Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-31-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
rvaccha

Question KY Derby 2011 -tickets and travel question

Hi friends,

I am planning to go to the Kentucky Derby on May 7, 2011. I have never been before and am a Horse Racing enthusiast.

This will be my first trip. I am planing to visit alone but that's fine, better to go alone than not to go! I will be travelling from Houston, TX by flight.

Can someone please guide me on two points:

1) Derby tickets - I am looking to get ONE ticket in a section where I can VIEW the racetrack (live, not screen) and if possible sit, otherwise standing is ok. I do NOT want to spend $500 but upto ~$100 or so is ok. Of course, I can go lower!

I will be renting a car but do not see myself getting to the track very early to secure an infield spot. Furthermore, as I am going alone, a standing spot is no good once I take a bathroom break!

2) Hotels - I have found some hotels in LEXINGTON, KY. Of course Louisville is sold out. Is that reasonably close and a decent drive, or should I look elsewhere? I plan to rent a car, unless the hotel has a shuttle service....I can stay anywhere, so if you suggest another location please tell me

Thanks so much for your help,
Rajesh
rvaccha is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-31-2011, 05:38 PM   #2
tanix

This will be my fourth year in a row going to the Derby. The short answer is that you probably have unrealistic expectations, especially at this late date.

1. Price/availability of Derby tickets: The infield is what, like $60 this year? If you are expecting to get a reserved seat, with a view of the racetrack, for less than $100? I think you are going to be disappointed. You might get amazingly lucky, but I doubt it.

2. Lodging: You are really late on this. I made my reservations in January. You'll have to stay out of town somewhere, although you can probably get closer than Lexington.

3. Renting a car and driving to the Derby itself: This is a really bad idea. You can't imagine the bedlam that you will find at Churchill on Derby day. There are a couple of venues around town that have parking and a shuttle (Papa John's stadium comes to mind) and that will definitely be your best bet.

It's a fun time, but it does require planning.
tanix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2011, 08:32 AM   #3
bitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvaccha
Hi friends,

I am planning to go to the Kentucky Derby on May 7, 2011. I have never been before and am a Horse Racing enthusiast.

This will be my first trip. I am planing to visit alone but that's fine, better to go alone than not to go! I will be travelling from Houston, TX by flight.

Can someone please guide me on two points:

1) Derby tickets - I am looking to get ONE ticket in a section where I can VIEW the racetrack (live, not screen) and if possible sit, otherwise standing is ok. I do NOT want to spend $500 but upto ~$100 or so is ok. Of course, I can go lower!

I will be renting a car but do not see myself getting to the track very early to secure an infield spot. Furthermore, as I am going alone, a standing spot is no good once I take a bathroom break!
2) Hotels - I have found some hotels in LEXINGTON, KY. Of course Louisville is sold out. Is that reasonably close and a decent drive, or should I look elsewhere? I plan to rent a car, unless the hotel has a shuttle service....I can stay anywhere, so if you suggest another location please tell me
Thanks so much for your help,
Rajesh
if you're going the infield route you can still show up around 9-10ish and get a decent spot, you're not gonna be on the fence and not gonna have a clear view of the track (maybe the backstretch), but you can lock a spot in. also, at around the same time parking is not that horrible, you can usually find a business or the papa johns lot to park in for like $25. As far as getting back to your seat, its not usually a problem, until the derby rolls around and then the masses trample your spot in hopes of getting as close as possible to the fence.

lexington is one way to go, but its a good 60+ mile trip from l'viile. If you're flying into L'ville and willing to rent a car i would do that and head south away from the track, places like shepardsville are 20 miles away from churchill but usually offer hotels at a fraction of the price.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:47 AM   #4
Fingal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanix

3. Renting a car and driving to the Derby itself: This is a really bad idea. You can't imagine the bedlam that you will find at Churchill on Derby day. There are a couple of venues around town that have parking and a shuttle (Papa John's stadium comes to mind) and that will definitely be your best bet.

It's a fun time, but it does require planning.
I'd even forget about the shuttle. People arrive & leave for Churchill at different times so going is one thing, but at the end of the day everyone is trying to leave at once so it's a zoo. We parked at Papa John's & walked to Churchill. It's not that far, both sides of the street have sidewalks & you'll run into some interesting characters trying to buy / sell tickets.
Fingal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
wisconsin

Realisticly, you won't find tickets for $100. I just sold on ebay two of my tickets in sec 224 for $500 each. Sold my four Oaks tickets for $90 apiece. Only got the chance to buy because I bet enough with Twinspires. Maybe section 128, near the gate, you can get tickets for $200 or so, but you have to request a year in advance.

You have to buy both Oaks and Derby tickets, and the cheapest (sec 128) are $170 per ticket to start with (2 days). Tough to get anything.

Going to Indiana Downs on friday and staying in Shelbyvill, IN for $85 (Hampton Inn), getting up at 6am Saturday and heading down.

Last edited by wisconsin; 04-01-2011 at 12:06 PM.
wisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2011, 03:48 PM   #6
BIG49010

Your expectations are way off, 1000 -1500 to see the race, 300- 500 for a place to sit down and see very little, 75 for infield and see lots of tits & ass.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:59 PM   #7
The Hawk

Don't do the infield, you'll be miserable. Do whatever you need to get the cheapest seat you can, likely in the 100's (128-125?) on the grandstand side.
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: