Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-16-2016, 02:40 PM   #61
deathandgravity

I don’t need to tell you the prognoses for glioblastoma… , but I can tell you it is beatable. I was diagnosed with a glioblastoma, told to go home, get my affairs in order & say goodbye to my love ones.
F**K that!
Fight! Never give up, get aggressive & screw the odds! I won’t go into the details of my fight, but it was long & I still live the scars today, but I am going on 20+ grateful years of being cancer free. (granted.. my wife claims my brain is slightly fried)

My thoughts are with you & your family

Take care!
deathandgravity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2016, 04:14 PM   #62
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathandgravity
I don’t need to tell you the prognoses for glioblastoma… , but I can tell you it is beatable. I was diagnosed with a glioblastoma, told to go home, get my affairs in order & say goodbye to my love ones.
F**K that!
Fight! Never give up, get aggressive & screw the odds! I won’t go into the details of my fight, but it was long & I still live the scars today, but I am going on 20+ grateful years of being cancer free. (granted.. my wife claims my brain is slightly fried)

My thoughts are with you & your family

Take care!
Yeah, the UT Southwest 3 man neuro-surgical team told me to not even Google it, just get ready to fight, and that is exactly what I'm doing, already.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2016, 06:01 PM   #63
castaway01

Sending you positive vibes Raybo, and best wishes that you beat this thing. Someone has to cash all those superfectas and I'm expecting it to be you.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2016, 06:53 PM   #64
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Hang in there Raybo
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2016, 08:11 PM   #65
lansdale

Raybo,

Very sorry to hear about your illness and wish you and your doctors the best in the battle against it. Everyone on this site knows that you as someone with the positive attitude and mental strength needed to prevail against a tough opponent.

If it's any inspiration, I'll mention the example of a close friend, with a condition very similar to your own, who lived fifteen years beyond the diagnosis of his doctors at Memorial Sloan-Kettering. I wish the same and much more for you.

Best,

lansdale
lansdale is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2016, 09:15 PM   #66
BCOURTNEY

I have family members with glioblastoma - it can be beat, get well soon.
BCOURTNEY is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2016, 09:47 PM   #67
Track Phantom

Absolute best wishes and thoughts to your recovery!
Old 08-17-2016, 09:54 PM   #68
FrankieFigs
The 19th Hole

Fight it hard and head on Raybo!! You got this!!!
Old 08-17-2016, 10:51 PM   #69
whodoyoulike
Veteran

When I first wished that you get well, I wasn't aware just how serious your situation was. It's been a few days now and I've been able to think about it. I hope you have several people not just one who you can rely on for support. Having been on both sides, I now realize it's very important since no one individual would have the skills which you need over the next months. Also, remember to be patient and hopefully, they'll have patience with you.

Wishing you my very best.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2016, 05:29 AM   #70
fiveouttasix

Raybo, my prayers are with you and your family.
fiveouttasix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2016, 05:23 AM   #71
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

We had our radiology oncology consult Tuesday and were really impressed with the staff's obvious expertise and knowledge of my specific tumor type. Will go back on the 23rd for treatment consent processes, then prep for the 1st session of radiation and chemo. Initially we're looking at 34 treatments, Monday through Friday for about 7 consecutive weeks. The only negative I see are the transportation costs related to the daily 130 mile round trips from home to the Dallas VA facility. Lots of gas and wear and tear on our "used" vehicle. The travel itself should pose little problem (assuming the treatments aren't overly tasking physically, of course), as I drove over the road for a time back in the 90's.

Samara's and my determination and resolve to beat this thing remain xtremely high, so barring the introduction of additional, unexpected complications, we feel highly confident and in excellent spirits.

Thanks again for all of your expressions of support and , of course, your most welcome prayers!

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America

Last edited by raybo; 08-19-2016 at 05:25 AM.
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2016, 06:31 AM   #72
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo
We had our radiology oncology consult Tuesday and were really impressed with the staff's obvious expertise and knowledge of my specific tumor type. Will go back on the 23rd for treatment consent processes, then prep for the 1st session of radiation and chemo. Initially we're looking at 34 treatments, Monday through Friday for about 7 consecutive weeks. The only negative I see are the transportation costs related to the daily 130 mile round trips from home to the Dallas VA facility. Lots of gas and wear and tear on our "used" vehicle. The travel itself should pose little problem (assuming the treatments aren't overly tasking physically, of course), as I drove over the road for a time back in the 90's.

Samara's and my determination and resolve to beat this thing remain xtremely high, so barring the introduction of additional, unexpected complications, we feel highly confident and in excellent spirits.

Thanks again for all of your expressions of support and , of course, your most welcome prayers!
Raybo,

Ask the hospital if they are associated with any free or low cost housing in the area. Many hospitals have "cancer houses" for those who cannot afford hotels for seven weeks or are very far away. When my wife was sick in Charleston, SC, they had a cancer patient lodging as well as B&B's that gave a really good patient rate. Something to check out.
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2016, 07:43 AM   #73
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6
Raybo,

Ask the hospital if they are associated with any free or low cost housing in the area. Many hospitals have "cancer houses" for those who cannot afford hotels for seven weeks or are very far away. When my wife was sick in Charleston, SC, they had a cancer patient lodging as well as B&B's that gave a really good patient rate. Something to check out.

Exactly what I was thinking...
Also call some hotels, in the area, and ask for a package for the amount of time you need..
hang in there my friend..

mike
mikesal57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2016, 08:00 AM   #74
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesal57
Exactly what I was thinking...
Also call some hotels, in the area, and ask for a package for the amount of time you need..
hang in there my friend..

mike
... and don't be afraid to mention what you're there for. Many hotels will be charitable under your circumstances. Got into one hotel (Holiday Inn Express) at 50% of the going rate, and that wasn't even a long term deal. Just a couple nights at a time.

The cancer wing of the hospital I am familiar with had what they called a concierge. That person will have the list of lodging that is giving discounts and how to apply to the "cancer house" if they have one. The long treatment time (7 weeks) as well as your distance makes you a prime candidate for such a "house". Apply early for a slot.

Last edited by tucker6; 08-19-2016 at 08:14 AM.
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2016, 08:13 AM   #75
pandy

Get well soon Raybo. Our thoughts, wishes, and prayers are with you.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply