Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-20-2021, 12:36 PM   #91
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Given your description, whats a fair suspension for such a ride?
I don't follow that stuff enough to even give an opinion.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2021, 11:53 AM   #92
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
People are using this to attack the whip rule. I personally think the rule in New Jersey is probably going too far, but I don't think it is near the issue many others do.There hasn't been a single incident I've seen or heard about until the Haskell and I think it is being falsely blamed in that case.

No, I've never ridden a horse (at least in a race) but I find that argument silly anyway. I've seen thousands and thousands of races. I don't think the lack of using a whip had anything to do with this. Prat was looking to engage Mandaloun on the inside and simply cut it too close IMO. Everything about his body language and the way he moved tells me he wanted to move inside, not that the horse drifted on its own. He did nothing to try to stop it.
Dead on Balls accurate.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:57 AM   #93
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Given your description, whats a fair suspension for such a ride?
There's no set protocol.

The rule of thumb is regular DQ 3 days.

DQ with a spill 7.

DQ with a spill and injury 10+.

Contrition at the film review hearing goes a long way to help mitigate a longer sanction.

Multiple offenses are also taken into consideration.
Old 07-22-2021, 12:02 PM   #94
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

My apologies if this is a bit of thread drift, but why do the stews even bother interviewing the jockeys when there's a foul claim?

The video should tell the whole story.
If one jock happens to be a more eloquent speaker he/she may be able to sway the decision, esp when we have so many jocks to whom English is a second language (I'm presuming they speak to the stews in English).
Old 07-22-2021, 12:28 PM   #95
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post
My apologies if this is a bit of thread drift, but why do the stews even bother interviewing the jockeys when there's a foul claim?

If one jock happens to be a more eloquent speaker he/she may be able to sway the decision, esp when we have so many jocks to whom English is a second language (I'm presuming they speak to the stews in English).
In my experience I've found it very beneficial speaking to the jockeys. Of course for the most part they can be expected to advocate their position. Not always (Russell Baze).

What I found beneficial was often they would have me look at the films in a different way. It lead to seeing things from another perspective. It's amazing how often I didn't see something very important until the 6th or 8th or whatever number of times I watched the same incident.

Needless to say the jocks have a unique perspective that I can't possibly have.

I always felt the more tools I could use to make the best possible decision the better.

I tended to frustrate my fellow Stewards in that I was VERY slow in finally deciding. However, I felt a few extra minutes was best to be completely sure.

Well as sure as any Steward can be. Remember the vast majority of decisions are 100% subjective. A qualified opinion.
Old 07-22-2021, 12:30 PM   #96
v j stauffer

Quote:

Interpreter's are used if a rider doesn't speak English. Sometimes another rider not involved in the incident or often times a valet.
Old 07-22-2021, 01:52 PM   #97
dilanesp

Quote:

The same reason you want to talk to witnesses, even self-interested ones, in any situation.

I.e., when the rider actually is innocent or not as guilty as it looks, he or she can provide useful information to the stewards. "Actually he bumped me just before I came in, so he caused it rather than me." And then the stewards look at the film and see that bump which they missed.

Even ordinary people are remarkably good at this type of factfinding. Juries are actually very, very good at telling the difference between someone shilling and spinning and someone who is providing them with useful information they did not know. I am sure that experienced stewards can see through all the typical jockey BS while also utilizing important information when the jockeys provide it.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2021, 10:45 AM   #98
burnsy
self medicated

Well, just a great interview with Johnny V. By Seth Merrill on the OTB channel. Pretty much said what I thought a jockey in his standing would say. The guy has won every big race in this business, some multiple times. Not having the whip is dangerous. The horse has its own mind and if he can’t use that whip they don’t respect his tugging and it’s a lost cause. He said this was coming no matter what but he was surprised it happened in the biggest race. He said he puts the horses first and the jockeys. If the horse falls the jockey falls. IMO I thought it was a risky rule and his opinion confirms it for me. I really wouldn’t know , but there aren’t many better than this man. If Johnny V says that rule is not good , that’s good enough for me. You got people that couldn’t play kick ball backing it. Who you gonna believe?

Last edited by burnsy; 07-24-2021 at 10:47 AM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2021, 05:05 PM   #99
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
...Seth Merrill...
Seth Morrow.
Old 07-24-2021, 05:14 PM   #100
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Seth Morrow.
Seth Merrow.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2021, 05:38 PM   #101
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
Seth Merrow.
No wonder I couldn't find it, but hey, that was closer than burnsy!
Old 07-24-2021, 05:54 PM   #102
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
No wonder I couldn't find it, but hey, that was closer than burnsy!
OK...
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2021, 11:39 AM   #103
alhattab

7 days for Prat
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2021, 12:06 PM   #104
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhattab View Post
7 days for Prat
he is taking them at los all 2024