Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 01-23-2020, 04:54 PM   #1
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Don't be afraid to go to the doctor!!!

Last week, on Wednesday, a friend of mine was taken to the ER. He'd been complaining about back pain while playing tennis for a while. But he never went in to see a doctor. Turns out he had Stage 4 colon cancer. He died on Tuesday morning. There was more going on that he kept from everyone obviously, but he was afraid to go in. He was 55.

On Tuesday, another friend flew to Colorado for a job interview. He had a massive stroke and passed away Wednesday night. He never regained consciousness. He was an assistant tennis coach for a major college team. He was 36 years old. I played with him many times, including a few weeks ago. He kept complaining that he didn't feel right and felt out of shape (while beating me of course). This was from a former division 1 athlete. He knew something wasn't right, but he didn't go get seen.

It has been a soul crushing week. If I learn anything from it, it is to go to the damn doctor when I don't feel right. I'm as stubborn as anyone when it comes to that stuff but NO MORE. If even one person reads this and takes it to heart, I'll be glad a made a rare off-topic post.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2020, 05:12 PM   #2
RunForTheRoses

Very good point, unfortunately I could add some similar stories. Sorry for your losses.

Last edited by RunForTheRoses; 01-23-2020 at 05:14 PM.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2020, 05:27 PM   #3
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Sorry for your loss, CJ, but thanks for the heads up.
Even when we do go, many of us don't bother to tell the Doctor everything going on, even if it seems minor.

46 makes a good point, you are in a partnership, and you should be open and hones with your doctor. You know what is going on with you, HE knows what it might be and how to fix it.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:33 PM   #4
OntheRail

Think I'd take up golf... seems tennis kills.

Serious now... sorry to hear about the loss of your friends.

Nobody like to hear bad news and that's what we mostly get from Doctors so we naturally try to avoid that.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:42 PM   #5
ldiatone

my wife fell several times over the past few weeks(she had a bone spur break off and pierced her spinal cord and she fell. has 2 8" rods in her back) I called 911 and fire company came out and picked her up and placed her in a seat or on the toilet. the last time she could not stand even w/ her walker. fire guys called the ambulance and she went to the ER. after x-rays doc said "you have a broken leg near the Hip". went under surgery last nite yes nite 7 pm they did the surgery. now she is better and ok she has to do PT for a couple weeks. whats interesting to note is we are moving back to Lancaste, Ca. to live w/ our daughter and Husband. they bought a 3 bedroom house and the Master is ours w/ no rent or house payment. will help w/ the house bills gas electric water cable but we do that now.
sorry for the long post
ldiat Las Vegas now but Lancaster, Ca Sunday!!!

c

and now in Lancaster, CA.
ldiatone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2020, 11:07 PM   #6
jay68802

Late last year my father kept complaining of discomfort in his rib cage. He saw the doctor several times, before a x-ray finally showed a small tumor behind one of his ribs on his lung. Ended up he had stage 4 lung cancer and passed 2 weeks later.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2020, 11:41 PM   #7
Greyfox

Good advice cj.
Sorry about your losses.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2020, 12:38 AM   #8
ElKabong

cj, sorry to hear of the loss of your friends.

Idiatone, hang in there and best wishes to your family
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2020, 12:46 AM   #9
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Wow, a lot of heavy stuff was dropped in a short period of time in this thread.

cj, very sorry to read all that. But you speak a ton of truth. Only we know what might be going wrong with our bodies...all we need to do is listen and act.

idiatone, good luck with the move and I hope your wife has a speedy and complete recovery.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:45 AM   #10
thaskalos

I spent some time with my 62 year-old first cousin this past holiday season...and he was excitedly telling me about his future plans. His house was finally paid off, his two kids were finished with college and were both actively looking for jobs...and he had money in the bank. And best of all...his recent yearly check-up had shown him to be in perfect health. With his bills under control, he told me that he was opting for early retirement...and was eager to finally "enjoy his golden years". And then he felt some chest congestion about 10 days ago...which he attributed to a common cold. Alas...a few days later the discomfort he felt made it hard for him to even get dressed...so he rushed to the hospital. The initial diagnosis was pneumonia and some fluid in the lungs...but when the fluid was drained the doctors were alarmed at the sight of blood in the fluid. Now cancer became a possibility...and further tests and a biopsy were scheduled last weekend. Horror of horrors...the test results indicated MESOTHELIOMA. He had tests done earlier today to discover the stage of the disease...and he will be told the results tomorrow. And his anticipation for a rosy future has turned into shock and terror for what now lies ahead.

Live for today, folks...because tomorrow isn't guaranteed to anyone.

Last edited by thaskalos; 01-24-2020 at 01:48 AM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2020, 02:02 AM   #11
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post

Live for today, folks...

jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2020, 05:53 AM   #12
woodtoo

Unusually sad thread here today and my prayers go out to all who have suffered recently so as CJ stated, lets all try to prevent this.

I will be making an appointment with my nurse practitioner today
(best doctor I have ever had) as I have been feeling an occasional numbness in the 3 outer toes in one foot. Normally I would just ignore this but what appears minor may not be.

Best of health to all.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:10 AM   #13
46zilzal
velocitician

MANY things are almost symptom less on their way to a death sentence and that is why REGULAR PREVENTIVE appointments are necessary in order to establish CONTINUITY are very important especially over 50 years of age.

I worked as a locum the last few years I was in practice and the office shared a secretarial staff (to cut overhead costs)...At Christmas, the GP in that office asked us all to join him for a lunch and had to report his pancreatic carcinoma which had metastasized widely. Given this man's complete lack of symptoms, you could have knocked us all over with a feather. He was dead 60 days later.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:13 AM   #14
46zilzal
velocitician

In Ontario there was a great TV commercial about colonoscopies with the background music "Bum, Bum bum."

Safe and informative we should all get them every 2 years unless there are symptoms. Even screening occult blood is a good one as well.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:38 AM   #15
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldiatone View Post
Las Vegas now but Lancaster, Ca Sunday!!!
Good luck on your move and hope you and your wife are soon feeling better and enjoying life!