Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 06-03-2015, 08:03 AM   #16
jk3521
Registered Loser

Wait a second, is your real name Laminarman or Letterman ?
jk3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2015, 08:29 AM   #17
upthecreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01
Do you have to bring the politics BS into the main forum? Also, it's not that people can't win the first time out, it's that if I was making my first bet, the odds are that it wouldn't be a $30 straight trifecta in a 20-horse field. It sounds unlikely, doesn't it? Now back to your playpen.
Lighten up ,just a joke And YES I believe him I have no reason or proof not to
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2015, 09:14 AM   #18
Laminarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
I think you are pulling our leg here, Laminarman. You made your very first wager on a horse a month ago...and you collected $3,700 on a $60 investment...while hitting the Derby trifecta for a $30 straight ticket. And you are telling us that you've already determined that there is a "steep learning curve" in this game? Are you sure you aren't telling us what you think we want to hear?
You're killing me here. I am not pulling anyone's leg at all. Let's put this in perspective: I read all I could, played a few bets on Twinspires (I didn't even know what "boxing" meant so I ignored that.) Yes, I won that much. But LISTEN: I lost $500 on wagers on the Preakness. I was feeling pretty damn good about myself. And I've lost several hundred since then on a variety of races. Trust me when I tell you I'm also getting frustrated. I guess I got lucky and it spoiled me but I liked the taste of what I got. Now my challenge will be to make smart bets on the Belmont and not lose too much.
Laminarman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2015, 10:23 AM   #19
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminarman
You're killing me here. I am not pulling anyone's leg at all. Let's put this in perspective: I read all I could, played a few bets on Twinspires (I didn't even know what "boxing" meant so I ignored that.) Yes, I won that much. But LISTEN: I lost $500 on wagers on the Preakness. I was feeling pretty damn good about myself. And I've lost several hundred since then on a variety of races. Trust me when I tell you I'm also getting frustrated. I guess I got lucky and it spoiled me but I liked the taste of what I got. Now my challenge will be to make smart bets on the Belmont and not lose too much.
There definitely is such a thing as beginner's luck in gambling; I know because it happened to me. IMO...it's a curse, and not a blessing. If you don't know what "boxing" is...then you have no business making $30 straight trifecta bets. The smart thing is to keep your bets down in the beginning...so you can learn the game on the cheap. The fact that you wagered $500 in the Preakness after betting $60 in the Derby also shows a certain recklessness that is fatal to a horseplayer. Learn all you can about the game first...and save the big bets for later. Bravado in the heart of a beginning horseplayer is an invitation for disaster.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:00 AM   #20
Gallop58

Luck

Studies using the online poker historical data have shown that a player winning early on was one of the major determinants of their future play. Illusion of skill: one of the best marketing hooks there is.

And no, I don't have any info regarding the original question!
Gallop58 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2015, 11:04 AM   #21
nellanod

Player Pool

I invested $20.00 in one of the pools in 2012--won the pick 6 and
a pick 4----I GOT FORM W-2G FOR GAMBLING WINNINGS--gross
winnings $8.19 and $2.05 federal income tax withheld. The Truth
nellanod is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2015, 11:06 AM   #22
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminarman
Uh...yeah. Kinda funny, huh? And I also hit the exacta. About $3700 if I remember correctly. Kinda spoiled me dang it.
Laminar, if you would, tells us the bets you made in the Derby that totaled $60, just so we can get that cleared up. Also, tell us who prompted you to make these specific wagers at these amounts, or were they your own strategy?
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2015, 11:21 AM   #23
Laminarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall
Laminar, if you would, tells us the bets you made in the Derby that totaled $60, just so we can get that cleared up. Also, tell us who prompted you to make these specific wagers at these amounts, or were they your own strategy?
Numbers off a little bit but here's what I bet for the Derby, totaling $80 not $60. Apologies. Looked it up but there's LOT of losses after this. And my strategy for the Preakness was reckless, I won't be doing that again.

I bet this exacta twice and I do NOT know why to be honest.

Exacta #18, #10 $20 (did this twice, once early morning once right before the race based on God knows what...)
Trifecta #18,#10,#8 $20

Losing bets:
$5 to win on Danzig
$5 to win on Firing Line
$10 to win on Dortmund

Correction ten to win on Frosted not Dortmund

Last edited by Laminarman; 06-03-2015 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:38 PM   #24
Laminarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall
I just read this post again Replay. Nobody prompted me to make them and I didn't have any real strategy. I felt confident AP was coming in on top. I think at least for me, it was a no brainer to include Dortmund and I read something about Firing Line and just simply put him second. I think, looking back, these were just my choices and I played them and figured if I lost, I lost. I'm fortunate that I can afford to blow $100 or more weekly and it was not really a big deal. For the Preakness I boxed stuff, I keyed stuff, I tried to cover my bases and then Tale of Verve killed me. It was stupid and without any real strategy. I've been reading a lot since and I've read that a person who is good at crafting bets will out play a good handicapper and I can see why. I got lucky, but have not been lucky since. I'm smart enough to know when I'm throwing money away which is why I'm here trying to learn more. Thanks for the feedback so far.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:45 PM   #25
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PICSIX
I've been betting on horses for 30 years, best advice, quit why you're ahead
Too funny.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2015, 01:43 PM   #26
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthecreek
Lighten up ,just a joke And YES I believe him I have no reason or proof not to
This has nothing to do with lightening up. Politics has absolutely NO PLACE in the horse racing section (unless it's a political story directly relating to racing, like all the NYRA crap these past few years).

I'm sorry I missed your post, or I would have deleted it immediately...

Hopefully, next time, I won't be so slow.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply