Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 01-21-2019, 12:28 PM   #256
ultracapper

Brees threw that pick in OT because there was a D lineman with an arm right in his throwing motion area. His arm was hit when he threw. That was good D rather than a poor pass/decision.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2019, 03:34 PM   #257
NJ Stinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
Both games could of gone either way. Just another reason to take the points.
My bets yesterday:
Rams +3
KC - 3
Under 57 - NO
Over 55.5 - KC

I'm not upset because I lost money yesterday. Because I went 3-1 for the day.

I'm pissed because I won on the wrong team. Tom Jackson said something about legacy yesterday that rang true to me. Brees and Payton are never going get this great chance again to reach and maybe win a second Super Bowl for no good reason.

IMO, these guys were always going to keep their money so it's not about the money. Same with Reid. He's always going to be the guy who couldn't beat Belichick in the playoffs but he should have beat him yesterday. It's not Reid's fault a ref guessed it was a blow to Brady's head when it wasn't and then the NFL guessed Edelman really didn't touch that punt after the refs on the field ruled he did.

And Ultracapper, anybody who thinks NE got the worst end of the officiating in KC yesterday must have lost their objectivity on the Patriots years ago.

Anyway, I guess at my age I look at things from a different perspective. It's more about a level playing field for both teams. (My wagers will soon be forgotten.)

Last edited by NJ Stinks; 01-21-2019 at 03:36 PM.
NJ Stinks is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2019, 04:20 PM   #258
elhelmete

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Stinks View Post
My bets yesterday:
Rams +3
KC - 3
Under 57 - NO
Over 55.5 - KC

I'm pissed because I won on the wrong team. Tom Jackson said something about legacy yesterday that rang true to me. Brees and Payton are never going get this great chance again to reach and maybe win a second Super Bowl for no good reason.

IMO, these guys were always going to keep their money so it's not about the money. Same with Reid. He's always going to be the guy who couldn't beat Belichick in the playoffs but he should have beat him yesterday. It's not Reid's fault a ref guessed it was a blow to Brady's head when it wasn't and then the NFL guessed Edelman really didn't touch that punt after the refs on the field ruled he did.

And Ultracapper, anybody who thinks NE got the worst end of the officiating in KC yesterday must have lost their objectivity on the Patriots years ago.

Anyway, I guess at my age I look at things from a different perspective. It's more about a level playing field for both teams. (My wagers will soon be forgotten.)
Refs' fault KC scored 0 points in 30 minutes?
elhelmete is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2019, 05:59 PM   #259
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Stinks View Post
My bets yesterday:
Rams +3
KC - 3
Under 57 - NO
Over 55.5 - KC

I didn't say that. The one PI call in particular, and the 2nd one in general, IMO, didn't really need to be called. There were a lot more flagrant one's not called yesterday than those two.

If you're going to bring up the offside that took the INT away, then your bias has been nurtured longer than mine. That D lineman was well over the line of scrimmage. And the flag was thrown well before the pick, so it's not like the ref threw it to negate the pick. He threw the flag because the guy lined up wrong.

The RTP call that Brady took on the facemask, for sure, could have been kept in the ref's pocket.

Other than those calls, tell me where to go to see where the Chiefs, or the Pats, got roiled yesterday?

Edit: Oh yea, the Edelman thing. That one is a kind of "so-it-goes." Can anybody say for sure whether he touched it or not. Looking at the replay over and over from every angle, you couldn't really see the ball change direction or his fingers or thumbs bend back or flinch in any way. And anyhow, the Chiefs got the ball back 2 plays later with a pick, so even if it was the wrong call, it's not like the Pats did anything but give it right back to them anyhow. The call immediately became a non-issue, except for those who want to make a case for the Chiefs getting ripped off. That's the only value the call has anymore.

Last edited by ultracapper; 01-21-2019 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:15 PM   #260
NJ Stinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper View Post
I didn't say that. The one PI call in particular, and the 2nd one in general, IMO, didn't really need to be called. There were a lot more flagrant one's not called yesterday than those two.

If you're going to bring up the offside that took the INT away, then your bias has been nurtured longer than mine. That D lineman was well over the line of scrimmage. And the flag was thrown well before the pick, so it's not like the ref threw it to negate the pick. He threw the flag because the guy lined up wrong.

The RTP call that Brady took on the facemask, for sure, could have been kept in the ref's pocket.

Other than those calls, tell me where to go to see where the Chiefs, or the Pats, got roiled yesterday?

Edit: Oh yea, the Edelman thing. That one is a kind of "so-it-goes." Can anybody say for sure whether he touched it or not. Looking at the replay over and over from every angle, you couldn't really see the ball change direction or his fingers or thumbs bend back or flinch in any way. And anyhow, the Chiefs got the ball back 2 plays later with a pick, so even if it was the wrong call, it's not like the Pats did anything but give it right back to them anyhow. The call immediately became a non-issue, except for those who want to make a case for the Chiefs getting ripped off. That's the only value the call has anymore.
Two things about the lining up offsides:
1. We never ever got a straight on view from CBS so we can only guess from the angle presented.
2. I see guys who look like they are in the neutral zone a lot. How many times is it called in a game?

About the punt: what about indisputable proof before the call on the field is reversed? What happened to that? "So it goes" indicates nothing can be done about something. "You can't be serious", says I with apologies to John McEnroe.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:01 PM   #261
ultracapper

Front page of Yahoo reports NFL has discussions today about making PI a reviewable play. Belichick has for years supported making anything on the field reviewable. You get 2 reviews, use them on ANYTHING.

Of course, the infallibility of the officiating crew is now brought into question, but what person in their right mind doesn't believe they make mistakes.

NJS, the refs weren't perfect in the KC-NE game. I don't believe either team got the best or the worst of it. I feel pretty certain that the Chiefs didn't lose because of the way the game was officiated in general, or because of the two calls at the heart of our discussion in particular. My main gripe about the officiating in that game was the PI calls against the Pats on that one drive, not because I was pulling for the Pats, but because I thought they were ticky-tack calls. That's my whole viewpoint of the game. Pats outplayed them in the first half, Chiefs showed who they are in the 2nd half, and the Pats proved what's made them who they are in OT. I don't know of a call in that game that cost either team the opportunity to win as it ultimately played out.

As for the offside call, see it as you wish. The CBS angle was blocked, but unless the guy's arm has a severe inward bend to it, it was all that was necessary to come to a reasonable conclusion. Why CBS didn't show other angles makes me wonder. Not showing other angles would seem to be KC biased as it gives KC fans a window to holler out of. But again, the flag was thrown at the snap, long before any ref would have known how the play would play out.

You're right that the call on the field needs to be overturned with indisputable evidence. I guess they thought they had it. I don't think he touched it, from what I saw. Not because I wanted the Pats, but because what I saw over and over told me he didn't. He made a major mistake even addressing the ball in that situation, and got away with a bonehead play, only to let a pass go off his hands two plays later, and get picked off, leading to a KC TD. 54 game seconds after the Edelman "muff", KC scored a TD to put them in the lead 21-17. So, if the call was wrong, it's another example of the refs screwing up. However, not only did it not cost KC the game, it didn't even cost them any points. I understand no game is linear, that the game may have ended up different if that call would have gone the other way, but, "so it goes". There was still plenty of time, and a lead in hand, for the Chiefs to beat the Patriots after the Edelman punt "muff" and the KC TD a couple minutes in real time later.

As a matter of fact, at that time, I thought KC would assert themselves and put NE away. But even with the TD drive in which more yards were gained via penalty than anything the KC offense did, they couldn't do it. What it means to me, is there is no doubt in my mind that of the two KC is the better team, but they aren't quite ready for a New England Patriot team that just flat out knows how to get it done.

Edit: And I don't know if the Los Angeles Rams are ready for them either. There is little doubt in my mind that the Rams are the better team, in all 3 aspects of the game, but they are dealing with a different animal here. A different one than they've ever dealt with before. Ask the Atlanta Falcons. You better play 60 PLUS minutes of the best football of your life.

Last edited by ultracapper; 01-21-2019 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:09 AM   #262
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Rams (+2 1/2) over the Patriots.I doubt that this game will be a blowout but if it is (my definition of a blowout is a team that gets off to fast start on the scoreboard , then holds a 3+ score[ min 17 points]lead throughout the second half),the Rams will be the one.You know what you're getting with New England, but the Rams are young enough that if they hit on all the cylinders, it could be like the Seahawks decimation of Denver a few years ago.And there are some parallels with that game.Young upstarts vs. the elder statesman QB.

The Patriots need to take an early lead.Everybody does of course but this team isn't any younger and a Falcons like comeback may be out of their reach.If the Pats are up a couple of scores at halftime, they will probably win.

Playoffs. (4-5-1)

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: