown. Just my opinion.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #5
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin
The horse was eased at the eighth pole and crossed the wire under his own power. Why persevere a lost cause.

Lots of horses are vanned off and come back to run including Big Brown. Just my opinion.
Yeah, I'm sure I'm just jaded and the horse is probably in perfect health. Forget the obvious signs in the PPs and the ugly history of the trainer. These kinds of episodes are just what a struggling sport needs!
Old 11-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #6
pandy

Dropping horses in class who have soundness problems is done by every claiming trainer in the business. Many trainers have admitted in interviews that they dropped a horse because they wanted to lose the horse because the horse was unsound.

Years ago when Jacobsen was suspended I covered the story for Sports Eye and I went to the court and read over all of the documents including all of the testimony in the trial against him (over the horse with laminitis). I didn't give my opinion in the article but after all these years I can say that in my opinion the whole thing came off as a witch hunt and some of the characters who testified against him were not what you would call the classiest people on the backstretch. NYRA hated Buddy Jacobsen because he tried to unionize the backstretch workers and the fact that David was his son may have had something to do with the case. It was an interesting case and certainly controversial.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
John

It will never change in todays racing.

Owners and Tainers will do anything they can to get the money.

Thats what it is all about -MONEY!!!
Old 11-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #8
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy
Dropping horses in class who have soundness problems is done by every claiming trainer in the business. Many trainers have admitted in interviews that they dropped a horse because they wanted to lose the horse because the horse was unsound.

Years ago when Jacobsen was suspended I covered the story for Sports Eye and I went to the court and read over all of the documents including all of the testimony in the trial against him (over the horse with laminitis). I didn't give my opinion in the article but after all these years I can say that in my opinion the whole thing came off as a witch hunt and some of the characters who testified against him were not what you would call the classiest people on the backstretch. NYRA hated Buddy Jacobsen because he tried to unionize the backstretch workers and the fact that David was his son may have had something to do with the case. It was an interesting case and certainly controversial.
Well, this isn't his first rodeo with this sort of thing even after his reinstatement. Just because something has "always been done" doesn't make it right.

Can you point me to a few of these interviews to which you speak? I don't think I've heard or seen something like that in print in at least 30 years.

Last edited by cj; 11-27-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #9
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by John
It will never change in todays racing.

Owners and Tainers will do anything they can to get the money.

Thats what it is all about -MONEY!!!

Yes. Money is important.

But to paint all owners and all trainers with that black brush is just plain wrong.

In fact, I would say most owners and most trainers care more about their charges than this whole thread is implying.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #10
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
In fact, I would say most owners and most trainers care more about their charges than this whole thread is implying.
I agree, which is why I think those whose actions make it appear that they don't care should be pointed out.

Last edited by cj; 11-27-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #11
Linny

It appeared on paper as if Jacobson was trying to protect the horse from a claim. In NY he'd have had to face far tougher had he run in non-claiming spots and the starters just don't come up often. He won a $15k claimer and returned in a $16k starter, that's not exactly the same as winner a NW3x and coming back for a $10K tag.

That said, you'll rarely find me defending this guy.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #12
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linny
It appeared on paper as if Jacobson was trying to protect the horse from a claim. In NY he'd have had to face far tougher had he run in non-claiming spots and the starters just don't come up often. He won a $15k claimer and returned in a $16k starter, that's not exactly the same as winner a NW3x and coming back for a $10K tag.

That said, you'll rarely find me defending this guy.
Yes, he ran in a starter. But the previous race was an obvious attempt at a dump where nobody bit.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:55 PM   #13
pandy

CJ, this thread should actually be deleted since the race in question was not even a claiming race. C'mon man.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #14
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy
CJ, this thread should actually be deleted since the race in question was not even a claiming race. C'mon man.
The prior race was a claiming race after a very nice allowance win. Once he couldn't dump the horse, it sure looks like he just tried to milk him for an extra buck to me, tag or no tage.

I guess this means you don't have any interviews to cite where trainers admitted to trying to dump unsound horses.

Last edited by cj; 11-27-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:29 PM   #15
wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
The prior race was a claiming race after a very nice allowance win. Once he couldn't dump the horse, it sure looks like he just tried to milk him for an extra buck to me, tag or no tage.

I guess this means you don't have any interviews to cite where trainers admitted to trying to dump unsound horses.

You don't think this is very common? Unsound horses can and often win in cheap spots.