Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

View Poll Results: Where do you think Arrogate should race next?
Breeders’ Cup Classic 26 48.15%
Jockey Club Gold Cup 8 14.81%
Woodward 5 9.26%
Awesome Again 3 5.56%
Pegasus 1 1.85%
Santa Anita Handicap (in the spring) 0 0%
Other 1 1.85%
Retire him 10 18.52%
Voters: 54. This poll is closed

Old 08-24-2017, 03:11 PM   #46
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard View Post
Best way to enter the breeding shed is to win the triple crown and follow that up with a BCC win. AP may have been priced high but they knew the buzz would die down and they'd have to lower the price the next year.

As his 2-yr-old babies hit the track next year, the buyers will have a better idea of what exactly they are getting. It's all about performance from here on out.

You brought up good points about Arrogate's UBS pedigree, I had forgotten about that. If he retires with three straight losses, and no triple crown wins on his resume, with that pedigree, I don't see him getting six figures, to start anyway.

The San Diego loss looks like hell. No wonder Baffert is kicking himself for racing him there.
AP definitely went to the shed hot, but even Coolmore miscalculated what a TC winner translated to in a stud fee. That 2 for 1 deal was offered during the first season. $200k is just too much for any horse starting out. They tried that amount with Ghostzapper too and immediately had to make deals. I really think about $125k is tops these days and had they started AP at that, then they'd have had no problems filling the book at that price.

I'm pretty sure that we're just now seeing AP's weanlings this year, so next year will be interesting to see how they look and sell as yearlings.

My guess for Arrogate's fee was $100k when he looked like "all that and then some" but my guess today would be $60k-$75k. What do you think he may start at if he retired tomorrow?

Last edited by Fager Fan; 08-24-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2017, 05:44 PM   #47
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

BC Classic.

After last year's Travers/Classic finish, this year was all about Pegasus, Dubai, and Classic again.

He has zero Triple Crown wins, but would do something that would be incredibly tough to equal, much less surpass.

Would make him a $20 Million on the track earnings horse.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2017, 08:19 AM   #48
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
AP definitely went to the shed hot, but even Coolmore miscalculated what a TC winner translated to in a stud fee. That 2 for 1 deal was offered during the first season. $200k is just too much for any horse starting out. They tried that amount with Ghostzapper too and immediately had to make deals. I really think about $125k is tops these days and had they started AP at that, then they'd have had no problems filling the book at that price.

I'm pretty sure that we're just now seeing AP's weanlings this year, so next year will be interesting to see how they look and sell as yearlings.

My guess for Arrogate's fee was $100k when he looked like "all that and then some" but my guess today would be $60k-$75k. What do you think he may start at if he retired tomorrow?
Who do you like in the Travers? We've all seen your brilliance AFTER a race but I can't ever remember a pre race opinion.

Wonder why that is.

Wouldn't want to lose your internet cred?
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2017, 07:59 PM   #49
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698 View Post
Who do you like in the Travers? We've all seen your brilliance AFTER a race but I can't ever remember a pre race opinion.

Wonder why that is.

Wouldn't want to lose your internet cred?
I like Good Samaritan personally, and I am taking a stand against the West Coast horse (who is named, conveniently enough, West Coast). I don't think the Baffert colt is nearly as good as the horses who have been running the 3 year old races back east.

I'm making a point of posting this because you think I never praise anything on the east coast here.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-28-2017, 04:48 PM   #50
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I like Good Samaritan personally, and I am taking a stand against the West Coast horse (who is named, conveniently enough, West Coast). I don't think the Baffert colt is nearly as good as the horses who have been running the 3 year old races back east.

I'm making a point of posting this because you think I never praise anything on the east coast here.
Somebody keeps bumping this thread up. Obviously I was dead wrong about this.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-28-2017, 06:59 PM   #51
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Somebody keeps bumping this thread up. Obviously I was dead wrong about this.
It gets bumped any time somebody votes in the poll even if they don't respond otherwise.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2017, 08:36 PM   #52
Bigadam119

Just a thought, but could a rider change be in order for Arrogate? Obviously Mike is an phenomenal rider, but something isn’t working. Have Victor and Baffert made up? He seems like he would be a good fit as he definitely gets horses to use their speed well.
Bigadam119 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2017, 08:49 PM   #53
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigadam119 View Post
Just a thought, but could a rider change be in order for Arrogate? Obviously Mike is an phenomenal rider, but something isn’t working. Have Victor and Baffert made up? He seems like he would be a good fit as he definitely gets horses to use their speed well.
You are given rider's way to much credit to their overall performance.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2017, 12:25 PM   #54
Road Kill

Quote:

Would still take mares to Will Take Charge over Arrogate at that fee.
Road Kill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2017, 10:50 AM   #55
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigadam119 View Post
I think he's going to stick with Mike, although Baffert has not been shy about changing jockeys in the past.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2017, 10:53 AM   #56
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:

It's always a "feather in one's cap" to enter the breeding shed healthy. If they retired him now, after 10 races, he’d have Unbridled fragility written all over him and the top broodmares would avoid him like the plague. They’d be better off resting him and bringing him back next year. If he had another off race (2nd or 3rd) in the BCC, at least he would go into the shed healthy.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2017, 11:40 AM   #57
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard View Post
I think he's going to stick with Mike, although Baffert has not been shy about changing jockeys in the past.
I put the chances Bob would switch riders at roughly 0%.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: