Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-26-2019, 09:28 AM   #16
dnlgfnk

Colonial Affair.

I was experimenting with the objective premise that the worse the fig and/or beaten lengths, the worse the trip, and that it deserved to be excused if any case could be made. I have retained much of that philosophy.
dnlgfnk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2019, 09:36 AM   #17
Bennie

I have been around long enough to have caught a few, the best being horses like Lemon drop, Birdstone, Palace, Commendable and Summer Bird along with others like Afleet Alex, Point Given,AP Indy and Empire Maker. i have had my best success playing horses that I like in the Derby and Derby futures that didn't win. Those have always been my automatic first bets then I handicap the Belmont race after. i learned the hard way when I had bet Tonilist and Commissioner in the futures and Derby and than didn't bet a dime on them when they ran in the Belmont. I think the exacta came back around $325 or so for a $2 box on those two.
Bennie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2019, 11:57 AM   #18
dilanesp

I crushed Editor's Note. For some reason, that year there were a ton of speed horses entered, so Editor's Note figured to get the fast pace he needed.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2019, 01:30 PM   #19
BlueChip@DRF
Random Numbers Generator

Location: In the grandstand looking under the seats for tickets or food
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie View Post
I have been around long enough to have caught a few, the best being horses like Lemon drop, Birdstone, Palace, Commendable and Summer Bird along with others like Afleet Alex, Point Given,AP Indy and Empire Maker. i have had my best success playing horses that I like in the Derby and Derby futures that didn't win. Those have always been my automatic first bets then I handicap the Belmont race after. i learned the hard way when I had bet Tonilist and Commissioner in the futures and Derby and than didn't bet a dime on them when they ran in the Belmont. I think the exacta came back around $325 or so for a $2 box on those two.
You were there for the wedding but didn't come to the funeral?
Old 05-26-2019, 03:34 PM   #20
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
LDK paid $61.50W, $26.00P, $10.50S. It was Charasmatic's run at the Triple Crown.

The 6-2 Ex of LDK and Vision and Verse was $1,537.00. It was a fun Belmont.
he must have paid $6 in the Travers, i have a poor memory lately. great horse any case for Scotty!
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2019, 03:37 PM   #21
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
Not gonna lie, I've had a few.

Birdstone. Summer Bird. Jazil. Tapwrit. Palace Malice. Afleet Alex.

And of course, my namesake. Lemon Drop Kid.

I think my best ever was the belief in Palace Malice to get it done after his Derby meltdown.
I keyed Caveat in 83 in the late DD with 2 horses in the 9th. I can’t remember those horse but one of them won for a big score for a 15 year old. I didn’t hit a Belmont again until Touch Gold won and that hurt a little because he was coupled with a horse that i hated.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2019, 04:22 PM   #22
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Even though he didn't win, my best bet was Commissioner, who got nosed in the last jump by Tonalist at somewhere around 30-1.
Made a very nice score....woulda been one of my biggest single race scores had he hung on for the win.
He ran a huge race up front that day.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:29 PM   #23
Wabash

Had the Birdstone, Smarty Jones, Royal Assault $2 trifecta in 2004. If I remember it paid around $1600.
Wabash is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-27-2019, 01:28 PM   #24
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post
Even though he didn't win, my best bet was Commissioner, who got nosed in the last jump by Tonalist at somewhere around 30-1.
Made a very nice score....
That was the one I did well on, too. Had the exacta. Was very high on Commissioner.

Last edited by clicknow; 05-27-2019 at 01:29 PM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2019, 09:14 PM   #25
LemonSoupKid

The two romps I also had were Afleet Alex and Point Given, with some exactas. I still believe those two horses were every bit as good as "Triple Crown" horses we've seen recently, ie American Pharoah and Justify.

I also remember I had Tonalist as a pick 4 and other exotic wagers against Chrome.
LemonSoupKid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2019, 11:34 AM   #26
wisconsin

Sarava by far the biggest payer for me, but had just diddly poo on him

Editor's Note in 1996 was a decent one as well, and last year I had a sizable exacta and enough on the super.

Just not a race I have been able to cash on enough, though.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:47 PM   #27
NY BRED
GARY

MOST MEMORABLE BELMONT FOR ME

1993: My favorite female jockey, Julie Krone winning the 1993 Belmont
with Colonial Affair

and the equally famous Rags to Riches beating Curlin the 2007 Belmont

The best part[ my wife an I were seated 20 feet from the finish line at
both races..

::
NY BRED is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-30-2019, 02:24 PM   #28
chiguy

I don't bet the kind of money most of you on the board do but straight win wager was Drosselmeyer. My biggest almost was the trifecta and superfecta in 2014. Loved Commissioner, had him in the first and second spots with California Chrome. Had him only in the second position with CC as a saver. Had Tonalist all over my tickets but not 1st, Commissioner 2nd. Got the exacta a couple of times but had third and fourth (both 4th horses) on the tri and super. So close to a huge hit. God I hate it when you are all around it and it is just a question of ticket structure that determines winning and losing.
chiguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-30-2019, 02:32 PM   #29
thaskalos

The best Belmont Stakes wager that I've ever made was the $10 token win-bet that I lost on Smarty Jones in 2004, because I wanted a souvenir of what I perceived to be the last Triple Crown winner of my lifetime. All the other Belmont wagers that I've ever made have cost me a lot more money than that.

Last edited by thaskalos; 05-30-2019 at 02:45 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-30-2019, 02:52 PM   #30
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY BRED View Post
1993: My favorite female jockey, Julie Krone winning the 1993 Belmont
with Colonial Affair

and the equally famous Rags to Riches beating Curlin the 2007 Belmont

The best part[ my wife an I were seated 20 feet from the finish line at
both races..

::
My play on Editor's Note was my biggest Belmont score.

But no Belmont made me happier than Rags to Riches. I had a bunch of trip notes on all her races in southern California. She was ridiculously impressive, circling fields on speed biased and often rail biased strips, losing all sorts of ground around both turns, and winning for fun anyway. I wanted them to run her in the Derby. (As it turned out, the 2007 Derby was extremely strong, so who knows what would have happened.) But she was from Better Than Honor, who had already thrown a Belmont winner, so the Belmont, coming off the Kentucky Oaks, was fine with me.

To see her outduel Curlin, and then to see what Curlin turned out to be, was one of the most personally satisfying races I have ever seen, because it meant that everything I had said about this filly being much better than her speed figures was in fact accurate.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply