Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-31-2012, 09:40 AM   #16
classhandicapper

We'll learn a lot more if he runs again or comes up with another issue that forces his retirement in a couple of weeks.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:40 AM   #17
MaTH716

I believe it. It explains to me why the anchor came out at the 3/8 pole for what seemed like no reason. While I didn't like him Sunday (actually didn't even bet the race), this might set up a decent betting opportunity depending on where he races next. That is, if he should hit the track again. For those of you who don't believe the story, he's an easy bet against next time he's running.
MaTH716 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2012, 12:27 PM   #18
Linny

When horses used to "blow out" a few furlongs a day or two before a race, a respitratory issue could be caught. TAP breezes his stakes horses 7 days before a race. Then they might walk for 2 days then jog or gallop a couple. The light work between the final breeze and the race isn't enough to bring evidence of impending issues to light. Respiratory issues usually take a few days to come on and the stress of the race on the lungs speeds the process. The analogy would be if a human misses going to the gym for a week during which he's fighting a cold. He goes and begins his his usually workout and gets halfway through and just cannot meet the demand.

By all accounts, Gemologist was working well at Saratoga. A couple of Todd's horses have run inexplicably bad in the last week. It's possible that he has some sort of "thing" going around his barn.
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2012, 12:39 PM   #19
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Well thank you very much sir for clearing that up....
i wasn't trying to associate one with the other except for their running styles which i happen to like because they will produce more winners than other types of styles.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2012, 12:42 PM   #20
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linny
When horses used to "blow out" a few furlongs a day or two before a race, a respitratory issue could be caught. TAP breezes his stakes horses 7 days before a race. Then they might walk for 2 days then jog or gallop a couple. The light work between the final breeze and the race isn't enough to bring evidence of impending issues to light. Respiratory issues usually take a few days to come on and the stress of the race on the lungs speeds the process. The analogy would be if a human misses going to the gym for a week during which he's fighting a cold. He goes and begins his his usually workout and gets halfway through and just cannot meet the demand.

By all accounts, Gemologist was working well at Saratoga. A couple of Todd's horses have run inexplicably bad in the last week. It's possible that he has some sort of "thing" going around his barn.
he's not going to run a horse that he thinks will run bad ahead of time, but usually his horses work great. when they breeze halfs they always go faster on the second quarter. i know thats good because the horses i have are all fast but they do it backwards and i know ahead of time i am not going to get results.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:15 PM   #21
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716
I believe it. It explains to me why the anchor came out at the 3/8 pole for what seemed like no reason. While I didn't like him Sunday (actually didn't even bet the race), this might set up a decent betting opportunity depending on where he races next. That is, if he should hit the track again. For those of you who don't believe the story, he's an easy bet against next time he's running.
that horse usually comes from a little off the pace, he looked very uncomfortable on the front end in the Haskell. that is the third horse that i have seen from Pletcher change running styles this year. one of them won in a small 2 yo stake race in Belmont. he had to go for the lead in that race, if he didn't Cay To Pomeroy would have run away with the race. it worked that day.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:19 PM   #22
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
that horse usually comes from a little off the pace, he looked very uncomfortable on the front end in the Haskell. that is the third horse that i have seen from Pletcher change running styles this year. one of them won in a small 2 yo stake race in Belmont. he had to go for the lead in that race, if he didn't Cay To Pomeroy would have run away with the race. it worked that day.
If Gemologist isn't forced 4 wide on the first turn in the Wood, doesn't he go wire to wire? How do you figure his running style changed? He just didn't show up at all at CD. I'd completely toss that race. Between Paynter coming out of a 1 1/2 mile race with a slow pace and Gemologist, Gemologist looked like he'd have the lead after 2 or 4 furlongs.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2012, 01:22 PM   #23
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
If Gemologist isn't forced 4 wide on the first turn in the Wood, doesn't he go wire to wire? How do you figure his running style changed? He just didn't show up at all at CD. I'd completely toss that race. Between Paynter coming out of a 1 1/2 mile race with a slow pace and Gemologist, Gemologist looked like he'd have the lead after 2 or 4 furlongs.
that's the way i saw the race, especially with Monmouth playing to closers all meet. i was almost postitive he was going to be sitting behind Paynter, but he wound up breaking poorly and rushed up and Gemologyst was toast.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:23 PM   #24
Valuist

I just heard Paynter has a slight temperature. Maybe he caught something battling with Gemologist.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2012, 01:35 PM   #25
Beachbabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dony55
wish i would have known i woulditn have blew money on the horse. Pletcher has been seriously cold lately im staying away from him.
You stay away at your own risk. He's at 16% for the meet so far. Not exactly his usual figure but not too shabby. He sent out two horses yesterday and had a winner & a third.
The winner, TOP TIER LASS, won by 7 lengths, running 5 1/2 fur on the turf in 1:03.1. I guess people are "staying away", 'cause the horse paid $14.80 for the win.
Beachbabe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2012, 01:43 PM   #26
Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
I just heard Paynter has a slight temperature. Maybe he caught something battling with Gemologist.
He was supposed to fly to Saratoga and might miss the Travers now.
Striker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2012, 01:47 PM   #27
MaTH716

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker
He was supposed to fly to Saratoga and might miss the Travers now.
Apparently he was supposed to fly back to Cali to prepare for the Travers. But now he is going to van straight to Saratoga.
MaTH716 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2012, 03:55 PM   #28
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
pletcher horses have a certain style of running when he is winning, they haven't been running that way lately. his horses usually have a re-break to them sort of the same running style as the midwest thoroughbred horses. his horses haven't had that extra gear lately and have been going to front and backing up when another horse comes at them. it has been very uncharacteristic of his horses.
Kind of like the old Michael Phelps.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #29
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
i wasn't trying to associate one with the other except for their running styles which i happen to like because they will produce more winners than other types of styles.
Few of us here were born yesterday, and I think we all know what you are implying when you use the term "re-break"

Not to mention Midwest T-bred Corp....

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 08-01-2012 at 09:47 AM.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #30
mannyberrios
easygoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Kid goes to school fine in the morning and comes home sick as a dog in the afternoon.

Ever happen? Yea or Neigh?
NO! I have gone to school sick, and when I left, I was fine
mannyberrios is offline   Reply With Quote Reply