Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 05-29-2016, 08:35 PM   #1
ronsmac

Boston Celtic Dynasty

With no basketball tonight and Game of Thrones an hour away and with Lebron going to 6 straight finals.I got to thinking about the great Celtic teams. They were well before my time so I did a little research. They won 11 titles in 13 years as most people know. Of course there was no free agency so they could keep their core year after year ala the Steel curtain era Steelers. What I didn't totally grasp was the weakness of the Celtics competition and how easy their task was. There were only 8 teams in the league when they won their 1st 4 titles and only 9 teams when they won their next 5 titles. Their 1st title they beat the sensational St.Louis hawks who were 34-38 and their 2nd title came when they beat the mighty Minneapolis Lakers who had a 33-39 record. I wasted most of my day watching them beat the L.A. Lakers in the 1962 finals, and other than Jerry West . I didn't see one NBA quality player. I heard A lot of Elgin Baylor, but after watching him play, I realized he had very little game. The morale of the story is, any of you who enjoy watching Nba basketball. Feel blessed that you're watching Lebron,Curry,Durant etc... The 50s and 60s Celtics were painful to watch and it's almost embarrassing to call that professional basketball. We are seeing the greatest basketball ever played right before our eyes.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2016, 09:08 PM   #2
SCSAYS

Back in the day the Celtics played great defense unlike todays ball. Also no 3's.Witout them GSW would be on the golf course today.
SCSAYS is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2016, 10:29 PM   #3
MutuelClerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac
We are seeing the greatest basketball ever played right before our eyes.
Andre Drummond missed over 1000 free throws this season. Great.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2016, 10:38 PM   #4
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutuelClerk
Andre Drummond missed over 1000 free throws this season. Great.
Curry made over 400 3 pointers. Great. Russell was a center in an era of slow centers other than Wilt and never shot over 46% from the field, even though he never took a shot more than 10 feet from the basket.

Last edited by ronsmac; 05-29-2016 at 10:40 PM.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-30-2016, 09:50 AM   #5
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Basketball PLAYERS are better, but the game isn't, although it's better than it was a few years ago when everything was one guy dribbling, dribbling, dribbling while his four team mates stood around watching.I still prefer the fast break, up tempo game of the (not that) olden days
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply