Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-14-2012, 01:46 PM   #46
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

I think getting away from dollar earnings is a step forward. Does the new system need further examination? Yes.

Will this system attract new interest in the TC and racing in general? That will depend on the marketing end. If these races are marketed well and at least some of them are televised, on the major networks, I think there is a decent chance that new interest will result.

One of the points I think has validity is that the public will know well before the Derby which horses are likely to be entered and they can begin following particular horses earlier in the process, which could cause some of them to actually get more involved in racing, in general, and the TC specifically.

Like most dramatic changes that occur in almost anything, the initial response is more negative than positive, and usually by those who want things to go on like it always has.

Earnings were just not a good qualifier for the Derby, if you're going to have a qualifying system, then at least make it more viable than just earnings. One or two decent sized purses can put an inferior horse in the Derby, or one that has never run on the dirt, or at a distance over 6-7 furlongs.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America

Last edited by raybo; 06-14-2012 at 01:50 PM.
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2012, 01:47 PM   #47
Linny

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
Anybody figure out how big this years field would have been under this new plan?

If it cuts the field size, i am for it......

I think the larger point is that other tracks and interests had way too much control over the KY Derby starters.

It won't cut the field size. It's the top 20 point getters. How do they break ties? Using $$$, ties were pretty rare.

This year's field would have lost Liaison and Rousing Sermon and Trinniberg and gained My Adonis and 2 other non entities.

I will be curious to see how (if at all) this impacts the management of 2yo's at Saratoga and Del Mar. Will the Hopeful and DM Futurity no longer be target races. Obviously the Champagne and the Norfolk already are important but will we see fewer babies in the first 3 weeks of those meets, both known for highlighting the future classic stars? Will races like the Hopeful and DM Futurity be relegated to the status "the final big races of the first half, designed for the horses with no future beyond a mile?" The very names "Hopeful" and "Futurity" signify the idea that the winners of these races are bound for greater glories.

Last edited by Linny; 06-14-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #48
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Reducing the field doesn't seem to be part of the plan. Twenty will generate more handle than 14.

As for those "other tracks and interests," what is so bad about them trying to make their Big Day as big and as important as it can possibly be? Those can make or break a season, and are at least as important to the overall health of the nation's racing as some ginned up point system. For some guys in Louisville to be able to say to any track "Have a good life....now get the f*** outta here" is repulsive, to say the least.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2012, 01:56 PM   #49
FenceBored

Quote:
Chip Wooley and MTB were probably thought of often when they made this decision. Think about it.
The Canadian 2yo Champion isn't good enough for them? I thought they wanted international interest.
FenceBored is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #50
MaTH716

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goren
It is, if you are try attract a good horse to your track to draw fans. This is nationwide sport and anything that does promote in that way hurts the sport. This gains nothing. So a forth place finisher in the Wood get shut out of the Derby by the Illinois derby winner. Who cares out side of that horse's connections. By shutting out the Illinois derby winner you are losing fans who watched that race. Contrary to what you may think, there are racing fans out there who are not from NY,FL,or CA. So what some second tier derby contender leaves NY,FL, or CA to run at DED in order to get into Derby. It gives those fans a rooting interest in the Derby. It draws fans to that track and doesn't hurt the fan base in NY,FL or CA. This rule is just another example of the elitism of the major racing centers trying stop a lesser track in one of it most successful promotions because it somehow upsets their sensibilities. There are a lot of things broke in racing, but the way horses get into the derby wasn't one of them.
When you say fans, do you mean bettors/players or do you mean people from Illinois (or around the country) that happened to see the race?

I do agree that there is nothing wrong with the current system. But this plan does two things, It hurts Hawthorne (CDI's competitor) and it takes some of the onus off the whole lasix debacle going on.
MaTH716 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #51
Not4Love
not4love

?????

So what horse did they miss in the last 100 years that probably should have been allowed to run in the Derby? This is stupid.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:45 PM   #52
HuggingTheRail
BC Canada

The only error - they should have made the Derby Trial worth 500 points
HuggingTheRail is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2012, 02:46 PM   #53
5k-claim
Working on 'Plan B'

I probably shouldn't bring this up, but couldn't CDI also set aside a slot for a "People's Choice" candidate and encourage voting on the CDI website and smartphone apps? They could even tie it into betting at TwinSpires by saying, "Bet $2,000 this month and your vote counts twice!"

Could that generate more revenue for TwinSpires?

I mean, once you (CDI suits) go out on your own and completely arbitrary the possibilities are endless, really.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:47 PM   #54
MaTH716

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5k-claim
I probably shouldn't bring this up, but couldn't CDI also set aside a slot for a "People's Choice" candidate and encourage voting on the CDI website and smartphone apps? They could even tie it into betting at TwinSpires by saying, "Bet $2,000 this month and your vote counts twice!"

Could that generate more revenue for TwinSpires?

I mean, once you (CDI suits) go out on your own and completely arbitrary the possibilities are endless, really.

Yeah, but would they let Zenyatta run against a bunch of 3 year olds.........
Old 06-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #55
FenceBored

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716
Yeah, but would they let Zenyatta run against a bunch of 3 year olds.........
She's young at heart.
FenceBored is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2012, 03:24 PM   #56
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Anybody figure out how big this years field would have been under this new plan?

If it cuts the field size, i am for it......

I think the larger point is that other tracks and interests had way too much control over the KY Derby starters.
It will increase the field size.
They will now start 21 horses in the Derby.
#+ will start on the rail, behind the horse, like in harness racing.
It will always be a Baffert horse, though, since his horses have a habit of finding trouble down inside every year.

My question, though, is how do they decide who gets into those few races? there will be a lot of horses trying to run in a very few races......best horse(s) might never make the Derby.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #57
iceknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenceBored
She's young at heart.
Has she begun training after childbirth?
Old 06-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #58
MaTH716

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceknight
Has she begun training after childbirth?
Old 06-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #59
letswastemoney

Why do they count synthetic races if they ignore turf races?
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2012, 03:53 PM   #60
elhelmete

I always liked the idea of using graded $, but capping it at a certain level for each grade so that the effect of super-purses was blunted. An owner could run at DED but only, say the first $500,000 of that purse would count toward eligibility.

I think 2yo sprint races should be included. JMHO.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply