Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 03-06-2021, 01:23 PM   #1
lurker

Dubai Carnival pool info question

I see that all the races at Dubai today have lots of show prices higher than place prices and the exactas and tri's look suspect as well. Does anyone know where I can get pool information for today?

Thanks
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2021, 03:27 PM   #2
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Twin spires tote board has wps pools, and I assume most online tote boards do. Here is race seven, for example. Show Pools are massively bigger than place pools. Also exacta pools are small.
https://www.twinspires.com/bet/progr...ghbred/7/pools

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2021, 07:28 PM   #3
BarchCapper

Wonder if this is due to the parts of the world (like UK/Ire) where place really is more like our show - there is only win and place betting, with this structure:

4 or fewer betting interests: win only betting

5-7 interests: place pays for 1st and 2nd

8-15 interests: place pays for 1st, 2nd, 3rd (most common, and as noted, like our 'show')

16 or more interests (handicap races): place pays for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.

I'm thinking the "place" pools might be only from North American hubs, and the "show" pools might be North American show pools + other countries' place pools.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2021, 07:49 PM   #4
green80

in the 4th #9 pays 12.60 to win and 90.40 to place?

what am I missing here?
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2021, 08:27 PM   #5
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by green80 View Post
in the 4th #9 pays 12.60 to win and 90.40 to place?

what am I missing here?
The #9 was 4th favorite in the win pool (77,227 of 588,966 dollars wagered) and 14th favorite (374 of 42,377 dollars wagered) in the place pool.

As a side note, the 3rd favorite (#1) was only 13th favorite in the place pool.

The favorite in the place pool?? The fifth favorite in the win pool.

First favorite was 3rd favorite in place pool.
Second favorite was also 2nd favorite in place pool.

The show pools were relatively equivalent to the win pools for most entrants, with just a few exceptions having significantly more to show than win.
Old 03-07-2021, 01:13 AM   #6
SG4

Absolutely bizarre pool sizes & payoffs with those Dubai races today. Dubai payouts are calculated in a way that we don't see at all in the US I think, which has led to some incredible place/show payouts before. If you can ever get a race there with a favorite worthy of bridge-jumper type money, then it's essentially printing out $ on all the other entrants in the show pool. I didn't notice this until too late (after California Chrome's prep race in Dubai) & have been waiting 5 years for a similar situation to no avail. I don't know if anyone could access those Dubai payouts from the race in question (2/25/16), but I think that would show some awesome payouts if I recall correctly.
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2021, 11:00 PM   #7
Onesome

HK was running the world pools for Dubai however it looks like it was only Win/Show, Quinella and Omni that the results align. Maybe the other pools in USA HDW's were not run through HK?

https://racing.hkjc.com/racing/overs.../20210306/S1/1
Onesome is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-08-2021, 09:17 AM   #8
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesome View Post
HK was running the world pools for Dubai however it looks like it was only Win/Show, Quinella and Omni that the results align. Maybe the other pools in USA HDW's were not run through HK?

https://racing.hkjc.com/racing/overs.../20210306/S1/1
Per Pat Cummings of Thoroughbred Idea Foundation (and all things international wagering) - that's it:

Old 03-08-2021, 03:48 PM   #9
Onesome

Can't say I'm not surprised then, however the results aren't, I remember back when Canada had separate pools for US tracks, you got some really crazy results in these shallow inefficient pools compare to the US.
Onesome is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: