Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 07:11 AM   #7561
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
Can you cite any archeological evidence that early man was cannibalistic?
See Vig's post. It appears he gave some extra-biblical evidence.

Furthermore, I wasn't talking "early man" per se -- But about the Jews and what they did in religious rituals, although the Jews just emulated the practices of all the heathens in the ANE.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:06 PM   #7562
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
See Vig's post. It appears he gave some extra-biblical evidence.
But no evidence of "cannibalism", which is what I asked about. I don't dispute that early man practiced human sacrifice and other cruelties but widespread cannibalism does not appear to be one of them.

There are very few authenticated incidents of cannibalism and those few involve desperate circumstances.
  • A plane crashed in the Andes and the survivors ate the flesh of those killed in the crash.
  • The population of Easter Island outgrew the resources of the island and the islanders resorted to cannibalism.
  • In an incident that inspired the novel Moby Dick A ship was attacked and sunk by a whale. Survivors in a longboat drew lots to decide who would be killed and eaten.

Quote:
Furthermore, I wasn't talking "early man" per se -- But about the Jews and what they did in religious rituals, although the Jews just emulated the practices of all the heathens in the ANE.
So antediluvian man was not "early man"?
Old 08-08-2018, 03:45 PM   #7563
boxcar

Quote:
But no evidence of "cannibalism", which is what I asked about. I don't dispute that early man practiced human sacrifice and other cruelties but widespread cannibalism does not appear to be one of them.

There are very few authenticated incidents of cannibalism and those few involve desperate circumstances.
  • A plane crashed in the Andes and the survivors ate the flesh of those killed in the crash.
  • The population of Easter Island outgrew the resources of the island and the islanders resorted to cannibalism.
  • In an incident that inspired the novel Moby Dick A ship was attacked and sunk by a whale. Survivors in a longboat drew lots to decide who would be killed and eaten.

So antediluvian man was not "early man"?
Man...you guys really need to learn how to read! I wasn't talking about the practice of cannibalism per se either. I was talking about ritualistic sacrifices of children in fire to pagan [demonic] gods, which afterward would have been very likely consumed by the people offering up the sacrifices. Human consumption of animal sacrifices, after they were burned in fire, was a typical practice in the ANE, so it's very likely the human sacrifices were also consumed afterward by other humans.

However, ancient Jews did practice cannibalism when their fortified cities were under attack by either the Assyrians in the northern kingdom of Israel or later by the Babylonians when they attacked the southern kingdom of Judah, and the folks behind the walls ran out of food. In that case, the people would resort to eating their young (and sometimes vice versa!). See Jer 19:9; Ezek 5:10; Lev 26:29.

Also, regarding antediluvian man, I said that the ancient Jews MAY have emulated their ancestors. Our wanna-be scholar, Mr. Light, seems to think that the people of Noah's day were little angels by how well they treated their kids compared to how awful Trump allegedly treats illegal immigrant kids ; yet scripture teaches that those ancient people were very violent, hence my remarks about the possibility that they could have sacrificed their little kiddies to demon gods and ate them, was to counter Light's naivete. And there is far better chance that my speculation is accurate since Genesis 6 alludes to the problem of demonic forces.

Got all that now?

Last edited by boxcar; 08-08-2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:23 PM   #7564
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Man...you guys really need to learn how to read! I wasn't talking about the practice of cannibalism per se either. I was talking about ritualistic sacrifices of children in fire to pagan [demonic] gods, which afterward would have been very likely consumed by the people offering up the sacrifices. Human consumption of animal sacrifices, after they were burned in fire, was a typical practice in the ANE, so it's very likely the human sacrifices were also consumed afterward by other humans.

However, ancient Jews did practice cannibalism when their fortified cities were under attack by either the Assyrians in the northern kingdom of Israel or later by the Babylonians when they attacked the southern kingdom of Judah, and the folks behind the walls ran out of food. In that case, the people would resort to eating their young (and sometimes vice versa!). See Jer 19:9; Ezek 5:10; Lev 26:29.

Also, regarding antediluvian man, I said that the ancient Jews MAY have emulated their ancestors. Our wanna-be scholar, Mr. Light, seems to think that the people of Noah's day were little angels by how well they treated their kids compared to how awful Trump allegedly treats illegal immigrant kids ; yet scripture teaches that those ancient people were very violent, hence my remarks about the possibility that they could have sacrificed their little kiddies to demon gods and ate them, was to counter Light's naivete. And there is far better chance that my speculation is accurate since Genesis 6 alludes to the problem of demonic forces.

Got all that now?
You need to learn how to think.

The flood never happened. There was a flood in the Tigris - Euphrates river valley on the order of the Mississippi flood of 1993 but not a global flood.

There's a reason the flood story is world wide. All great civilizations have arisen in large river valleys: the Tigris - Euphrates in Mesopotamia, the Yang Tse in China, the Rhine in Europe, the Nile in Africa, the Amazon in South America, and the Mississippi in North America. All of these flood every few years and every few centuries they flood massively. That's why the flood myth is global, because massive flooding is global and repetitive, not because of a single incident.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:01 PM   #7565
boxcar

Quote:
You need to learn how to think.

The flood never happened. There was a flood in the Tigris - Euphrates river valley on the order of the Mississippi flood of 1993 but not a global flood.

There's a reason the flood story is world wide. All great civilizations have arisen in large river valleys: the Tigris - Euphrates in Mesopotamia, the Yang Tse in China, the Rhine in Europe, the Nile in Africa, the Amazon in South America, and the Mississippi in North America. All of these flood every few years and every few centuries they flood massively. That's why the flood myth is global, because massive flooding is global and repetitive, not because of a single incident.
And you need to build a dam to keep out all the rabbit holes that continually flood your mind.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:10 PM   #7566
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Do you have a link for that, Vig? Interesting quote.
Sanchuniathon of Berytus

Chapter X, toward the bottom of the document....https://phoenicia.org/theomythology.html

Interesting read if one is interested in creation narratives and genealogies of the ancient gods...

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 08-08-2018 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:30 PM   #7567
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

'Kronos also, in going round the world, gives the kingdom of Attica to his own daughter Athena. But on the occurrence of a pestilence and mortality Kronos offers his only begotten son as a whole burnt-offering to his father Uranus, and circumcises himself, compelling his allies also to do the same. And not long after another of his sons by Rhea, named Muth, having died, he deifies him, and the Phoenicians call him Thanatos and Pluto. And after this Kronos gives the city Byblos to the goddess Baaltis, who is also called Dione, and Berytus to Poseidon and to the Cabeiri and Agrotae and Halieis, who also consecrated the remains of Pontus at Berytus.

'But before this the god Tauthus imitated the features of the gods who were his companions, Kronos, and Dagon, and the rest, and gave form to the sacred characters of the letters. He also devised for Kronos as insignia of royalty four eyes in front and behind . . . but two of them quietly closed, and upon his shoulders four wings, two as spread for flying, and two as folded.

'And the symbol meant that Kronos could see when asleep, and sleep while waking: and similarly in the case of the wings, that he flew while at rest, and was at rest when flying. But to each of the other gods he gave two wings upon the shoulders, as meaning that they accompanied Kronos in his flight. And to Kronos himself again he gave two wings upon his head, one representing the all-ruling mind, and one sensation.

'And when Kronos came into the South country he gave all Egypt to the god Tauthus, that it might be his royal dwelling-place. And these things, he says, were recorded first by Suduc's seven sons the Cabeiri, and their eighth brother Asclepius, as the god Tauthus commanded them.

'All these stories Thabion, who was the very first hierophant of all the Phoenicians from the beginning, allegorized and mixed up with the physical and cosmical phenomena, and delivered to the prophets who celebrated the orgies and inaugurated the mysteries: and they, purposing to increase their vain pretensions from every source, handed them on to their successors and to their foreign visitors: one of these was Eisirius the inventor of the three letters, brother of Chna the first who had his name changed to Phoenix.'
Old 08-08-2018, 11:05 PM   #7568
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
And you need to build a dam to keep out all the rabbit holes that continually flood your mind.
Again with the ad hominem. You have no argument.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:24 AM   #7569
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Interesting website I stumbled across just now...for your examination and comment...some of the best chronological sets I have ever come across relating to Biblical themes...

http://www.argyrou.eclipse.co.uk/myths/bible/index.htm
Old 08-09-2018, 02:50 AM   #7570
Actor
Librocubicularist

Old 08-09-2018, 06:45 AM   #7571
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
Sanchuniathon of Berytus

Chapter X, toward the bottom of the document....https://phoenicia.org/theomythology.html

Interesting read if one is interested in creation narratives and genealogies of the ancient gods...
Thanks, Vigs, I'll check that out.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:48 AM   #7572
boxcar

Quote:
Again with the ad hominem. You have no argument.
I wasn't arguing the Flood, Dumpty. Try to stay awake, lest you stumble into more rabbit holes.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:30 PM   #7573
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
I wasn't arguing the Flood, Dumpty.
No kidding. An ad hominem means you have no argument.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:39 PM   #7574
boxcar

Quote:
No kidding. An ad hominem means you have no argument.
So, if you knew this, why did you bring the Flood up? Oh yeah...blazing rabbit trails is your modus operandi.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:40 PM   #7575
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
So, if you knew this, why did you bring the Flood up? Oh yeah...blazing rabbit trails is your modus operandi.
Don't try to pretend you never bring up the flood. Everyone here knows you do it all the time. When challenged you come up with dishonest posts like the above.