Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 11-18-2014, 10:08 PM   #1
RunForTheRoses

Anyone from Buffalo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y1m5hPXGsc

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/photo/he...uffalo-n250951
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2014, 12:10 AM   #2
cmp92

Yes I'm from Buffalo. Absolutely insane. Lots of local folks have their horror stories from the Blizzard of '77. Lots of them seem to be ranking this one up there as one of the worst they have ever seen, if not the worst.

I'll put it this way...the area generally averages 90 inches of snow per season. Some of the hardest hit communities are going to end up with close to 90 inches over a period of 3 days.

The areas south of the city traditionally get hit the hardest. We refer to this area as the Southtowns and "Ski Country." As that picture shows, there has literally been a very sharp divide between areas getting pummeled with snow and areas where it's sunny. Folks in North Buffalo and the Northtowns (the name we use to refer to suburbs North of Buffalo) have seen that white wall of snow and the pictures are all over the news now. North Buffalo and the Northtowns have gotten maybe an inch or two. A couple miles away people are getting hammered with 3-4 inches PER HOUR for the last day

That picture was taken in downtown Buffalo. The city has literally been split into two. South Buffalo is one of the areas that got it the worst. But downtown and North Buffalo are totally fine.

Outside my house, I have at least 5 feet. Another 1-2 feet coming tomorrow night leading into Thursday.

The snow is so deep that our regular plow trucks are getting stuck or they simply can't push 5-6 ft of snow. They are contracting out to get high loaders and dump trucks to haul it away.

Just incredible. The worst I've ever seen and we handle snowstorms pretty well. One of the local news stations is starting to report that this could possibly be the greatest snow fall in a period of 24 hours in a populated area in US history.
cmp92 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2014, 01:19 AM   #3
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp92
One of the local news stations is starting to report that this could possibly be the greatest snow fall in a period of 24 hours in a populated area in US history.
Paging Al Gore. Paging Al Gore.

Oops. Global Warming is now Climate Change.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2014, 07:37 AM   #4
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

NYS Thruway closed from Exit 46 Westward. That is my exit, so I get to go to work!
Old 11-19-2014, 08:21 AM   #5
badcompany

Quote:
Yes I'm from Buffalo. Absolutely insane. Lots of local folks have their horror stories from the Blizzard of '77. Lots of them seem to be ranking this one up there as one of the worst they have ever seen, if not the worst.

I'll put it this way...the area generally averages 90 inches of snow per season. Some of the hardest hit communities are going to end up with close to 90 inches over a period of 3 days.

The areas south of the city traditionally get hit the hardest. We refer to this area as the Southtowns and "Ski Country." As that picture shows, there has literally been a very sharp divide between areas getting pummeled with snow and areas where it's sunny. Folks in North Buffalo and the Northtowns (the name we use to refer to suburbs North of Buffalo) have seen that white wall of snow and the pictures are all over the news now. North Buffalo and the Northtowns have gotten maybe an inch or two. A couple miles away people are getting hammered with 3-4 inches PER HOUR for the last day

That picture was taken in downtown Buffalo. The city has literally been split into two. South Buffalo is one of the areas that got it the worst. But downtown and North Buffalo are totally fine.

Outside my house, I have at least 5 feet. Another 1-2 feet coming tomorrow night leading into Thursday.

The snow is so deep that our regular plow trucks are getting stuck or they simply can't push 5-6 ft of snow. They are contracting out to get high loaders and dump trucks to haul it away.

Just incredible. The worst I've ever seen and we handle snowstorms pretty well. One of the local news stations is starting to report that this could possibly be the greatest snow fall in a period of 24 hours in a populated area in US history.
Sounds crazy. Good luck, up there.

― Thomas Sowell
badcompany is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2014, 09:05 AM   #6
cmp92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
NYS Thruway closed from Exit 46 Westward. That is my exit, so I get to go to work!
Yes. The 90 is basically closed from Rochester to the PA line.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:06 AM   #7
cmp92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
Paging Al Gore. Paging Al Gore.

Oops. Global Warming is now Climate Change.
Last winter was the worst in years. It was frigid last year. Plenty of snow too.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:43 AM   #8
Greyfox

Quote:
Last winter was the worst in years. It was frigid last year. Plenty of snow too.
Yes and if this was a heat wave the greenies would be screaming bloody blue murder about carbon dioxide levels are going to cause us to fry.
They usually don't come out when these frigid events are happening.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2014, 11:50 AM   #9
cmp92

Somehow the Buffalo Sabres played last night. If you look at the picture on NBC, the arena is really just a few blocks away from the snow (big gray oval roof).

There is some concern that the Buffalo Bills won't play Sunday. Stadium is in Orchard Park, another town hit hard. They think it might be impossible to clear out all that snow by Sunday.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:33 PM   #10
Rookies
Canadian since 51

I am and have been a frequent visitor to Buffalo, Western NY and the Niagara Region for about 50 years. Twice, I had to deal with these strange climactic phenomena.

The first time, being young and foolish, I did something profoundly stupid, because I didn't know any better. It was ice cold the night before, but without snow, as I crossed at the Ivy Lea Bridge onto I-81. Thought I'd gas up in the US, on route to Pa., with wife and less than 1 year old Son. It was Christmas Eve.

When I crossed, thought, hmmmm... fair dump of new snow they've had here. 15 minutes later, I was in it! Coming down in inches per hour, unable to see 10 feet in front of me, nor either side of I-81. Quickly, very quickly, all exits were blocked and the Highway was reduced to one, sort of middle, travelled lane. Very cold and every 15-30 minutes, we would simply all stop, to snap the wipers and relieve the amount of snow. To demonstrate again how a mile wide and 8 feet deep it was, Radio stations out of Syracuse talked about 1 inch and whether they needed to send out the plots or not.

Nobody knew about us and I could see the gauge heading towards 'Empty'. Nip and tuck, but finally, we broke through and hit a Gas station asap. Frightening.

#2. Years later, returning from a Pa Christmas, we arrived at Batavia. Again, ZERO snow, until a few flakes before Batavia. By the time we had got to the Thruway, 15 minutes later, the entire portion from Rochester to Pa, as closed off- just like today. This time, knowing about the nature of this monster, we decided to drive North to Lake Ontario and turn left to Niagara. All was well, as the wall of snow ws left below. People were buried for days in that one, as I recall.

Good luck to all Buffalonians.
Rookies is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2014, 02:43 PM   #11
BlueShoe

Anyone know any good global warming jokes that they would like to tell? Not a good time though, huh?
Old 11-19-2014, 03:05 PM   #12
cmp92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookies
I am and have been a frequent visitor to Buffalo, Western NY and the Niagara Region for about 50 years. Twice, I had to deal with these strange climactic phenomena.

The first time, being young and foolish, I did something profoundly stupid, because I didn't know any better. It was ice cold the night before, but without snow, as I crossed at the Ivy Lea Bridge onto I-81. Thought I'd gas up in the US, on route to Pa., with wife and less than 1 year old Son. It was Christmas Eve.

When I crossed, thought, hmmmm... fair dump of new snow they've had here. 15 minutes later, I was in it! Coming down in inches per hour, unable to see 10 feet in front of me, nor either side of I-81. Quickly, very quickly, all exits were blocked and the Highway was reduced to one, sort of middle, travelled lane. Very cold and every 15-30 minutes, we would simply all stop, to snap the wipers and relieve the amount of snow. To demonstrate again how a mile wide and 8 feet deep it was, Radio stations out of Syracuse talked about 1 inch and whether they needed to send out the plots or not.

Nobody knew about us and I could see the gauge heading towards 'Empty'. Nip and tuck, but finally, we broke through and hit a Gas station asap. Frightening.

#2. Years later, returning from a Pa Christmas, we arrived at Batavia. Again, ZERO snow, until a few flakes before Batavia. By the time we had got to the Thruway, 15 minutes later, the entire portion from Rochester to Pa, as closed off- just like today. This time, knowing about the nature of this monster, we decided to drive North to Lake Ontario and turn left to Niagara. All was well, as the wall of snow ws left below. People were buried for days in that one, as I recall.

Good luck to all Buffalonians.
These stories are very similar to what people experienced in the past few days. Many people who are stuck on the 90 said one minute they were fine and the next minute they couldn't see anything but snow.

The 90 has been closed since 1:30 Tuesday morning, but by then people were already stuck in snow. The storm actually hit earlier than expected. They were anticipating the storm coming in around 6AM Tuesday. As of right now, they are still trying to get cars out that are stuck in the snow. Still looking at 1-2 feet tonight into tomorrow.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:11 PM   #13
Tape Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShoe
Anyone know any good global warming jokes that they would like to tell? Not a good time though, huh?
Jonathan Gruber is right.
Tape Reader is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2014, 07:15 PM   #14
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Say what you want about the stifling heat down south, but I have never had to shovel thru 6 feet of humidity just to get to my car.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:40 PM   #15
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

NYS Thruway, near Buffalo.......

Attached Images
File Type: jpg snow.JPG (17.5 KB, 70 views)