Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Selections

Old 04-28-2019, 11:40 AM   #1
Teach

Belmont: Sunday, April 28

Race One:

EVERY PAZIBLE was “pin-balled between two flippers” at the start in his last race in late March. That inauspicious start, for all intents and purposes, compromised any chance that this Unbridled’s Song-bred bay colt had of gracing the infield tote. In fact, in the early stages, this 3-year old was languishing at the rear of the field. Yet, as the field reached the far turn, the Panamanian-born jinete, Jose Lezcano, guided this colt to the outside. This Broken Vow-bred finished with a degree of energy. Although this Mission Impazible-bred did finish 5th (he wasn’t far removed from coming in 3rd)), he did show promise, despite that ill-begotten beginning. In his favor, he is facing slightly weaker. He retains the services of the aforementioned Lezcano, who has been as hot as a petardo. This colt’s trainer, Charlton Baker, does well with both routes and dirt starts. However, nota bene: I would counsel “buying insurance”. Just in case this colt has “gate issues”. Others: 6, 3, 7.

Race Two:

CALCULATED RISKER comes about as close to being an MTO as any horse in this route that has been taken off the grass and will now be run on the main at one mile and a ‘teenth. Yes, this bay horse has been away for a while; yet he should take to his new, wet-track surroundings. This Into Mischief-bred can “get the distance”. Ray Handal trains; Dylan Davis has his feet in the stirrups. A solid morning work bolsters confidence. Others: 4, 6, 9.

Race Three:

SUREMONEY finished 3rd in a similar race a couple weeks ago. This Bank Heist-bred colt took the early lead in that one but was headed at the top of the stretch and finished over five lengths behind the winner. Apprentice Ben Hernandez reprises the ride. Hernandez must ration out this 4-year old’s speed if he has any chance of winning. This Maria’s Mon-bred does have an affinity for a wet track; he should move up with expected rain. Eduardo Jones is this colt’s conditioner. Others: 3, 4, 1.

Race Four:

FINANCIAL SYSTEM can run all day. This 5-year old gelding picks up the services of Jose Ortiz. Yes, he’s been away from the races for a while, but this Twirling Candy-bred’s morning works have been both good and consistent. “Mechanicsville Chad” Brown trains. Others: 4, 2, 3.

Race Five:

Midnitesalright broke her maiden convincingly a little over one month ago. She now moves up to face n2L company. Yet, in her current form, this 3-year old Midnight Lute-bred is most capable of prevailing, once again. Manny Franco reprises the ride for the most capable equine conditioner, Jason Servis. Servis does particularly well with maiden winners of their last race. I believe today’s 6-panels event is this filly’s “Goldilocks” distance. This Bernardini-bred should benefit both from her outside starting post and today’s wet-track conditions. Others: 2, 1, 3.

Race Six:

LOVELY LA LA was last seen in mid-to-late October, 2018 participating in the 200k Ticonderoga; she finished a fading 7th and last. This Uncle Mo-bred has had a lengthy winter respite and is now set to resume her previous winning way. I believe a yielding surface would work to her advantage. This filly should be out and going when the gates open. Jose Ortiz is in the irons; Chad Brown trains this daughter of Sarah’s Please who produced 2 winners out of 4 starters and one turf stakes winner. Others: 3, 6, 5.

Race Seven:

SPICE ROAD seemed to break a step slow in a her first pari-mutuel start in mid-March, yet this bay colt (I’d like to see this well-bred 3-year old going longer) came on like Silky Sullivan in the stretch and narrowly missed catching the eventual winner, Stilts. As I watched the replay, I thought to myself (although I knew the outcome), “No way is this horse going to narrowly miss winning this race!” In fact, on the far turn, this Street Sense-bred was languishing near the rear of the field. He was, as I call it, “treading water”. However, as soon as this colt reached the top of the stretch, with the aid of DD’s left-handed urging, this colt took off “like a bat out of hell!” He was “pickin’ ‘em up and layin’ ‘em down.” And, to add to my approbation for this A.P Indy-bred’s chances, he should move up on a wet track. Dylan Davis reprises for trainer Kiaran McLaughlin. McLaughlin does very well with horses making their 2nd career start. Others: 7, 5, 9.

Race Eight:

MISS HOT STONES gets my tepid, lukewarm nod in this 6-panels race. This 4-year old bay filly should relish the off-going. The wet-track pedigree is there, e.g., Bustin Stones, City Zip, E Dubai, etc. This Bruce Levine-trainee has been most competitive in this company; she’s hit the tote in 5 out of her 6 lifetime tries. Rajiv Maragh is in the irons. A recent-decent morning work bolsters confidence. Others: 7, 6, 3.

Race Nine:

FEAR NO EVIL gets my nod. I believe this Lion Heart-bred mare will benefit both from a yielding surface and her outside starting post. This True Sensation-bred has his the board in 5 out of 6 lifetime tries at this 6-panels distance. The veteran reinsman, “Jersey Joe” Bravo, is in the irons for trainer Tom Albertrani. Others: 6, 5, 4.

Race Ten:

MAGIC FAIRY gets my nod in the finale, a race that has been taken off the turf and will be run on the main. This bay filly has an excellent wet-track pedigree, both on the “top” and “bottom. You can add to the equation the services the veteran jinete, Javier Castellano. Monsieur Christophe Clement trains. Others: 4, 10, 11.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply