Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Pace Advantage Toga Party Part XII

Old 07-17-2011, 04:38 PM   #16
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Busy day today! Woke up early, or was that yesterday's prime rib waking me, but did crawl back into bed and slept til eight. This is unheard of. We hit the track by ten, just checking stuff out. Played with the goats and sheep in the petting zoo. Goats entertain me greatly. Their lives revolve only around eating and they will do whatever it takes to get a mouthful of that goat chow you get for 25 cents a handfull.

Two interesting things I saw. The Jim Dandy bar has been completely redone. It's going to be a much more open space now and will allow many more people inside. Had some reservations initially, but it does look good. Also, the local ABC affiliate has a tent up, so maybe they will be doing a lot of broadcasting. Didn't stay long and saw none of the races, but the place looks good. Got a picture to post as soon as I can get it on something I can that connect with the web. It's something few have seen....

We then went to the Wilton Mall to get remaining odds and ends. Picked up a French grammar, dictionary and exercise book. Have to learn French if I am to go on in Classics. Much academic work is written in French. Even Napoleon wrote a commentary on Caesar which is supposed to be quite good, for just one older example. Got to brush up on my German as well for the same reason. Also grabbed an HDMI cable so we can watch DVDs. We have a nice tv here, but cable not hooked up yet. We got that Pillars of the Earth miniseries that was just on Showtime that we both wanted to see, but never managed to catch. Also got a USB cable to charge my Blackberry, but despie looking carefully, I still grabbed the wrong one. Go back tomorrow and exchange. Have to go that way anyway as tomorrow is Harry Potter day.

After all this, we walked over to the Parting Glass for some pub grub and to watch a bit of the Yanks game. I had a sandwich called the Rasher, ham, Irish bacon, Swiss cheese and a light mustard sauce on egg batter fried bread. Probably about 8000 calories but really tasty. I find that bar a little annoying when crowded and the constant "Irish" music gives me a headache but it was pretty quiet in there today, so it was all good, at least until we noticed the picture of the bugler on the wall.....

Going to relax a bit. Done a good share of walking today and we'll be hitting the gym tomorrow. But for now the body is feeling really good.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:07 PM   #17
Shemp Howard
Refugee from Bowie

What's up, if anything, with Siro's this season?
Old 07-17-2011, 06:10 PM   #18
sonnyp

ciro's, home of the $38 martini !!! (exaggerated, but close)
Old 07-17-2011, 07:19 PM   #19
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shemp Howard
What's up, if anything, with Siro's this season?
Well, drove by it today. Still there and still looks the same. They had at least the back yard open today and had something going on there. Expect it will open as usual Friday.

Went to the Museum opening of the backstretch photo exhibition. Many of the photos were quite good. Catering by Longfellows, so they had some tasty bites. Had a slice of a cheese quesadilla and a taste of an onion dip. We didn't stay too long, but the wife did find the last Breyer Zenyatta so we had to get that.

Managed to figure out how to plat DVD through the laptop onto the tv so tonight's entertainment is set. God knows I need no more food.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:10 AM   #20
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

At the track this morning and it is pouring. Better today than Friday. Work is going on everywhere. All the jockey statues they paint with the colors of the winners at the Nelson Ave gate ate still awaiting installation. At least it might not be all hot and muggy as it felt this morning.

Did make it to the gym this morning. New management from last year, but looks to have had a few upgrades. Knew better than to hit it too hard this morning like I did the first day last year. Tomorrow will likely hurt and Wednesday probably will be painful, but by next weekend should be ok.

Off to the Mall in a bit. My first movie review later!
Old 07-18-2011, 10:57 AM   #21
KingChas
2 outta 3 aint bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
At the track this morning and it is pouring. Better today than Friday.
Calling for triple digit temp Friday.
Any rumblings of possible cancellation?
Old 07-18-2011, 12:00 PM   #22
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingChas
No, more like mid nineties with possibiliy of storms, but cooling over the weekend.

Cancelling a major race day is a lot different than a random Thursday. Besides it has been very warm up here already, so horses should be acclimated by now whereas they weren't at Belmont
Old 07-18-2011, 01:00 PM   #23
lefthandlow

OTM AL help if u can

OTM al
Is there any results for the jump races
YESTERDAY at the SPA.I Can't find them anywhere.
I need only the winners name or post #
anyone else know?

thanks

LL

Last edited by lefthandlow; 07-18-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:54 PM   #24
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Is this correct? It's from the Glens Falls Post Star, not the most reliable source for racing news.

"Sunday’s event also highlighted the steeplechase, on which NYRA is putting a larger emphasis this year at Saratoga."

Read more: http://poststar.com/news/local/open-...#ixzz1STqzjkJ3
Old 07-19-2011, 01:17 AM   #25
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthandlow
OTM al
Is there any results for the jump races
YESTERDAY at the SPA.I Can't find them anywhere.
I need only the winners name or post #
anyone else know?

thanks

LL
A little thinking on the situation said National Steeplechase Association and sure enough

http://www.nationalsteeplechase.com/...open_house.pdf

There is an increase in the jump races this year. Nine total are to be run, with one or two held on alternating Thursdays. Still should be nine flat races each of those days though from what I've seen, but won't swear to it.

Today, or yesterday now, was another relaxing day. Enjoyed Harry Potter. Action packed and tied the story together well. Get to see so many of the characters from previous films. Neville may have stolen the show though at long last. If you've seen the other films, it's a must and won't disappoint. If you haven't, then where have you been the last ten years?

Had a bite at Irish Times, a pub near the park. The menu is standard faux Irish for the most part with the stuff that comes closer to the real thing being a bit to heavy for the warm weather, but we found a couple interesting things to try. The wife had what is called the boxty or something close to that. Had chicken wrapped in a potato pancake with curry sauce. Had an interesting zing to it. I had leek and potato soup, which was really tasty as it had a little curry in it as well, and the Irish Times spring rolls, which are essentially egg rolls made with corned beef rather than the traditional shrimp or pork. A little different. It was a nice place. Not fine dining by any means but another decent pub grubbery.

Got to head back later today. Been very relaxing these last couple days, but the craziness begins soon.....
Old 07-20-2011, 10:07 AM   #26
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

At work today. Enough said.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:26 PM   #27
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Sad news to report. Our favorite lead pony Brian passed away over the winter due to colic. Brian was a big fat beast who never turned down a mint or apple, and was that a mess watching him eat an apple. He was all business though looking after his charges and never seemed to have any problem keeping up with them. He worked for Merrill Scherer and while in Sartoga lived right acorss from the Nelson Ave entrance. I'm sure we will make new friends in the equine community over time, but we will miss Brian.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #28
ShenanigansGirl

Re: Brian

I was headed over this morning to give him a peppermint and an apple, and found out he died. Molly didn't want to tell me yesterday because it has been so hectic trying to get set up.

Sometimes Brian was the only friendly face I saw up here on the bad, hectic days. I miss him.

Thanks for writing this, Al. He deserves a little tribute for being such a good horse.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:14 PM   #29
pktruckdriver
Sunny Daytona Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingChas
Here is todays, 5 day report

http://www.weather.com/weather/5-day/12866US

I think hot and muggy but okay for racing,, my opinion.

Welcome to town all, I will be at the track everyday but working in the backstretch, where I will enjoying every minute back there, and finally get to say that I experienced Saratoga from the inside out. I knew things would work out fine. And I get paid too, finally a meet where I end up ahead, lol.

sad news indeed about Brian

patrick
Old 07-20-2011, 03:28 PM   #30
lefthandlow

results

OTM AL

Thanks for the results site
much appreciated!!
LL