Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:29 PM   #61
Indulto
Veteran

New York City backs merger of OTB, NYRA By Matt Hegarty Daily Racing Form
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/news/story?id=2682908

Quote:
The City of New York would support a merger between its New York City Off Track Betting Corporation, the largest bet-taker in the U.S., and the three tracks operated by the New York Racing Association …

OTB and city officials had never before stated that they supported an alliance between the two companies.

… in 2005, New York City OTB lost $8.2 million, on handle of over $1 billion. OTB has lost money over the past four years.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:15 PM   #62
Indulto
Veteran

Bruno gave ``pork'' to firm connected to businessman in probe By MARK JOHNSON
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/newyork/ny-bc-ny--bruno-lobbyist1206dec06,0,7312602.story?coll=ny-region-apnewyork
Quote:
ALBANY, N.Y. -- Senate Majority Leader Joseph Bruno directed $500,000 in state funding to a private company connected to a businessman being investigated for providing Bruno with free air travel, state records show.

The Empire State Development Corp. grant to Evident Technologies Inc., a private nanotechnology company based in Bruno's district, received the "pork-barrel" spending at Bruno's request. Initial funding for Evident came from an investment firm run by Jared Abbruzzese, according to a news report posted on the company's Web site.

Abbruzzese … is also part of Empire Racing Associates, one of several groups seeking the lucrative state franchise to operate thoroughbred racing in New York. Bruno, an avid horseman, has a say in which group will run racing in the state.

There are other connections between Bruno and Evident. One of the company's board members is Wayne Barr Jr., also a founding member of Abbruzzese's TechOne Capital Group, according to Evident's Web site. Bruno appointed Barr to the New York Racing Association's board, which currently has the state racing franchise. Barr resigned in May.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:44 PM   #63
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

It's amazing little was made (at the time) of Bruno's son working as a lobbyist for Magna Corp. early on in this whole NYRA debacle....

Now other possible conflicts of interest are rearing their ugly heads. What a shocker!
Old 12-07-2006, 11:56 AM   #64
the little guy

One of the biggest problems is that save Steve Crist nobody in the NY area RACING media has given this entire thing any coverage ( why is beyond me ). Thus, the local papers, the News, The Post and the NY Times, had little to say about the issue. Now, however, their " real " writers have seen this is an interesting story, most likely because of the Steinbrenner/Yankees link to Excelsior and the " recomendation ". Thus, as these are capable reporters, they have had no trouble uncovering a whole host of juicy stories intertwined in this sordid tale.

Why let a good story interfere with playing the early double or late Pick-4.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:29 PM   #65
point given

More Bruno

Here is another column on the subject which you may find of interest from the Albany Times Union.

For-profit company gets aid
Firm with ties to Bruno received unusual grants

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/sto...date=12/6/2006
Old 12-07-2006, 04:42 PM   #66
saratoga guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
One of the biggest problems is that save Steve Crist nobody in the NY area RACING media has given this entire thing any coverage ( why is beyond me ).
I've been mystified for months now that virtually no one out there has pursued the story of the Lottery "stonewalling" the OK for slots at AQU.

With that decision costing the state millions -- that's a story that goes beyond horse-racing.

(A nod to Mark Mulholland of upstate TV station WNYT for taking a look at this a couple of months ago and getting an unacceptable -- from a taxpayer's standpoint -- "no comment" from a Lottery rep he ran down in front of their offices, after they wouldn't return his calls.

But otherwise, virtually nothing on the topic from the NY media.)
Old 12-07-2006, 05:30 PM   #67
PlanB
Veteran

My latest thoughts on this NYRA debacle:
#1, I was offering 15:1 against NYRA, now my latest offer is 8:1.
#2, EVERYTHING awaits Eliot Spitzer.
#3, It's shoddy that no newspaper hasn't picked up the revenue loss to NY
with this long-overdue slot situation. Something's afoot Dr Watson.
#4, The OTB-NYRA merger is what reduced my offer to 8:1. Then the State
of NY would get very serious with wagering bucks.
$5, Eliot Spitzer's father owns (a) extensive real estate in NY PLUS (b) A large,
large horse farm in NY. ummm, I'm not sure what that means but I include
that for the paranoid among us.
#6, MAGNA is a total non-contender.
#7, It's a slug fest between NYRA & Excelsior. ps, isn't that Excelsior group
such a grand name?
Old 12-07-2006, 06:55 PM   #68
Indulto
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanB
… It's shoddy that no newspaper hasn't picked up the revenue loss to NY with this long-overdue slot situation. Something's afoot Dr Watson.
PB,

I’d have referenced Dr Scholl there, myself.

There have been sporadic editorials, but not simultaneously or repetitively. Most published references have been quotes by NYRA representatives and supporters. And then we had the Kerry-esque situation where (former?) NY State Comptroller, Hevesi -- after scalding NYRA for its scandalous supervisory skill deficiencies -- reversed his sentiments to eventually make the strongest public statement regarding the overdue slots, only to be subsequently silenced by scandalous spending of his own.
Quote:
MAGNA is a total non-contender.
Quote:

… It's a slug fest between NYRA & Excelsior. ps, isn't that Excelsior group such a grand name?
IMO Empire might still have a shot if they jettisoned MAGNA and Churchill to separate themselves from anti-Stronach sentiment, MEC financial statements, and CDI corporate staff slicing.

They should also squelch the spin every time Perlee opens his mouth. Excelsior's strength seems to be the relative silence over its political relationships.

May I propose a new slogan for NYRA supporters: EXCORIATE EXCELSIOR.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:07 PM   #69
PlanB
Veteran

Excoriate?

Wow, I looked it up & that's the perfect word: DENOUNCE EXCELSIOR? yeah, let's give the real New Yorkahh, NYRA, another shot? Giving the franchise to
EXCELSIOR is akin to OutSourcing horseracing. NO F'N WAY.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:22 AM   #70
Murph
Public Handicapper

Desperate Plea or Crafty Ploy?

http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=36647
Empire Racing Willing to Increase Funds to Secure Franchise
by Tom Precious
Date Posted: 12/6/2006 3:42:25 PM
Last Updated: 12/7/2006 12:05:08 PM

"Empire Racing Associates said it is willing to put more money on the table for the state of New York in order to win the franchise to run racing over the next 20 years at Aqueduct, Belmont, and Saratoga racetracks."

This is an interesting debate and I hope that whatever happens, NY racing gets what it deserves. It looks like there is so much complicated in-fighting over every aspect of the new award that it will never be settled to anyones satisfaction.

The chance of Empire landing the bid are summed up nicely in the last paragraph of this article.

"State officials involved in the selection process, though, have voiced concerns about the many Empire stakeholders from around the United States and Canada that could dilute the influence of New York racing. None of the Empire partners hold more than a six percent stake in the group, which Perlee said was done to ensure no one entity dominated the organization."

The article mentions a comment that the Excelsior bid is the most favorable for all involved, including the bettors. Do the thread posters think that this is true for the best interest of horse players as well as the best overall for the longterm health of NY racing?

Tough questions.

Murph
Old 12-08-2006, 09:14 AM   #71
aaron

I haven't read any proposal that is interested in providing anything that would be favorable to the bettors,or anyone who attends the track.If someone has seen any proposal favorable to the bettors,please post it.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:27 AM   #72
Bruddah
Veteran

The bettors (fans)

are nothing more than the fodder that feeds the grist mill. Certainly, after all of the prior treatment received by bettors, from the racing industry, why should it change? Their methods/strategy for handling the bettors has always been "Shut Up and Put Up".
Old 12-08-2006, 09:56 AM   #73
aaron

Excelisor,the article says is the most favorable bid,including the bettors.What exactly do they in tend to do for the bettor ?
Old 12-08-2006, 10:12 AM   #74
garyoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron
Excelisor,the article says is the most favorable bid,including the bettors.What exactly do they in tend to do for the bettor ?
It is only what they have done and will do for the crook Spitzer. In unrelated to racing, but related to his character, Wall Street Journal has another editorial on what a shake-down artist and sleaze Spitzer is: (the link is from their free opinion journal site)

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1165...ojcontent=otep

Last edited by garyoz; 12-08-2006 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:36 AM   #75
kenwoodallpromos

Influence

"could dilute the influence of New York racing".
Are they sure they just do not want to dilute the influence of NY cronyism?
Closed Thread