Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-19-2021, 10:25 PM   #76
Psychotic Parakeet
Sartin Methodology Fan

It is nothing short of a miracle that nothing major happened. Look at this photo:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 211039327_3506247776144912_6826698591703002917_n.jpg (82.1 KB, 38 views)
Old 07-20-2021, 05:06 AM   #77
Augenj
Top Horse Analytics

Pretty violent looking picture and pretty violent looking when I watched on TV.
Augenj is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2021, 09:52 AM   #78
Andy Asaro

Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2021, 10:48 AM   #79
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
I really don't believe any jockey on this incident. Remember, jockeys have a professional obligation to lie about incidents that cause DQ's. They NEVER admit "I fouled him" even when they did.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2021, 11:06 AM   #80
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I really don't believe any jockey on this incident. Remember, jockeys have a professional obligation to lie about incidents that cause DQ's. They NEVER admit "I fouled him" even when they did.
People are using this to attack the whip rule. I personally think the rule in New Jersey is probably going too far, but I don't think it is near the issue many others do.There hasn't been a single incident I've seen or heard about until the Haskell and I think it is being falsely blamed in that case.

No, I've never ridden a horse (at least in a race) but I find that argument silly anyway. I've seen thousands and thousands of races. I don't think the lack of using a whip had anything to do with this. Prat was looking to engage Mandaloun on the inside and simply cut it too close IMO. Everything about his body language and the way he moved tells me he wanted to move inside, not that the horse drifted on its own. He did nothing to try to stop it.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2021, 11:31 AM   #81
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Prat was looking to engage Mandaloun on the inside and simply cut it too close IMO. Everything about his body language and the way he moved tells me he wanted to move inside, not that the horse drifted on its own. He did nothing to try to stop it.
And in most cases that would be a mistake. My brother, who works as mnr's clocker and identifier, has the sharpest eyes I know of, and has hustled book for numerous leading jocks, used to chastise his riders for allowing a wide-mover with momentum to drift in next to an opponent. Gary said that turns a test of finishing kick into a test of guts by giving the inside horse a chance to get brave. And he's right.

Last edited by mountainman; 07-20-2021 at 11:32 AM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2021, 11:35 AM   #82
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
All out hand urging in a million dollar race. Not much time for thinking just reacting. No doubt in my mind that Prat uses the whip at any other track
How does a journeyman jockey use the whip at Monmouth for safety reasons and a jock like prat doesn’t.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2021, 11:39 AM   #83
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
How does a journeyman jockey use the whip at Monmouth for safety reasons and a jock like prat doesn’t.

Allan

https://www.horseracingnation.com/ne..._advantage_123

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2021, 11:53 AM   #84
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:

Allan
Graded stake and purse $$$
Old 07-20-2021, 11:55 AM   #85
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
And in most cases that would be a mistake. My brother, who works as mnr's clocker and identifier, has the sharpest eyes I know of, and has hustled book for numerous leading jocks, used to chastise his riders for allowing a wide-mover with momentum to drift in next to an opponent. Gary said that turns a test of finishing kick into a test of guts by giving the inside horse a chance to get brave. And he's right.
I'd agree unless it is a horse known to pull itself up in the clear. Don't think HRC has every really shown that to my eye but maybe the connections thought so as the removal of blinkers and O'Neil's comments before the race seemed to suggest.
Old 07-20-2021, 12:01 PM   #86
mountainman

Quote:
I'd agree unless it is a horse known to pull itself up in the clear. Don't think HRC has every really shown that to my eye but maybe the connections thought so as the removal of blinkers and O'Neil's comments before the race seemed to suggest.
Not saying it's the case here, but lots of trainers like to rationalize that an out-finished horse in their care never saw or was fully engaged by the winner, and thus had untapped resources. It's usually self-comforting nonsense. Sometimes engendered by jocks.

Last edited by mountainman; 07-20-2021 at 12:04 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2021, 12:05 PM   #87
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Hearing was Friday, no news yet.
Old 07-20-2021, 12:20 PM   #88
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
That's a good point. Here's a good example:

Every horse Game on Dude saw, he fought off. But he didn't see Drosselmeyer because that one was way out in the middle of the racetrack.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2021, 12:26 PM   #89
GMB@BP

Quote:
People are using this to attack the whip rule. I personally think the rule in New Jersey is probably going too far, but I don't think it is near the issue many others do.There hasn't been a single incident I've seen or heard about until the Haskell and I think it is being falsely blamed in that case.

No, I've never ridden a horse (at least in a race) but I find that argument silly anyway. I've seen thousands and thousands of races. I don't think the lack of using a whip had anything to do with this. Prat was looking to engage Mandaloun on the inside and simply cut it too close IMO. Everything about his body language and the way he moved tells me he wanted to move inside, not that the horse drifted on its own. He did nothing to try to stop it.
Given your description, whats a fair suspension for such a ride?
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2021, 12:29 PM   #90
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
That's a good point. Here's a good example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i6A_Sr6Cvo

Every horse Game on Dude saw, he fought off. But he didn't see Drosselmeyer because that one was way out in the middle of the racetrack.
ahhhh good times, remember that day/night well.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply