Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 06-02-2015, 01:03 PM   #1
Laminarman

Stupid question about pools

I'm really quite new to this. As a matter of fact, the first bet I ever made was this year's derby, and hit for 3 grand on a trifecta. Obviously now I'm studying all I can. I use Twinspires. What is the deal with these players pools? Do folks usually use them? They have a 100,000 dollar one that will be hitting a variety of picks Thur through Sat. Thank you. I enjoy this forum. Don't flame me if this is a stupid question!
Laminarman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-02-2015, 01:13 PM   #2
Ocala Mike

Not a stupid question, but a stupid bet, in my opinion. My past experience the few times I participated was one outright loss and two "scores," where I think I got less than an even money return. Go it yourself - more fun and more profit potential.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-02-2015, 01:16 PM   #3
DeltaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminarman
I'm really quite new to this. As a matter of fact, the first bet I ever made was this year's derby, and hit for 3 grand on a trifecta.
So, you mean that your first bet ever was a $30 straight trifecta?

Interesting....
Old 06-02-2015, 01:16 PM   #4
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
I'm really quite new to this. As a matter of fact, the first bet I ever made was this year's derby, and hit for 3 grand on a trifecta. Obviously now I'm studying all I can. I use Twinspires. What is the deal with these players pools? Do folks usually use them? They have a 100,000 dollar one that will be hitting a variety of picks Thur through Sat. Thank you. I enjoy this forum. Don't flame me if this is a stupid question!
Not a stupid question.

The "Pools" that you are referring to is a $100K pool in which you invest money that Twinspires experts make wagers for the investing public. If any of those wagers win, you'll get your proportionate share of the winnings.

It is a way for smaller players to get involved with large tickets spread across a number of horses for a relatively cheap price. Not many people play 4 and 5 figure tickets.

Throwing in $10 - $20 isn't a bad idea. Say they hit the Pick 6 with a bomb or 2 that pays $450K. Can be well worth the time for a minimal investment.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-02-2015, 01:50 PM   #5
BlueChip@DRF
Random Numbers Generator

Location: In the grandstand looking under the seats for tickets or food
Quote:
It's not the question that you will be flamed on….
Old 06-02-2015, 02:04 PM   #6
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaLover

Interesting....
And he is asking US for advice? We should be asking HIM...
Old 06-02-2015, 03:54 PM   #7
Laminarman

Quote:

Interesting....
Uh...yeah. Kinda funny, huh? And I also hit the exacta. About $3700 if I remember correctly. Kinda spoiled me dang it.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:57 PM   #8
Laminarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
And he is asking US for advice? We should be asking HIM...
Let's call a spade a spade here. I did as much as I could with what I knew and I happened to pick the right combo. I had a total of about $60 in bets and didn't expect much. I was floored when I won. Now...let's look at the Preakness...not so much success there. Lost my shirt. Do NOT look to me for advice. I had beginners luck. I've been trying to keep logs and do win only bets to see where my strength lies and I'm only about 30% wins (not by ROI only by W vs L to see how good I am at picking my own winners.) Not impressive. I use DRF but have just started using Brisnet. I'm not even sure how to bet the Belmont now with what odds we'll get.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:29 PM   #9
PICSIX
Mike Schultz

Quote:
I've been betting on horses for 30 years, best advice, quit why you're ahead
Old 06-02-2015, 08:07 PM   #10
Laminarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PICSIX
I've been betting on horses for 30 years, best advice, quit why you're ahead
This is NOT what I wanted to hear ; ) I think it's a riot. Mostly because it's not mindless like pulling a slot machine handle. I can actually try to use what little brain power I have. It's a steep learning curve I'm finding however.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:14 PM   #11
thaskalos

Quote:
This is NOT what I wanted to hear ; ) I think it's a riot. Mostly because it's not mindless like pulling a slot machine handle. I can actually try to use what little brain power I have. It's a steep learning curve I'm finding however.
I think you are pulling our leg here, Laminarman. You made your very first wager on a horse a month ago...and you collected $3,700 on a $60 investment...while hitting the Derby trifecta for a $30 straight ticket. And you are telling us that you've already determined that there is a "steep learning curve" in this game? Are you sure you aren't telling us what you think we want to hear?
Old 06-02-2015, 08:27 PM   #12
Some_One

Anyone know what the best score for these player pools have been? It seems to be they just hit the all button everyrace hoping for bombs and might gets 3 or 4 to one on your money in the end at best.
Some_One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-02-2015, 08:52 PM   #13
magwell

Quote:

Interesting....
Yep your right anyone thats been in this game for a while is not buying that one.........
Old 06-03-2015, 07:34 AM   #14
upthecreek

It amazes how many people on here refuse to believe a guy can get lucky@ the track the first time he goes(seen it often) but are willing to accept the BS the democrats throw out there at face value
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2015, 08:02 AM   #15
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthecreek
It amazes how many people on here refuse to believe a guy can get lucky@ the track the first time he goes(seen it often) but are willing to accept the BS the democrats throw out there at face value
Do you have to bring the politics BS into the main forum? Also, it's not that people can't win the first time out, it's that if I was making my first bet, the odds are that it wouldn't be a $30 straight trifecta in a 20-horse field. It sounds unlikely, doesn't it? Now back to your playpen.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply