Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #61
Stillriledup
Veteran

I think as time has gone on, the GG riding colony has gotten much stronger, especially in recent times. Dennis Carr and Juan Hernandez are excellent riders who could compete at any track imo and guys like Frank Alvarado and Billy Antongeorgi are no slouches either.

Russell would have many less wins if he rode regularly in So Cal or in the 'big leagues' but his greatness, to the fans and bettors, is his ability to day in and day out, race after race without fail, ride a heady and smart race, i think that his brain and his race strategy is as good as anyone out there and that's what seperates him from many riders.

Can he make as much 'speed' as the top riders in the game? Absolutely not, but if i had my last dollar and had to win my last bet, i would probably seek out a R Baze mount to make that wager on.

I watch a TON of video replays as i'm sure you all do to, and what i see is that not every jock who is riding at top tracks is actually good. Some jocks, who USED to be good and currently employ a top and well connected agent, continue to get mounts despite being 'unbettable' for the most part. Sure, those jocks will win a ton of races just due to the numbers game and their agent getting them on top mounts, but for the most part, some jocks are higher up on the pecking order than their actual talent and you can't count on them to always ride well.

I guess the 64 dollar question might be this. Should we hold it against a human racing participant who chooses to be the big fish in the small pond? I think Russell's wins and all his success are totally taken into context by racing fans across the globe, we all know he isnt beating the elite riders in America on a regular basis, but if you watch Golden Gate on a daily basis, handicap their races, watch video replays the night before while preparing for your betting day, you will see that not only does Russell always seem to have his horse in position, but he rides the hair off every horse all the way to the wire....if you need Russell to hang on for 3rd or 4th in the final race (maiden 8 claimer) tri or super, you can expect he will do everything in his power to get that board spot. You certainly can't say that about every jock.

Greatness is what you make it out to be and as a bettor, when i lay my 2 dollars down on the nose, i'm hoping to get a professional ride, i'm hoping my jock handicapped the race the night before, puts his horse in favorable position, rides belly down all the way thru the wire and gives me my money's worth. Russell is one of the very best at giving you your money's worth....that's all you can ask.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #62
forced89

Russell Baze reminds me of David Gall, a jock who often led the nation in wins in the 60s and 70s. He rode mostly in Southern Illinois and dominated.
forced89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2013, 11:30 PM   #63
pondman

I made $3,100 hundred dollars today (Victorias on fire in the 5th) betting as I've repeatedly suggested. Find a horse ridden by an unknown coming in from S. Cal. Avoid Russell Baze in all races.

I've had a conversation with Chad Schvanevelt a few years ago. He said the key to Russell Baze is that he doesn't make any movements on a horse. He sits perfectly still so that other jockeys don't know when he is making a move. He's got strength and body control. You don't see him flailing around. You don't know if he is asking a horse, and then he all of a sudden gets away from you. Plus he will do all the defensive riding, wedge you, force you inside-- all of the thing many horses won't do.

I disagree with the strength of the colony. There were a few years when they had Baze, Rafeal Meza, Warren, and Hansen.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:32 AM   #64
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondman
I made $3,100 hundred dollars today (Victorias on fire in the 5th) betting as I've repeatedly suggested. Find a horse ridden by an unknown coming in from S. Cal. Avoid Russell Baze in all races.

I've had a conversation with Chad Schvanevelt a few years ago. He said the key to Russell Baze is that he doesn't make any movements on a horse. He sits perfectly still so that other jockeys don't know when he is making a move. He's got strength and body control. You don't see him flailing around. You don't know if he is asking a horse, and then he all of a sudden gets away from you. Plus he will do all the defensive riding, wedge you, force you inside-- all of the thing many horses won't do.

I disagree with the strength of the colony. There were a few years when they had Baze, Rafeal Meza, Warren, and Hansen.
Where does the top 4 best riders at GG (Baze, Hernandez, Carr and Frank A) rate in the grand scheme of things? We know they're not as good as the elite jocks in So Cal and we know they're not as good as the Gulf/Keeneland jocks, but where do you put these guys, who else is ahead of them?
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2013, 12:46 AM   #65
Sunday Silence

Hollendorfer better than Baze

Baze tried his hand at the Big Leagues in So Cal and got his lunch handed to him. Great jockeys will dominate anywhere. Look at Rosario. Holllendorfer on the other hand can hang at big tracks and in big races. Especially if he owns the horse. Watch out.
Sunday Silence is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2013, 02:32 AM   #66
pondman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Where does the top 4 best riders at GG (Baze, Hernandez, Carr and Frank A) rate in the grand scheme of things? We know they're not as good as the elite jocks in So Cal and we know they're not as good as the Gulf/Keeneland jocks, but where do you put these guys, who else is ahead of them?
It's really an issue of who wants to ride in a $4,000 claimer. Who is willing to duck inside and try and make a cowboy move along the rail for $400? They can't really refuse or they are history

Baze, himself, is in a league of his own. He keeps showing up for work. He's a hall of famer. Everyone needs to respect him. Would I bet him? No.

There are young kids who show up at the gate who'll do crazy riding. This stuff is much more dangerous than you think. I was visiting a trainer at Bay meadows a few years ago and a chick got toss over the fence onto the asphalt. It was a long way down. A group of trainers were standing around talking about how their workmen's comp was going to go up. It's a tough business.

The last super Jock that rode at the Gate was probably Matt Garcia. He drilled Baze right off the bat and so I started betting him, made some money. These kids aren't going to stay at the Gate for ythe money if they've got any gonads.

Dennis Carr tried to make it in the Great LakesRegion ( couldn't do it at finger Lakes.) Alvarado? He doesn't ride what I bet. All of my success comes from the unknowns, the Francos (bugged at SA) , guys who ride in the morning at SA, and guys such as Sanchez who rides in the morning (I made $22,000 off a ride by Sanchez/ Moss) and David Lopez.

Do I thing they are good horsemen? Yes. They can survive in the business. But do I think they could handle the competition in Florida. No. They'd never make it in N.Y. or in S.Cal. They stick it out for the summer fairs, with $3,200 claimers. And that's okay. They are regular people with families and kids. But they aren't the big leagues. They're not going to have any Breeder cup bios or derby mounts. And they know they won't get the phone calls.

Last edited by pondman; 04-21-2013 at 02:38 AM.
pondman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2013, 03:53 AM   #67
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondman
It's really an issue of who wants to ride in a $4,000 claimer. Who is willing to duck inside and try and make a cowboy move along the rail for $400? They can't really refuse or they are history

Baze, himself, is in a league of his own. He keeps showing up for work. He's a hall of famer. Everyone needs to respect him. Would I bet him? No.

There are young kids who show up at the gate who'll do crazy riding. This stuff is much more dangerous than you think. I was visiting a trainer at Bay meadows a few years ago and a chick got toss over the fence onto the asphalt. It was a long way down. A group of trainers were standing around talking about how their workmen's comp was going to go up. It's a tough business.

The last super Jock that rode at the Gate was probably Matt Garcia. He drilled Baze right off the bat and so I started betting him, made some money. These kids aren't going to stay at the Gate for ythe money if they've got any gonads.

Dennis Carr tried to make it in the Great LakesRegion ( couldn't do it at finger Lakes.) Alvarado? He doesn't ride what I bet. All of my success comes from the unknowns, the Francos (bugged at SA) , guys who ride in the morning at SA, and guys such as Sanchez who rides in the morning (I made $22,000 off a ride by Sanchez/ Moss) and David Lopez.

Do I thing they are good horsemen? Yes. They can survive in the business. But do I think they could handle the competition in Florida. No. They'd never make it in N.Y. or in S.Cal. They stick it out for the summer fairs, with $3,200 claimers. And that's okay. They are regular people with families and kids. But they aren't the big leagues. They're not going to have any Breeder cup bios or derby mounts. And they know they won't get the phone calls.
I think you must mean Martin Garcia.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #68
bigchump

Baze holds the Santa Anita track record for 1½ miles on turf set on October 14, 1989, aboard the 3-year-old colt, Hawkster.
He also rode in two Derbys and finished double-digits both times.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:11 PM   #69
Gallop58

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchump
Baze holds the Santa Anita track record for 1½ miles on turf set on October 14, 1989, aboard the 3-year-old colt, Hawkster.
He also rode in two Derbys and finished double-digits both times.
Ahemmm.... Not anymore. (Track record)
Bright Thought nabbed a new WR on the same course just recently.
Gallop58 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2013, 12:03 AM   #70
picojim

nice long article in the NY Times about Baze

http://www.nytimes.com/projects/2013...t=introduction
picojim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2013, 03:49 AM   #71
fouroneone

Excellent article. Not just a great story about Russell's life and career but a great look into the state of our sport in general outside of NYRA and Kentucky.
fouroneone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #72
Midnight Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVGfan
nice long article in the NY Times about Baze

http://www.nytimes.com/projects/2013...t=introduction

Great piece. Thanks for sharing. MC
Midnight Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Reply