Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-20-2018, 07:20 AM   #31
HHE10
BANNED

Lightbulb

I know this one isn’t thoroughbred related but at my local racetrack (grand river raceway) they have this day where they have wiener dog races and that day probably gets more people out to the track than a normal race day. It’s pretty sad to see that people like to watch a 5 second sprint of wiener dogs and not to horse racing. They parking lots and full like very full. Like when I went over it was so packed I had to park across the street. And once the race is over everyone screams to get out of there. So sad to see
HHE10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2018, 07:53 AM   #32
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobphilo View Post
Some racks actually do have mule racing with pari-mutual betting. These big eared characters are surprisingly fast and lots of fun to watch.
You haven't lived until you've been on a big mule, in thick woods, that gets spooked by the sudden appearance of a herd of wild hogs.
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2018, 08:24 AM   #33
Hambletonian

I have also never witnessed an Arabian break down. I remember hearing about a fatal incident at I believe Delaware Park and the story bing how devastated the community was since that was such a rare occurrence. Never seen a mule injured either for that matter.

I imagine more than anything it has to do with the simple fact that Arabians are more of a boutique industry. There is less incentive to rush them to the races, or medicate them to the gills and race them in less than optimal physical condition. And a full blooded Arabian has value off the track, probably more so than as a racehorse for the vast majority of them. Not too many thoroughbreds are worth more off the track than on.
Hambletonian is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2018, 08:54 AM   #34
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambletonian View Post
I have also never witnessed an Arabian break down. I remember hearing about a fatal incident at I believe Delaware Park and the story bing how devastated the community was since that was such a rare occurrence. Never seen a mule injured either for that matter.

I imagine more than anything it has to do with the simple fact that Arabians are more of a boutique industry. There is less incentive to rush them to the races, or medicate them to the gills and race them in less than optimal physical condition. And a full blooded Arabian has value off the track, probably more so than as a racehorse for the vast majority of them. Not too many thoroughbreds are worth more off the track than on.
Yes, medication, steroids and performance enhancing drugs are a big part of the problem. It's also a question of anatomy. If you get to see and compare the legs of race horses with pleasure horses or police horses close up you will see what I mean by a big locomotive running on toothpicks at high speeds. Breakdowns are going to be inevitable, unless we do what the German Jockey Club does and not let a horse stand at stud that has not raced soundly without drugs for 2 or 3 seasons. Never happen here, though. Too much money to be made from breeding fast unsound horses.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2018, 08:55 AM   #35
bello
Veteran

Irresponsible breeding has caused this problem and continues to make the thorobred more fragile.

The second item that make harness racing better is the durability of the standardbred. At yesterday Little Brown Jug races leading trainer Bob Mcintosh was interviewed and discussed how his wife turned his champion trotter into a show horse.

Harness horses can race 35-50 times a year and generally keep their form.

How many t'breds can race even 15 times a year. Very few and it is getting worse.
As an earlier poster said, horses that break down early and are bred continue to proliferate and worsen the problem.
bello is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2018, 08:59 AM   #36
bello
Veteran

Weiner dogs are not mercilessly whipped down the lane. In this day and age people are sensitive to seeing animals whipped lie they are. The industry can also institute the round about whipping style they have overseas.
bello is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2018, 09:06 AM   #37
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambletonian View Post

Another thing about Arabian racing. Arabian horses are not allowed to begin racing until they are at least 3YOs and at least close to maturity.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2018, 09:50 AM   #38
Mr.XXX

Dang, VJS!
Seems like you need a leather hide, underneath a flak jacket, while deep inside a bunker and under the effects of an elephant tranquilizer... when posting.
Even "friendly fire" seems excessive.
Mr.XXX is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2018, 09:55 AM   #39
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobphilo View Post
Even so, I bet if he had witnessed the same number of Thoroughbred as Arabian races, he would have witnessed more breakdowns and/or injuries among the Thoroughbreds. I'm sure he would say he's seen a higher % of this in T-bred races.
T-breds are much more fragile than Arabs.
I never said they weren't. All I'm saying is, lack of observable events WILL skew the thought process on this.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:09 AM   #40
jimmyb

Standardbreds are a sturdier breed, many race once a week and are on the track jogging or training daily, yet their numbers are dwindling as well.
jimmyb is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2018, 11:43 AM   #41
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
Standardbreds are a sturdier breed, many race once a week and are on the track jogging or training daily, yet their numbers are dwindling as well.
Imagine that....Both Standardbreds and Arabians are sturdy breeds, yet the hybrid result of the two, the Thoroughbred, is not....Go figure.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2018, 12:02 PM   #42
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
Imagine that....Both Standardbreds and Arabians are sturdy breeds, yet the hybrid result of the two, the Thoroughbred, is not....Go figure.
Arabs routinely win international endurance races. However, the longest U.S. endurance race (roughly 3,000 miles in 1976) was won by a mule, sired by a Thoroughbred. An Arabian was second.
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2018, 12:04 PM   #43
elhelmete

I've never seen an octopus break down.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2018, 01:03 PM   #44
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
I've never seen an octopus break down.
The ink would make it tough for the stewards to maintain their standards of excellence.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:54 PM   #45
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
Dang, VJS!
Seems like you need a leather hide, underneath a flak jacket, while deep inside a bunker and under the effects of an elephant tranquilizer... when posting.
Even "friendly fire" seems excessive.
Nothing new X

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: