Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Trading The Financial Markets

Old 09-12-2018, 06:44 AM   #16
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike View Post
This was an ill-fated boycott from the get-go, it seems to me. Many of those who burned their shoes will be buying them back, and Nike had the demographics of their customer base figured properly.
I was only going to burn my socks, but then remembered I'd need new containers for my poker stash.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:55 AM   #17
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
This was an ill-fated boycott from the get-go, it seems to me. Many of those who burned their shoes will be buying them back, and Nike had the demographics of their customer base figured properly.
The first two letters in boycott are B-O.And that also stands for Buying Opportunity.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2018, 03:45 PM   #18
FakeNameChanged

Meanwhile back to JNJ

Up $10.00 since posting this 22 days ago.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:38 AM   #19
FakeNameChanged

CBS

Not sure why CBS hasn't taken more of a hit on their CEO getting kicked out on sexual misconduct charges. This is the guy whom Howard Stern just loved during his time at Viacom. VIAcom who's a sister company of CBS has had a rougher time lately than CBS. Will have to watch CBS to see if it fits my contrarian M.O.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:40 PM   #20
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
You're welcome - I took some off the table and traded into something even more speculative. Playing with house money now. Glad I could help; Tandem and Dexcom are sister companies and seem to be relentlessly moving higher.
Good grief Mike, this call of yours is up 99% since I got it. You should be running a website for these calls.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:43 PM   #21
Ocala Mike

They say stocks don't go straight up to the sky - TNDM the outlier. I had other big winners recently, but just like with the horses, I'm a poor money manager. Thinking AMD and ETSY as a couple I bought (and sold) much cheaper.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2018, 08:08 PM   #22
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
They say stocks don't go straight up to the sky - TNDM the outlier. I had other big winners recently, but just like with the horses, I'm a poor money manager. Thinking AMD and ETSY as a couple I bought (and sold) much cheaper.
Well I'm a realist, doing this a long time. Full disclosure, was a Registered Investment Advisor for a few years, and worked in NYC for awhile. My best picks like Green Mountain Coffee, now kdp shot up 50 bucks over night a few days after I bought it. Pure luck. I've had some nice hits with my contrarian ideas over the years. I remember when Phillip Morris was on the ropes with billions in tobacco lawsuits, but had a cash horde and money printing business. I had difficulty persuading clients to get on board with the price somewhere in the high teens and a 6% dividend. I bought myself and within a year or maybe two it was at 54. That convinced me that this is a business wrapped up in emotions rather than good logic. I have my own AMD story and it's not too rosy. Keep posting your ideas, still learning from others. Not much different than playing horses in that respect.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:31 PM   #23
FakeNameChanged

BAC, CGNX, MDXG, & WBA

I've received no less than five emails from Seeking Alpha and Money & Markets today alone touting this bank. I don't understand why BAC has always been so widely covered and touted over the years, except that institutions all have them in their portfolios. They've had a two year run-up, but look like they're in for a correction to my eyes. I will avoid going in either direction with this stock that trades 50 MM shares on a typical day.

Two other companies I'm following as momentum plays are Cognex and MDXG.
Walgreens (WBA) is one I'm considering, again for momentum, not contrarian plays.

Meanwhile JNJ and NKE keep chugging along both making nice gains, contrarian has now shifted to momentum.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:34 PM   #24
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosonfirst View Post
I've received no less than five emails from Seeking Alpha and Money & Markets today alone touting this bank. I don't understand why BAC has always been so widely covered and touted over the years, except that institutions all have them in their portfolios. They've had a two year run-up, but look like they're in for a correction to my eyes. I will avoid going in either direction with this stock that trades 50 MM shares on a typical day.

Two other companies I'm following as momentum plays are Cognex and MDXG.
Walgreens (WBA) is one I'm considering, again for momentum, not contrarian plays.

Meanwhile JNJ and NKE keep chugging along both making nice gains, contrarian has now shifted to momentum.
It's starting to feel like 2000 all over again. Just dumped my MDXG, was up 44.5% in a few days. Everything going up like rockets is making me nervous. Took my profits in JNJ also, was up 13 straight days. Lightened up my QQQ's also.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:34 AM   #25
FakeNameChanged

Facebook facing $1.6 Billion fine

FB may fit into one of my contrarian plays since it's still the big boy in this sector. Like some other recent contrarian plays, the effect of this possible fine for a data breach may already be priced in. JNJ only dropped slightly after their talc lawsuits, so the same might happen to FB as well. At any rate it will remain on my watch list. We've owned this previously in my wife's IRA, and it was by far her biggest gain over the last two years. I regretted not putting it into mine.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:00 PM   #26
Ocala Mike

TNDM hit the skids in a big way, too. I got out with a nice profit, but missed the $50 something high by a lot.

Now I'm fooling around with a speculative biotech, NVAX, with flu season approaching.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:23 AM   #27
FakeNameChanged

Contrarian Investing-Facebook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosonfirst View Post
FB may fit into one of my contrarian plays since it's still the big boy in this sector. Like some other recent contrarian plays, the effect of this possible fine for a data breach may already be priced in. JNJ only dropped slightly after their talc lawsuits, so the same might happen to FB as well. At any rate it will remain on my watch list. We've owned this previously in my wife's IRA, and it was by far her biggest gain over the last two years. I regretted not putting it into mine.
Looking at a possible bottom on FB? Closed over the 8 day EMA yesterday for first time in about 3 weeks. MACD is hinting at going positive. Will wait for confirmation. Just wanted to add that FB is a cash generating machine who converts roughly 32% of it's massive revenue into cash.

Last edited by FakeNameChanged; 10-17-2018 at 07:31 AM.
FakeNameChanged is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-17-2018, 01:21 PM   #28
Ocala Mike

You got out of JNJ too early, and I got out of TNDM too late. Maybe we should both get back in for the long term.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:46 PM   #29
Ocala Mike

Just saw where JNJ is dropping out of the RSV vaccine development market; could be good news for JNJ and NVAX (one less competitor).
Old 10-18-2018, 08:53 AM   #30
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
You got out of JNJ too early, and I got out of TNDM too late. Maybe we should both get back in for the long term.
Huh? I got out of JNJ on 9/21 at their high if you check the charts and my post. This was a swing trade for me, up 13 straight days, so I took profit. I don't marry stocks anymore. If fundamentals and technicals tell me it's time, I will get back in. NVAX certainly looks interesting.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: